Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vidioman

I like to killing trees!

From the Austin American-Statesman

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/03/11tree.html

Vandals strike at woman who cut down tree

Travis Heights homeowner said she tried to save oak, thought resentment had died down.

image_2631239.jpg

Deborah Cannon

AMERICAN-STATESMAN

Carolyn Barkley may have to pay $1,500 to get the 'I like to killing trees' graffiti off her home. She said she's been getting calls asking 'What tree killing service do you use?'

By Tony Plohetski

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Carolyn Barkley thought anger toward her for cutting down an oak tree to build a new house in her Travis Heights neighborhood had evaporated after nearly three years.

She learned Friday that wasn't the case.

Barkley, who rents out a two-story limestone house on Kenwood Avenue, got a phone call from a neighbor saying someone had painted "I like to killing trees" in large black letters across the front of her house.

The vandal also drew a couple of trees and dollar signs.

"It had been 2 1/2 years, and I thought, 'We are all adults. Let's get on down the road,' " Barkley said. "I thought the opposition had died down."

Her family has owned the lot where the house was built for more than 50 years.

Barkley said she decided to build the house in 2003 and open it to renters until she moved closer to downtown from Southwest Austin.

She said that she had tried to save the tree by building the house closer to the curb than city ordinance allows but that her request was denied amid neighborhood opposition.

The garage now sits where the tree used to stand. Barkley said the home is vacant now.

Barkley said she has recently gotten several phone calls from a man who refused to identify himself and asked, "What tree killing service do you use?" and "Are you the one who killed the tree?"

She said he may have taken her phone number from a "for rent" sign in the yard.

On Friday, Barkley fielded offers from work crews willing to remove the graffiti.

The best offer she got was $1,500.

Barkley said she is disappointed that someone would damage her property but that she still loves the house and Travis Heights.

"There are wonderful people in this neighborhood," she said.

tplohetski@statesman.com; 445-3605

Apparantly, the vandal has the IQ of a tree, with that horrendous spelling of his. Sure, save the trees, but, you know. There are more important things than trees.

Yet, I've met much brighter, and more amiable trees than most of those extremist enviromentalist green heads. 3.gif Some people are just nuts.

Yeah, I guess they can't spell... maybe the trees wrote it.

Anyways, I really don't like when people cut down trees.. especially my area because it is the 4th fastest growing area in the country... shopping centers and homes going everywhere! But in any case, I would never go crazy and vandalize someones property like that... that's just terrible.

We do what we can. When we moved into this new house, the builder supplied us with two trees (at our expense) of our choice. We chose a Norway Spruce and a Green Ash.

Since then we have added: A paper birch, a lilac tree (not a bush), a white pine, a flowering crab, nine junipers of variious subtyes, a red maple, another green ash, a sugar maple, a russian olive, two red oaks that will be big when my great grandchilren are old, a volunteer maple that appeared under the original green ash, a native nut tree cluster (two stems) that self-seeded, another TUO (tree of unknown origin), and the pi

Typical. I don't know what it is about people that makes them feel they have a right to control every aspect of land they don't own. It would be different if this women were building some huge office tower or opening a garbage dump or something, but she wasn't. She was simply building what city planning allowed on land that she owned. The neigbourhood had its input in the process when they vetoed her attempt to build the house closer to the curb. It makes me sick. I say if you want to control what goes on across the street or next door, buy the land or shut up.

Oh well...a tree had to be cut down to build a house...A forest has to be cut down to build Wal-Mart...how come there is no giant ALL YOUR TREE ARE BELONG TO US on Wal-Mart? Actually...I'm probably going to have to cut down a tree to hold a concert at my church...if I have to do this, I'll plant a few more....It's a tree...as long as you plant new ones when you cut them down for fairly silly purposes (I don't think a home is a silly purpose)...then it should be fine.

Originally posted by: N_O_Body

We do what we can. When we moved into this new house, the builder supplied us with two trees (at our expense) of our choice. We chose a Norway Spruce and a Green Ash. Since then we have added: A paper birch, a lilac tree (not a bush), a white pine, a flowering crab, nine junipers of variious subtyes, a red maple, another green ash, a sugar maple, a russian olive, two red oaks that will be big when my great grandchilren are old, a volunteer maple that appeared under the original green ash, a native nut tree cluster (two stems) that self-seeded, another TUO (tree of unknown origin), and the pi

Vid: Yeah, it's something that could be avoided, but needs to be done just to make things work out better...if someone is building a house, it just has to happen, simple as that.

OK, so someone defaced her place because she cut down a tree?  That's ridiculous.  Yeah, trees are important, but it's not like they can't be replanted or something like that.

