Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trigger_tre

What kind of Fortress do you have around your PC?

43 posts in this topic

Its possible this has been started before but I didnt see it so here it is.

What kind of securities do you use regularly on your pc?

Currently I use ALL free stuff. Why buy when you can get it for free?

• Spybot Search & Destroy
  • Ad-Aware SE Personal
  • SpywareBlaster
  • AntiVir PE Classic ver.7
  • Firefox 1.5 as main Browser
  • HiJackThis 1.99.1
  • Windows SP2
  • Windows Firewall + built-in router Firewall + ISP's Firewall
  • I will probably use Windows Defender too, when it comes out of BETA. So long as it plays well with my other safeguards.

I used to use ZoneAlarms but its such a picky resource HOG, that I dropped it and settled for just the windows built in firewall

Had this pc about 11 months and no problems yet. (knock on wood)

-trigger

-------------------------

trigsidx18it.gif

I can't afford the 80$ a year to upgrade Norton. It's a waste of money anyway. My computer runs faster without that anti virus crap on it. The ISP and Windows Firewalls seem to do their jobs, aside from overloading my RAM and causing my computer to crash when I lost one too many Google Earths by accident, I have no problems at the moment. 9.gif

I use quite a few programms to protect my computer:

Norton Anti Virus Full Suite

Zone Alarm

Spybot Search and Destroy

Ad Aware SE

Windows Firewall

Firefox as my main browser.

Havent had that many problems.

Great. A thread where hackers can come figure out what programs they need to get by to hack certain people. No Thanks. 4.gif

Norton Internet Security w/firewall 2005.  It s very cheap to use norton if your smart, When 2006 came out  the price of  2005 droped like a rock. 1 free year of upgrades and when i need to upgrade 2007 will be out so ill buy 2006 ect ect.

+ Spybot S&D and Ad Aware SE. those three usually wil cover all the automatic spyware/bots and dataminers. if some one gets though those its probaly someone with a personal thing for you.

heh, thats funny... I don't have any protection tool, and I have the windows firewall always turned off. This works for me since like one year. However, once I feel that my computer is running slower than it should, I simply format the hard drive and reinstall everything. There isn't much data on my system anyway.

Great. A thread where hackers can come figure out what programs they need to get by to hack certain people. No Thanks.quote>

Your kidding right. LoL, how many hackers dont already know several million people use the same programs that I do. Now thats just silly.

heh, thats funny... I don't have any protection tool, and I have the windows firewall always turned off. This works for me since like one year. However, once I feel that my computer is running slower than it should, I simply format the hard drive and reinstall everything. There isn't much data on my system anyway.quote>

WOW. I can most certainly garuntee you have several keyloggers, dialers, etc. on your pc. It would behoove you to ad least download Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware. Download one of them, update it and run a system scan. I will garuntee you have some uglies on your pc already.

Geez no protection, no firewall. Ever heard of the phrase "if you play with fire, your gonna get burned

burn26jn.gif

-trigger

-------------------------

trigsidx18it.gif

I have all freeware blockers as well, they include:

1... Mcafee firewall (Free version)

2... AOL spyware protection*

3... AOL virus protection (Powered by Mcafee)*

4... AOL computer checkup*

5... AOL phishing protection*

6... AOL spam protection*

7... All stuff Windows XP provided with my computer

* anything with an asterix means its in AOL Safety and Security center I downloaded from AOL. As you can see most of the things are from AOL. I use AOL, and thats why most of stuff I have my computer is from AOL. Everything is working for me so far.

I don't have anything on my Machine and it runs fine(but it's not connected to the internet 3.gif )

On this PC I have...

eTrust EZ Firewall

eTrust EZ Antispam

eTrust EZ Pest Patrol

eTrust EZ AntiVirus

Spybot Search&Destroy

Microsoft AntiSpyware

Norton Antispam(Is currently not updating until I renew it)

Firefox 1.5

Linksys Router Firewall(not fully Activated so not fully protecting)

Windows Firewall(never figured out how to get the thing to work so...)

As you can tell just from all that..I have alot of stuff protecting me...mostly Back up systems in case one goes down...as well as

Differnt scanners to look for differnt things..so if Microsoft AntiSpyware finds nothing then maybe PesPatrol will...and this usally works against most threats...though the Antivirus couldn't remove the ST virus back in November Last Year(It not a threat anymore so don't PM me!!) so I had to remove it myself..

Just the normal:

Norton Internet Security

Norton Systemworks

Spybot: S&D

Ad-Aware

Spyware Blaster

Windows Firewall

My parents keep trying to install our ISPs security suite, but it uses over 400MB of RAM! :0 Thankfully, I'm to 1337 for them.

WOW. I can most certainly garuntee you have several keyloggers, dialers, etc. on your pc. It would behoove you to ad least download Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware. Download one of them, update it and run a system scan. I will garuntee you have some uglies on your pc already.

Geez no protection, no firewall. Ever heard of the phrase "if you play with fire, your gonna get burnedquote>

haha, like I care 3.gif I've got a new computer within a few weeks, and this one is a budget computer that can't even run old games. So I don't care. This budget computer deserves nothing more. Ask I-will-crush-u.
    ...Okay, I might be a bit evil...

haha, like I care I've got a new computer within a few weeks, and this one is a budget computer that can't even run old games. So I don't care. This budget computer deserves nothing more. Ask I-will-crush-u.quote>

Would you treat your new pc the same way? Just seems arrogant not to use the available resources, especially when they are free.

