Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mrmallorca

Diffrent ways of installing custom buildings

As I am a newbie here, and just starting to try installing custom buildings, I'm having some problems understanding how.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com43.gifffice43.gifffice" />>3.gif>

Well, from all the famous readme files that almost everyone has different installation instructions, I think I managed to understand how to REALLY install/place everything.>3.gif>

3.gif>

Correct me if I'm wrong please!!

Way 1: Installing all the files, *.sc4lot, *.sc4desc and *.sc4model files, directly under
My Documents\SimCity4\Plugins as follows:>3.gif>

\ Plugins>3.gif>

|____ blabla.SC4DESC>3.gif>

|____ blabla.SC4LOT>3.gif>

|____ blabla.SC4MODEL>3.gif>

3.gif>

Way 2: Having everything organized with subfolders under
My Documents\SimCity4\Plugins as follows:>3.gif>

\ Plugins>3.gif>

|____\ blabla-Building>3.gif>

|____\ blabla-Grow>3.gif>

|____\ blabla-Plop>3.gif>

|____  blabla.SC4MODEL

Mind you; technically, it doesn't matter at all where the files are, and how many sub-folders you have (as long as you don't have too 'deep' folder structures, which may slow down the game, as the BSC team found out).

What's important is that YOU find the stuff in case you want to remove it from your plugins. Thus, you might even think of more categorization by folders, e.g. by occupant type (RCI) or by creator name, or whatever you prefer.

In this context, your "Way 1" is a very direct way - into total chaos. 2.gif

"Way 2" is definitely a lot better in terms of keeping an overview of your installed plugins.

I think it's the best to have things organised in subfolders. if you want to delete something its much easier to know what file belongs to which building