Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoaSkin

Why is Simtropolis using commercial software?

22 posts in this topic Last Reply

GoaSkin    1
  • Original Poster
  • Simtropolis wants to be a non-profit community for Sim City 4. All the many Simtropolis may invest to realize this website comes from donations. The costs for software can really be saved because there are lots of free server applications, operating systems, CMS and other web applications. Simtropolis uses a M$-based server system and commercial ASP-based solutions which cost lots of money while the more popular solutions are opensource, free and used mostly on Linux systems? I don't understand why the admins don't save the money and use the donations for different things.

because we have 100,000 members, and the free versions are designed for less than half of that. The version we have makes things much smoother for the large amount of people we have to please here.
    There are other reasons also, but I am not an admin, and probably never will be, so couldn't tell you if I knew.

Purchasing the new software is an investment in the future of the web site.  Also, Dirk did mention that he's familiar with the language underlying the site, which should make maintenance and customization much easier for him in the long term. 

Originally posted by: Battlecat

Purchasing the new software is an investment in the future of the web site.  Also, Dirk did mention that he's familiar with the language underlying the site, which should make maintenance and customization much easier for him in the long term. quote>

Bingo!

Oh for heavens sake - Its DIRKS site and its FREE - the ever increasing membership, and constant striving to improve the site, is a credit to Dirk and other admins - does it really matter which software is used, just so long as it is BETTER then before ?? QUIT WHINGING !!

you've got to realise that all teh feee versions have bandwith limits, less functions etc. If it wasbased on a free server, there would be no stex, as mentioned in another thread the stex is way over 10gb in size, then theres the bandwidth of downloading it from the server etc. The vast numbers of members and storage of psots etc. wopuld not be tolerated by free forums, simtropolis would die if it was on a free server. Plus all the adds!!!!!!!!!!

You naysayers are very wrong. I don't know what open source free forum software you guys have experience with, but there are amazing FREE options for forum software out there, that can easily handle 100,000's of users, have no bandwidth limits, have more functions and features than this commercial software will ever hope to have... As far as mentioning downloading large files, and huge number of posts, etc, that has little to do with the forum software, and a lot to do with the server that the software is running on. Here is some free forum software with zero limitations, and thousands upon thousands of modifications and feature additions, and various customizations. It is phpBB software available here. BTW, that particular site has almost 240,000 members, and almost 2 million posts. that is more posts than Simtropolis will have in the next 25 years... Did I mention that that forum software is free... 4.gif I wouldn't have posted, but I had to defend free open source forum software as it is by far better and more customizable than commercial software could ever be. mostly because open source software has a development team of tens of thousands of people, compared to most commercial software that can only afford a development team of maybe 10-20 people, or maybe only a couple people... 4.gif

Originally posted by: IronDogg

BTW, that particular site has almost 240,000 members, and almost 2 million posts. that is more posts than Simtropolis will have in the next 25 years...quote>

keep on dreaming

why does everbody have to complain if they get something for free??

i mean, what's the problem with the forum software being a "commercial" software?

with that attitude, you could also complain about all the admins here on the FREE ST (and of course dirk) running their pcs with windows or linux because they are both commercial software.

and you could complain about all the people running ie and posting on the FREE ST because it's a commercial program...

and, why do we use internet at all? its commercial...

man... start thinking!

and if you worry about your money beeing "abused", don't donate!

Originally posted by: Constantina

I think what Simtropolis means by the term 'non-commercial' is that there are no third-party advertisments on the site.quote>

and they don't wanna have money like membership fees or monthly costs

EDIT: to pay the site or even earn money with it

GoaSkin    1
  • Original Poster
  • I cannot follow these arguements. I speak about free software and not free software of anything where commercial  version and free version with limits exist.

I speak about software which has been done by a community of people investing their time to write software and not companies.

Commercial software for creating websites has no clear advantage to free software - and exists mostly for Windows-based webservers only. Is Windows used special on web portals with masses of visitors? Not really. Regarding huge web portals, a mainframe system is used on the backend side with completely different CPUs that don't run Windows, ASP and IIS. An UNIX-derivate is used, the Apache webserver (really free and more ighty than the IIS) and on the top of the backends, there may be used a few commercial products but also free components.
    For server-related stuff, you only need to purchase licenses if you really want to make very special things or if you need service (then you may use an commercial application server instead of tomcat or something similar). But there are lots of commercial server applications. If you know all the stuff coming with a linux distribution for free, you laugh about the people paying money for commercial products with less functions and less stability. Too many people think what's cheap is not powerful.

