Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pickled_pig

What a wounderful world it would be if......

If George Bush was successfully impeached. 

But that's romantic idealist dreaming.  By nominating John Roberts to chief justice, he's practically secured himself until 2009.

The world would be a far better place if people listened to at least half-decent music instead of the Kelly Clarkson/Nelly/Ciara that is monopolizing music today.

..people could just learn to live togther and not bully and/or discriminate each other. Sadley we have a long way to go until it happens.

The world would be a better place if everyone treated each other with respect and if there was no discrimination/bullying/racism in the world.

What do you think would make this world a better place??quote>

Well.. let's see....

I think that the world would be better if all those crazy billionare's from all over the world gave a lot of their money the the poor hungry people from africa and not only...

I agree. And it would be nice to see "Dubya" booted out of office. It would be even nicer if it were done with a real boot. 9.gif But yeah, that's pretty much just a fantasy. 15.gif

We need to stop discriminating, like VT said. Hating people just because they are who they are. And if you do not like someone, at least have an actual reason backed with facts!

It would also be nice if one of those d@#$%d snobby aristocratic types took their heads out of the clouds and realised what's going on in this world! And HELP! Those people can't seem to see any farther than the ends of their d@#$%d noses.

There's also the matter of pollution... We must reduce greenhouse gases! However, that would take a while, both to develop power sources and to persuade people to use them... But we can do it! 9.gif And most of the people here at ST seem more intellectual than most people, so maybe some of us will be working on stuff like that! And the other points I mentioned... Me, I dunno what I'll be doing... :/

But anyway, let's get to work, shall we?

More ideas! Someone pin this thread! 9.gif

If everyone has a fair and equal chance to persue happiness as long as it does not harm others.

If we could lose this "Us and Them" mentality.

If the gap between rich and poor was smaller.

No more need for wars, famines, disease, etc.

Can't we all just get along?

What a coincidence... I was listening to this song for the first time in years, and it pretty much sums up what I have to say:

musicnote.gif

"Imagine there's no heaven,
It's easy if you try,
No hell below us,
Above us only sky,
Imagine all the people
living for today...

musicnote.gif

Imagine there's no countries,
It isnt hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

musicnote.gif

Imagine no possesions,
I wonder if you can,
No need for greed or hunger,
A brotherhood of man,
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

musicnote.gif

You may say Im a dreamer,
but Im not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one."

musicnote.gif

Imagine, by John Lennon 48.gif

In the end, many out there may have voted for the whole idea of equality for all around the world but the end truth is that will never happen.

War will always being that will be occuring somewhere in the world no matter if you want it to or not, look at Sudan! They've been in civil war for 20 years or so!

At that same point, the rich will continue to be rich and the poor will continue to be poor. In that respect, many of the rich around the globe are contributing to help the needy in the world, but the end result will always be that someone will be starving somewhere in the world at any time. To a certin extent, the rich are always the ones that people face towards to help everyone along, when they should in part help themselves move foward.

Also, Groege Bush will be out of office soon enough and life will just move on! Even if he was taken out of office, the world wouldn't just improve because of that, please think a little higher than that. 21.gif

In all reality, the world will always have problems as long as democratic nations are in existance, religions fill the globe, and blah blah blah. Democratic nations will always have their bad sides, religions will always have their radicals, but they do a tremendous good for the world and will always be a part of it!

Problems will always exist, and it's for the better that they exist, but we can help make them better!

If things just worked. Like my graphics card.

And if people would quit this "impeach President Bush" crap. We lost, lets move on. As clindhartsen said, he'll be out of office soon enough.

edit: And if people will realize that clock speed does not equal a better CPU! That would make the world a great, AMD using place!

The world would be a better place if: People held GENIUNE concern for the well-being of ALL people. People didn't care about choices such as but not limited to food, music, lifestyle, clothing, or whatever (I am a strong believer in this one). The real problems that exist were really addressed. there was eternal peace. Life were simple.

If ppl just realized that their own "world" isn't the only thing and also better understanding of eachother. in that way the song "Imagine" says it all. simple but the truth.

To be honest my answer would be religious in nature. Regardless, it is fascinating to note that there is a diversity, and sometimes complete polar sets of opposites of what people think would make the world better. Life is temporary, continually changing, and full of cycles of growth and decay. I personally don't think there really is a key thing here on Earth that would make things better, at least permanently.

Originally posted by: pickled_pig If George Bush was successfully impeached. quote>
LOL...you are ridiculously blinded by hate and liberalism. If George Bush was impeached...then Dick Cheney would be president. You're really misinformed if you think that would be a good thing. The world would be a better place if people would realize what Jesus Christ did from them on the cross and if they repented and turned to Him. But that will never, ever happen, nor will world peace of any type. BTW..."Imagine" is overrated...21.gif

One word: tolerance...

It would be a better world if people would mutually tolerate the freedom of every single human being. Maybe this sounds superficial, but it would be it I think.

- Phil

Originally posted by: PhilsCafe

One word: tolerance...quote>

Best one so far.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had no more of

• I am better than you
  • My god is the only true one and you are a heathen/infidel
  • I want what you've got
  • Lies are cheap, truth is dangerous
  • Hide the facts from the citizens

Originally posted by: PhilsCafe

One word: tolerance...

It would be a better world if people would mutually tolerate the freedom of every single human being. Maybe this sounds superficial, but it would be it I think.