We do what we can. When we moved into this new house, the builder supplied us with two trees (at our expense) of our choice. We chose a Norway Spruce and a Green Ash.

Since then we have added: A paper birch, a lilac tree (not a bush), a white pine, a flowering crab, nine junipers of variious subtyes, a red maple, another green ash, a sugar maple, a russian olive, two red oaks that will be big when my great grandchilren are old, a volunteer maple that appeared under the original green ash, a native nut tree cluster (two stems) that self-seeded, another TUO (tree of unknown origin), and the pi

Well I am quite a fan of protecting the enviroment i.e by protecting trees but I don't like it when people turn to criminal methods to do so. It just gives enviromentalists a bad name.

If you think "environmentalists" are not OK, what do you think about PETA?quote>

oh Dont get me started on PETA.

Buncha wackos.

Originally posted by: Easy Bakes

If you think "environmentalists" are not OK, what do you think about PETA?quote>

oh Dont get me started on PETA.

Buncha wackos.quote>

Yeah, I'm an enviromentalists because, of course, I want our enviroment to better for our health and Earth's beautification. I just hate it when all these shopping centers go up that are tearing down our trees in the process and are causing gross pollution everywhere.

But when it comes to PETA. I will agree.... they are wacko. They just should not be doing what they do. Although some of the policies of PETA are good, their actions are a totally different story.

Originally posted by: vidioman

I love PITAs, but I hate PETA. PETA however, I like. Peaple Eating Tasty Animals. Yum!quote>

Exactly.

thier a waste of space, time and effort.
every year in texas you  hear a story about someone who  has a ranch with horses or LLamma's on it that they just pretty much ignore, feed infrequently, dirty water,no excerise and living in filth. or you hear about  dogs turning up dead in allyways all tore up from dog fighting rings. Where is PETA? Throwing fake blood on some model or  protesting  at a Tyson plant.
 But i guess actuly going out and helping distressed animals dont make as good a headline. freeks

Originally posted by: vidioman

I love PITAs, but I hate PETA. PETA however, I like. Peaple Eating Tasty Animals. %7Boption%7D Yum!quote>

Exactly.

thier a waste of space, time and effort.

every year in texas you

Originally posted by: Micah

Originally posted by: vidioman I love PITAs, but I hate PETA. PETA however, I like. Peaple Eating Tasty Animals. %7Boption%7D Yum!quote>
Exactly. thier a waste of space, time and effort. every year in texas you  hear a story about someone who  has a ranch with horses or LLamma's on it that they just pretty much ignore, feed infrequently, dirty water,no excerise and living in filth. or you hear about  dogs turning up dead in allyways all tore up from dog fighting rings. Where is PETA? Throwing fake blood on some model or  protesting  at a Tyson plant.  But i guess actuly going out and helping distressed animals dont make as good a headline. freeksquote>
I know! I just hate it when they do that. I tell ya... some groups like PETA just go too far.quote>

I once saw an interview with a guy from PETA that said that we should make it illegal to eat fish because fish can feel pain.  The interviewer asked him if we should incarcerate the bear because he ate a fish.  The guy replied back saying that the bear was doing what comes naturally, and nothing should be done about that.

After that PETA guy said that, I thought to myself "Yeah, and so am I."10.gif

Originally posted by: Voar Tok

I once saw an interview with a guy from PETA that said that we should make it illegal to eat fish because fish can feel pain.  The interviewer asked him if we should incarcerate the bear because he ate a fish.  The guy replied back saying that the bear was doing what comes naturally, and nothing should be done about that. After that PETA guy said that, I thought to myself "Yeah, and so am I."quote>

Thats exactly what im talking about, no logic at all.
Man is an omnivore deal with it.

Originally posted by: Voar Tok

I once saw an interview with a guy from PETA that said that we should make it illegal to eat fish because fish can feel pain.

Damn that woman is ugly....

Should've painted "I like to looking hideous" instead....3.gif

No, seriously, don't paint things on people's houses. There are proper places for graffiti, this isn't one of them.

People do crazy things sometimes....21.gif

That was quite over-zealos of them, they didn't even prepare what they were going to write on the house - 'I like to killing trees?' what the hell is that? It was probably just some drop-out schoolkid that was dared into doing it, you know the types that think they will be cooler if the boy next door says it will make him cooler.

As for the man ringing her and asking her the questions, that is pretty lame even for the above's standards - I would have actually sent her a letter asking if she planted a tree in the other tree's wake, but then she does have a garden with a few bushes... That could make up for it...

And oh yes they ignore the supermarkets and big destroyers of trees, in their position with a better brain I would use the money I had for that spray paint to work my way down to the rainforests and protest there, becuase those are the places that make a big difference.