To list a few popular free products using on lots of commercial and non-commercial websites:

databases:
    - mySQL
    - postgreSQL

webserver:
    - Apache

J2EE application server:
    - Tomcat

E-Mail:
    - Postfix
    - QMail

Internet News (NNTP):
    - INN

Construction Kit for a CMS:
    - ZOPE

To find what you need, just search at http://www.sourceforge.net or http://www.freshmeat.net !

MsD    0

Originally posted by: Constantina

I think what Simtropolis means by the term 'non-commercial' is that there are no third-party advertisments on the site.quote>

Good Point44.gif

Originally posted by: MsD
    Originally posted by: Constantina I think what Simtropolis means by the term 'non-commercial' is that there are no third-party advertisments on the site.quote>
    Good Point%7Boption%7Dquote>
    Simtropolis is 'non-commercial' because it doesn't MAKE MONEY. Simtropolis is relying on user donations to keep this site and forum going, not membership fees that some sites have. Having ads doesn't make you 'commercial'. There are many hobby sites that use ads for maintenance. ST doesn't have ads, so it comes down to us to help this site stay alive. While free software is nice, you have to remember that dirk is in charge, he only knows so much, and thus has chosen to stick with something he is familiar with. Remember, there is a learning curve to everything.

whoever mentioned phpBB should be well, I wont say it, but phpBB is easy to hack, and most stuff that is free that can handle this much load is very easily for hackers to get into, while the commercial stuff is very tough and not even worth the time unless there after some personal vegenance against the site......

A lot of people seem to be getting confused between free software (as in cookies) and free software (as in freedom). Free software is often more secure with hundreds of people scrutinising the source code. Free software can handle huge loads, more severs run Apache than anything else, and that's free. I would agree that it would be great if we could use free software, but since dirk is more confortable in proprietary languages, I guess it's just his preferance.

Well it is possible to use free forums with InvisionFree been a big one but there are severe limiataions to usingm it. You coudent have the forum databse connected to the STEX or chat and they would have to be hosted elsewhere and there are are space limits althougth a lot don't give a forum post limit as they use ads on your hosted site to make money and the more hits you get the more money they get.

Overall it is more profeshinal and probabley better for the site to have the freedom to host what they want even if it costs a lot of money. If your wondering why dirk switched from idealbb to FuseTalk then the most likley answer is it took up to much bandwidth and was to easy to hack into.

Originally posted by: IronDogg

... there are amazing FREE options for forum software out there, that can easily handle 100,000's of users, have no bandwidth limits, have more functions and features than this commercial software will ever hope to have... quote>

Except for that fact that almost no free forums can run on a coldfusion database (which dirk has much experience with and the rest of SimTrop is built on).

do you not get it?

it was dirks choice to do what HE thinks is the best for the ST. And to him THIS forumsoftware was the best choice.

people donated to improve the ST and this is what he did.

wouldn't it be some sort of a very very f*cked up LIE (sorry for language, but i gotta have to say it that hard) to tell the people that their donnations are for their own benefit and then take all the money and get a free software (which would possibly not serve the immense needs of such a community like the ST or does not cooperates with other sources of the ST) instead?

and, nevertheless, it's still dirks project to run the site and offer US a FREE community as a giant source for sc4 plugins AND a quite huge forum as well.

AND (please don't consider that as an offense) to everybody who don't like the way this FREE possibilities are given to them by a "commercial" product: why you don't leave?

why you complain about what dirk decided to do with all the money that was given to improve the ST?

i have to agree with dev's sig:

STOP complaining about winning a free white iPod instead a free black one...it's free!

stop complaining about an awesome free offer of sc4 content AND forum that's run by a commercial product, it's still a free offer.

i really don't want to offend anybody here, I just don't get the point why some people here can't accept dirks decission to buy a software to run the ST instead of using a free software and taking all the donnated money to go on a holiday trip...

If dirk thinks something will make this website better, then let him make the change. I thought that the whole reason that people donate to this website is to help the admins make it better. Remember, this website is free for you to use (unless you want to donate) and we have a great community. It doesn't matter what software we use, the real thing that matters is that we keep this great community running strong.

Dirk bought the software which he felt would be best for running this site. If he had wanted free software, he would have bought it.

Any questions?

This thread is just a little to warm for my tastes, so we are officially closed.