Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

acwhite

How do I download items off the STEX

Sorry, not very computer literate.  I am having trouble finding things I ahve attempted to download from this site.  I have put them in my Maxis Plug-In folder.  I rebooted the game.  But nothing.  Should the items be appearing under the police, or fire, or civic icons in the game?  Do I have to do something else?  Sorry ....

You extract the download using Winzip,WinRAR etc. into your MyDocuments/SimCity4/Plugins folder OR Program Files/Maxis/SimCity4/Plugins folder and they should appear in game. If this doesn't work, the building you are trying to download must be a growable which means you have to zone some Residential, Commercial or Industrial zones and get to the required stage to make it grow OR it could be a reward which means you have to meet some requirements before you can use it in your city. Some downloads have automatic installers in their zip file and if that's the case double click on it to open it and follow the instructions. If the building you downloaded comes with a ReadMe always read it as it contains useful information on how to get the building into the game. Welcome to Simtropolis! 39.gif

If you are using Windows XP the 'Winzip' functions are built in. All you have to do is open the .zip file and drag the contents to the correct folder. It is usually better to read the readme files first, which give instructions.
If it contains an .exe file, just double-click it to start the plug-in's install routine.

Great, thanks!  I have a new XPS from Dell, so winzip will be built in.  I will give it a try when I get home later tonight; I bet that was my problem - I wasn't opening the zip file.  thanks again, and this site is great!  can't wait for the Modds section to open up.