Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trigger_tre

The Suggestion Box: Post your Ideas to Improve ST 5.0

I thought I would start this topic because I notice in several threads where people have spit out ideas that would be an asset to the new 5.0 Simtropolis. This topic is only to compile those great ideas into one easy to read thread.

Rules:

1.) Post only if:

a.) you have a "suggestion" that would be beneficial to the new Simtropolis.

b.) you are commenting (good or bad) on another "suggestion"

2.) Be detail oriented. Post pics of your idea and give a good detailed description.

3.) DO NOT post on sections of the site that are not yet functional. For instance the "Omnibus", "Modds & Downloads", "Live Chat", etc. Simply because your idea might already be in the works in that particular category. However, once that category is functional then your welcome to drop a "suggestion".

4.) This is NOT a ranting thread, no stand alone post with "Rants or Raves"

Please keep in mind that much of the new 5.0 is still under construction. However, it never hurt to throw out your ideas and see if Dirk or the Admins would bite.

Here is an example of how to post in this thread:

With the new changes in 5.0 we have had many headaches over HTML/BBCode usage. In many other forums this style of code is often times provided as a user preference option, so that individual users can choose their style of code they like to use. Below is a picture of my "suggestion"......

simtroppersonset9pz.jpg

Notice the addition of the "Message Display Text" category in the "Personal Settings" section. With this function added individual users could choose what form of text code they want to write in, either......"Standard", "BBCode", or "HTML".

thanks,

-trigger

-------------------------

trigsidx18it.gif

Hmmm... although this isn't controversial, I can see people making this a controversial thread.

Anyways, I can't think of any suggestions besides putting the 'staff label' (like moderator) under the admins', moderators', or webmaster's screenname so that we (and especially new members) know that they are the staff, but I'm sure they will have that up in a few days.

Erm ... can't think of much that can be added except what we have in other threads regarding HTML/BBCode (and above), though a "Back to Top" button in the STEX would be nice (OK, so I'm being picky, but I had to put at least one thing here 3.gif )

I think this thread might get some rather, how shall we say, erm, off-beat suggestions 47.gif

...so that we (and especially new members) know that they are the staffquote>

Are you sure that's not so you don't forget that you are staff Micah 3.gif

btw: good idea cos until you put that I had NO idea you were staff 47.gif

All I'd like to see return is HTML in sigs and posts. I'm managing just fine with the BBCode though. 4.gif

The only thing I have to suggest right now is that in private messages area, when you go to the "Sent" folder, one column says "from" instead of "to". I only bring it up because it totally confused me a couple minutes ago. I was wondering when all these other PMs had been sent to me...turns out I wrote them. Yeah, I'm an idiot.

-qurlix

Oh, I just got a real suggestion in my mind... Well, in the "Off-Topic" section, we have "Game Talk", "Current Event", and stuff like that, but what about "Movie & TV Show Talk".

That would be cool if we could talk about movies and shows, but I'm pretty sure someone is going to tell me that I could simply post a movie thread in the "General Off-Topic" section, right?

HTML would be really, really great, and even if there is a slight preformance drop, I would like to see all the forums on one page.

Originally posted by: MayorTim

HTML would be really, really great, and even if there is a slight preformance drop, I would like to see all the forums on one page.quote>

The way that I have heard, it would be more than just a slight drop.  Hence, it's not coming back.

Originally posted by: MayorTim

HTML would be really, really great, and even if there is a slight preformance drop, I would like to see all the forums on one page.quote>

Well, i think that this was already discussed... The way it is now is the best way it is...

I agree with the BBCode thing that Trigger suggested! And give us back the [:sly:] emoticon! 27.gif

To those asking for HTML, activate the WSYWIG editor in your profile(have to be in IE), and you are then able to post with HTML. Be aware, you lose the quick reply box and the ability to create line breaks with the simple push of the 'return' button on the keyboard, but that's easily fixed with the <*br> code.

Then the HTML struggles will be solved...

Well, I hope my request, though simple, is actually simple to implement.

Can we PLEASE have a picture of the emoticons we're posting?? I'm very much an emoticon person; there hasn't been a single post on ST from me without one. 9.gif

I hope that request becomes reality. 4.gif

Originally posted by: ephorex_77

Well, I hope my request, though simple, is actually simple to implement.

Can we PLEASE have a picture of the emoticons we're posting?? I'm very much an emoticon person; there hasn't been a single post on ST from me without one.

I hope that request becomes reality. quote>

(pssst . .. ephorex!)

When you go to post, click on the word symbols over to the left and scroll down.

I think the ability to hyperlink images in SIGS should be available. Its available when posting, but not in sigs. This might be a security issue, so I am not expecting us to get it anytime soon. But it would make those sigs a little more sleek looking. I have tried and failed to get this to work and have been unsuccessful.