- Philquote>

Tolerance "of the freedom of every single human being" strikes me as quite reasonable; albeit it conflicts with many cultures' values.

But to be honest I'd have to give a lot qualifications to the concept of tolerance in the generic. If every person and nation, culture, etc. were to tolerate everything then mankind would probably be (and maybe already is) in great trouble. That's because there would be no limits and individual's and peoples's right would readily be trampled. As such it's definitely alright for people and various institutions to set up rules, mores, guidelines, judgements, and consequences about what is right and wrong. But by definition that means that there are going to be differences and sometimes conflict.

Because of who we are as a race, I really do believe that the best way to better the world is for people to strive to better themselves as individuals.

@joesocwork: Yes, as long as no one has the right, as a nation, to impose his values on someone else, as a nation. This is the way wars have been caused.

Originally posted by: defcon pilot

We need to stop discriminating, like VT said. Hating people just because they are who they are. And if you do not like someone, at least have an actual reason backed with facts! quote>

Wow, I'm amazed that someone actually listened to me.  People don't usually give me that honor.

Personally, I don't think that making everyone materially equal will work.  People have tried it before, but the world calls that state of events "Utopia" for a reason.  (If I remember correctly, "Utopia" is Latin for "no where").  There will always be people in the world that are either extremely gifted, or get lucky and have it fall on them.  The only way to keep such people from passing the rest up would be to put them in chains, but if we did that, we wouldn't be treatly them equally.  So, regardless of what is attempted, I doubt that it will ever be attained.

@vid: I don't. I hate Doritos. Packaged crap with a fancy name. Read the ingredient label sometime!

@JoeSocWork: I must say, you are quite right. Best to do that. However, a lot of people are ignorant and would be unwilling to do that. So sad... Perhaps, though, with enough striving, we can eliminate ignorance! That would definitely help our world a lot.

@Voar Tok: You're welcome. Most people don't give me that honor either.

Civil rights? Hrm... I have a lot to say... But I don't know how to say it right now.

@PhilsCafe: Notable. And true. I'm with you all the way on that one.

@dev: I dunno, if we can get Bush out, maybe we can get his cabinent out too.

I do realise what has been documented as having been done to Christ. A horrible thing: Nailing his limbs to a stake and killing him. Ouch. Gotta hurt. But don't tell us we should convert. Might offend a person or too. I'm not intending to cause you any offense myself, just wanted to mention.

@Boggy1: "Friendly Aliens"... Well, that probably won't do us much good in the near future, no offense. I'm sure a job at SETI pays a lot, but hey, what good does it do us? Unless some race willingly comes to us offering their services, worrying about "friendly aliens" is a waste of time. Sorry, but it's only true.

Pin this thread!

This may sound somewhat (or perhaps even very) caustic, but it would be nice if people would realize that the military-industrial complex isn't the evil beast that it is made out to be.  There is a need to have a standing, well-supplied military and we don't really have the right to tell those who have willingly risked their lives that they should have to fight with one hand tied behind their backs because we don't want to provide what is necessary for them to do their work.  In short, a world without war would be nice, but it's not going to happen.  Therefore, it would be nice to see the mass public adopt a more mature attitude regarding war.

EDIT:  Voar Tok:  Utopia is Greek for "never quite there."

Originally posted by: Joesocwork

Tolerance "of the freedom of every single human being" strikes me as quite reasonable; albeit it conflicts with many cultures' values.

But to be honest I'd have to give a lot qualifications to the concept of tolerance in the generic. If every person and nation, culture, etc. were to tolerate everything then mankind would probably be (and maybe already is) in great trouble. That's because there would be no limits and individual's and peoples's right would readily be trampled. As such it's definitely alright for people and various institutions to set up rules, mores, guidelines, judgements, and consequences about what is right and wrong. But by definition that means that there are going to be differences and sometimes conflict.

Because of who we are as a race, I really do believe that the best way to better the world is for people to strive to better themselves as individuals.quote>

Absolutely. One couldn't tolerate intolerance of course. I'm well aware that this concept is rather utopian though.

I'm glad there are so many people agreeing with me on that one. If everyone would do so, we'd really have a better world 2.gif.

On another note: I personally think that conflicts are inevitable (even in a 'perfect world'). People always have differing opinions on certain subjects. If we let the other person(s) know how we think or feel about it and respect his/her/their thoughts as well, we can prevent an escalation (war or violence). We have to learn how to listen, but also how to speak because I can't figure out what someone else's thinking. Well, I could guess but then I'm probably wrong... 4.gif.

And hym: You're right, sometimes a war is the only instrument to end an injustice in 'this world'. But we also have to be careful with this. First of all, it should not only be carried by one state or a small group of people. In addition, the operation has to be monitored by a global authority (like the U.N. or local affilates) to prevent new injustice. $0.02 from an army reserve officer.

- Phil

Quote by HYM
"Therefore, it would be nice to see the mass public adopt a more mature attitude regarding war."

Could you please tell us obviously uneducated people exactly what a "mature" attitude is toward war, and give your qualifications and or experience (if any) on said subject ?

A "mature" attitude? Probably he means that if we took it more seriously... I mean, take Iraq. Every day, people die, and yet, most of the time, we're ignorant of that because we don't tend to take it very seriously.

But I dunno.