Do you use the same thougth process when your deciding to brush your teeth? Bathe?

Rooten teeth....

haha, like I carequote>
    ........Bad body odor....
    haha, like I carequote>

Just curious2.gif

-trigger

-----------------------

trigsidx18it.gif

I have McAfee Securit Suite, as well as Windows Defender Beta and Adaware SE. I also use Firefox as my browser, and Windows Firewall.

I've got my college's copy of Symantec AntiVirus, as well as the three best defenders against computer viruses:

Chuck Norris, Teppo Numminen, and Jay McKee.

Originally posted by: N_O_Body

It would be a secuity breach for me to tell you. My security officer whould lift my clearance if I responded to this.quote>

Best response on the page.  10.gif

I run the usual layered defense most computer geeks use plus I'm sitting behind two hardware firewalls (one is an old computer that I use as an internet server and the other is built into a router) as well as an enterprise level software firewall.  My bank is easier to get into than my computer.

McAfee virus protection, ZoneAlarm firewall, router firewall, Firefox as main browser. I have Spybot and AdAware but I never use them because I have zero spyware. I just ran AdAware for the first time in 180 days (brand new defnintions) and it didn't find a thing.

By Ratieya455: I have Spybot and AdAware but I never use them because I have zero spyware. I just ran AdAware for the first time in 180 days (brand new defnintions) and it didn't find a thing.quote>

I am curious what scan you did with Ad-ware.

• Was it a "Smart System Scan"?
  • Was it a "Full System Scan"?
  • Was it a "Custom Scan"?
  • Did you scan for "ADS"?
  • Just curious

-trigger

-----------------------

trigsidx18it.gif

Originally posted by: Trigger_tre
    haha, like I care I've got a new computer within a few weeks, and this one is a budget computer that can't even run old games. So I don't care. This budget computer deserves nothing more. Ask I-will-crush-u.quote>
    Would you treat your new pc the same way? Just seems arrogant not to use the available resources, especially when they are free. Do you use the same thougth process when your deciding to brush your teeth? Bathe? Rooten teeth....
    haha, like I carequote>
    ........Bad body odor....
    haha, like I carequote>
    Just curious-trigger quote>
    no, I'm not like that! sorry for sounding that arrogant 3.gif ofcourse I will protect my new computer well, with lots of tools like Avast! antivirus, microsoft firewall and antispam, and maybe some other tools. The only thing I don't care about is my current computer, thats all 3.gif I even care about my rabbit (which is ofcourse very good protected against evil threats).

Originally posted by: SamFlash

Originally posted by: N_O_Body It would be a secuity breach for me to tell you. My security officer whould lift my clearance if I responded to this.quote>
    Best response on the page.  I run the usual layered defense most computer geeks use plus I'm sitting behind two hardware firewalls (one is an old computer that I use as an internet server and the other is built into a router) as well as an enterprise level software firewall.  My bank is easier to get into than my computer.quote>

I smell the makings of a fort-knox there.18.gif

In an ideal world, I would have a triple-firewall similar to what  you are using.  However, since I don't have that kind of money, I run the standard stuff.

Originally posted by: Voar Tok

Originally posted by: SamFlash
    Originally posted by: N_O_Body It would be a secuity breach for me to tell you. My security officer whould lift my clearance if I responded to this.quote>
    Best response on the page.  img] I run the usual layered defense mos
    I smell the makings of a fort-knox there.%7Boption%7Di/expressions/18.gif" border="0' alt='18.gif" border="0'> In an ideal world, I would have a triple-firewall similar to what  you are using.  However, since I don't have that kind of money, I run the standard stuff.quote>

Actually it's not expensive.  The computer is about 6 years old now and if I wasn't using it for an internet server it would be sitting in someones recycle bin somewhere.  It's pretty simple to turn an old computer into an internet server.
    The router is 4 years old and can be purchased new today for about $65.  I use Panda Enterprise Suite which does cost a little but since I'm running it on 5 different computers, it's cost effective for what I believe is the best anti-virus and firewall setup for my needs.  I also use ProcessGuard, CounterSpy, WinPatrol Plus, SpyBot S&D, SpywareBlaster and Ad-Aware.  

You can set up a pretty good defense using free programs and when I build a computer for others I usually install free programs and let them upgrade to paid versions if and when they want. 10.gif

Really, that wouldn't be that expensive, but being a high-schooler without an allowance, that is out of my price range right now.18.gif

Really, that wouldn't be that expensive, but being a high-schooler without an allowance, that is out of my price range right now.quote>

Just do like I did and use everthing that is free. If you have the interent then you already have your ISP block most of the junk out their. If you have dsl then most likely you can set the router to act as a secondary firewall. If you have Windows SP2 then it has a built in firewall, for free.

All the other stuff is free. Like you I am a poor college boy. Luckily I have a sugar-momma for a wife. 9.gif

-trigger

-----------------------

trigsidx18it.gif