Perhaps its working now, not sure.

-trigger

-------------------------

trigsidx18it.gif

Hi, I just wanted to say that I really liked the "hot forum list" that was on the home page, in Simtropolis's previous version. I find it gave you an immediate glimpse of what people were talking about and I wish there would still be something like it...

Just my modest opinion.

Originally posted by: SkiGeek

Originally posted by: ephorex_77 Well, I hope my request, though simple, is actually simple to implement. Can we PLEASE have a picture of the emoticons we're posting?? I'm very much an emoticon person; there hasn't been a single post on ST from me without one. img] I hope that request becomes reality. [img]quote>
(pssst . .. ephorex!) When you go to post, click on the word symbols over to the left and scroll down.quote>

9.gif

Yaay!! Thanks ski!! =)

Well there are a few things I am missing from the old ST 4.0:

1: Direct link to a post. Now you only can link to a thread and people are forced to use a lot of time looking for things.

2: Pictures within link, both in post and in sig.

3: View the post people have post (under User Profile) you can not see what people has writen. Again just a link to the thread not directly to the post. Again you have to waste time looking for it.

4: Hope the option, view posted today comes back.

5: In the buddies list I miss possibility to make groups.

6: The forum title getting shorten of, so you can not see where you are.

1. That really cool bunny guy, who used to be an administrator...he's gotta come back 2.gif preferrably as some sort of bunny-god type thing. 3.gif

Originally posted by: golfbunny

1. That really cool bunny guy, who used to be an administrator...he's gotta come back preferrably as some sort of bunny-god type thing. quote>

i seem to remember someone like that - here, here 9.gif

Originally posted by: MrCinatit

Originally posted by: golfbunny 1. That really cool bunny guy, who used to be an administrator...he's gotta come back img] preferrably as some sort of bunny-god type thing. [img]quote>
i seem to remember someone like that - here, here 9.gif" border="0quote>

Yes I do to, he said when he made a quick visit a while ago "I have no idea who Compromise is." Hopefully if he comes back he will quickley find out the answer to that question. 9.gif

I miss the "Recent Replies" news ticker thingy and the "Hot Topics" windowed list.
I find the new automatic edited note on a post a bit annoying. Sometimes I merely go back in to fix a typo ... which means nothing's really changed. I liked adding my own EDIT: note when I went back in to actually add something.
And lastly, yes ... yes ... yes ... please fix the path info displayed at the top. The truncation is really ugly renders the line virtually worthless.
Otherwise ... great job on the transition. No wee task for sure. Hope to see things like the Omnibus re-populated soon.
Okay ... stick a fork in me ... I'm done.

Originally posted by: vester_DK

3: View the post people have post (under User Profile) you can not see what people has writen. Again just a link to the thread not directly to the post. Again you have to waste time looking for it. quote>

When you are looking at someone's profile, go to the top and click View Posts.

Well I have read my post again, I think it should have been like this:

3: When viewing the post people have posted (under User Profile) you can not see what people has writen. Again just a link to the thread not directly to the post. Again you have to waste time looking for it.quote>

This is what sometimes happens when english isn't your first language.

Originally posted by: JayStimson

I miss the "Recent Replies" news ticker thingy and the "Hot Topics" windowed list.quote>

Good news, this will be returning with the new ST homepage which should be online soon. 4.gif

I would like to be able to use HTML too...I've always hated BBCode.
Posted Today and Recent Topics was nice too
and the old email style for new replies was much better than the new one.

Can we have the Last comment and updated line back when viewing your own files on the STEX? Was nice to be able to see whan the last comment was posted without having to go through each and every file. I know I've only got 51 files on the STEX, but if I want to check for new comments this not only takes time, but wastes valuable bandwidth.

First of all nice job on the new post windows I think this will allow the younger crowds that frequent the site the ability to use colored fonts, etc.

I do however have a suggestion.

Dirk,

I like the new post window setup especially the Smiley sub-window that opens. I find easier to just click that instead of looking at the "symbols" link to the left. I do however recommend you add a simple mouseover text to each emoticon so that we can see the names for each as we hover of just the right smiley to include in our messages. Again only the mouseover text is needed (I think adding to the side of the images would take away from the aesthetics of the emoticon sub-window).

-trigger

Originally posted by: MrCinatit
Originally posted by: golfbunny

1. That really cool bunny guy, who used to be an administrator...he's gotta come back img] preferrably as some sort of bunny-god type thing. [img]quote>

i seem to remember someone like that - here, here 9.gif" border="0quote>

Hmmm....I remember a similar dude, I think...3.gif

Anyways...I would like something similar to "Posted Today" to return in time.

I reckon ST should have a multi-time zone feature where you can change what time zone your in.

because at the moment i think it is in one of the US time zones and it is annoying for me to keep having work out what time other people submitted their posts (because i live in the UK)