Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

callagrafx

Photoshop versus MS Paint

42 posts in this topic Last Reply

A recent discussion branched off into a discussion of the merits of Photoshop vs MS Paint.  It seems like a good opportunity to test our new capability of moving individual posts.   Let's see how it goes . . .

callagrafx    1
  • Original Poster
  • Duke, I'm sorry, I have to ask and I don't mean to be rude but...are you saying MSPaint is superior to Photoshop? Why don't you just uninstall the Photo Organizer? It's not integrated into Photoshop (at least my version isn't) and anyway, what does Photo Organizer have to do with saving high quality JPG or GIF files, which are still the standard for use across the Internet?

The point is that the Dirk and the other geniuses that have made this site such a success and a vital resource for all SimCity Fans should not be dictated (dirktated) as what to put in and what to leave out, as we are all but guests in his virtual house.

I actually really like MSPaint. I have Photoshop also, but I find Paint much easier when pasting bits from one bit of a picture to another etc.

Photoshop is great for effects and advanced stuff, but Paint is pretty darn good too.

MS Paint is superior to photoshop in the sense that it's easier to understand, as well as much easier and much more efficient to work with.

Now, I know it may seem odd, but I prefer it for its simplicity. Photoshop is fanncy, complicated, and more time consuming to work with. Paint opens up fast and works fast. Photoshop can take a bit of time to load before you can start doing stuff, and working with some of the tools can be a bit more annoying. Point in case: When you select something with the eyedropper tool in paint, it automatically then goes back to whatever drawing tool you were on beforehand so you can now draw with that color. Saves you a couple clicks. In photoshop, the magic wand tool stays on the magic wand tool even after you've selected something, and it gets quite bothersome having to go over and actually click on the fill bucket tool after selecting something, when it really should do so automatically. It seems trivial, and if you're only doing it once, it is. But it really starts to add up if you do it a lot, both in wasted time and in annoyance.

Originally posted by: Duke87

MS Paint is superior to photoshop in the sense that it's easier to understand, as well as much easier and much more efficient to work with.

Now, I know it may seem odd, but I prefer it for its simplicity. Photoshop is fanncy, complicated, and more time consuming to work with. Paint opens up fast and works fast. Photoshop can take a bit of time to load before you can start doing stuff, and working with some of the tools can be a bit more annoying. Point in case: When you select something with the eyedropper tool in paint, it automatically then goes back to whatever drawing tool you were on beforehand so you can now draw with that color. Saves you a couple clicks. In photoshop, the magic wand tool stays on the magic wand tool even after you've selected something, and it gets quite bothersome having to go over and actually click on the fill bucket tool after selecting something, when it really should do so automatically. It seems trivial, and if you're only doing it once, it is. But it really starts to add up if you do it a lot, both in wasted time and in annoyance.quote>

Mm... not really. 2.gif Of course, this is just IMO, but the reason it doesn't automatically go back to fill tool and whatnot is because there are so many more options you can choose from. You could want to use the gradient tool, feather the selection first, cut it, apply a filter, etc.

I have Photoshop CS and i really like it. but if im doing something really quick, like copy/pasting, i use ms paint since it is faster and more stable on my computer.

Paint is good for basic little tasks, cutting/pasting, etc. Photoshop is for more advanced graphics work, involving multiple layers and stuff. I find it difficult to compare the two.

You haven't moved the posts. They're all still in the other thread. You've just copied them....

EDIT: nevermind, they're not there anymore now...
    They just all happened to get moved in the couple of minutes betwwen when I accessed that thread and this one.

well, for me such discussion PS vs MS P. is really silly... everyone nows what is better....

EDIT:

It's almost like AMD Athlon 4000 vs INTEL CELERON 0,5 GHz

ha ha!

I can't remember the last time I even looked at MSPaint ... probably back in the days of Win 3.1 which goes to prove I'm getting old!

At the end of the day it really comes down to personal preference, and what a person requires from a program. I only moved to Photoshop on the advice of my son, who is a graphic artist, after many moons of using Paint Shop Pro, and now I wouldn't use anything else. However, having said that, there are times when I miss some of the features I could find in PSP, but the more I use PS the less frequent those times become as each and every time I use PS I learn something new about it, and some of it is pretty amazing! And yes, some of it is pretty quirky too.

Whilst we're at it we could get onto the subject of HTML editors ... Notepad or Homesite? Only kidding ... please let's not even go there! lol

Err...I guess I could say "It's all up to personal preference!!!"

However, there really is no competition. It's like comparing a plane to a bullock cart drawn by mice; perhaps it's easier to find mice around to hitch to the cart as opposed to fueling and prepping the plane.

But once the plane gets going, there really is no contest. 9.gif

Ms paint is more user friendly and for the "casual" user is probably the best. I ahve photoshop 7 and it has way more tools than mspaint. I use if for alsorts from adding colour and improving photo renders of my buildings I design in real life to touching up raw photo files (something mspaint struggles with sometimes) The only problem with photoshop is it is difficult to use, but once you have understood it and get used to the interface and tools, in my opinion its the best out of the 2.

Hello, All.

Understanding that what I'm about to post is not even part of the topic, I nonetheless believe it needs to be said.

Personally, I prefer PaintShopPro to any of the graphics editors discussed in this thread. I've used PSP since version 3.x and believe it to be THE BEST all around grpahics editor on the market. It is inexpensive, easy to use and understand and gives excellent results. It supports all .8bf filter types as well.

I also believe that PSP demise started when Corel purchased JASC. The version I am using is PaintShopPro, version 9.01. I wouldn't even waste my time on Corel's version X.

Just my thoughts.

Regards,

Vandy

That's a simple answer... Photoshop is way better. There are soooo many things you can do with PS compared to MS paint.

Adobe Photoshop is INDUSTRY STANDARD! Does Paint have layers? No. Animation capabilitys? No. Web site producing stuff? No. Duke, take a graphic arts class. Paint is shat.

callagrafx    1
  • Original Poster
  • The best image editor is the one that works best for you....but Photoshop CS2 with it's new filters, camera blur fix and match color facility is light years ahead of any other (I'm actually quite surprised that Corel haven't thrown in the towel with PSP).

If we really wanted to, we could turn this into a "Photoshop on my Mac is way better than on your PC" debate, just for the hell of it, but remember that while we are bashing each other over the head with magic wands, we're cot concentrating on building cities.

Nothing campares to Photoshop. It took me a while to learn, but now that I have there's nothing I can't do with it. MSPaint the Yugo of graphics programs, and Photoshop is the Lamborghini.

how can MS paint and Adobe Photoshop be comapred??

Its like comparing a bike with a Car, they do the the same things, but just cant compare one to the other.

I've got PS CS...and I really see no comparison...Paint can do some extremely simple things...and a little bit of advanced stuff...but poorly...Photoshop is simple...and can do basically anything...If I'm gonna crop an image or something, I'll use paint...but for image beautification, or creation even...photoshop wins...by light years. Let me say one word: LAYERS....something that is so totally awesome. Duke...I think you would like Photoshop if you took time to play with it...

I prefer to have features that I never use, than not having them at all.  On top of that, MS paint can't don anti-aliasing (or at least I don't think that it can) and I really love that ability.

Are you serious. MS Paint is a load of rubbish. It can barely do anything, it's just a basic bitmap editor. There are loads of free and easy to use programs that outstrip it easily. BTW duke, in PS you really do need to learn keyboard shortcuts. This discussion is like comparing Notepad to Dreamweaver.

I never argue about the virtues or otherwise of any editor or word processor. I just use what I need.

I have several graphic editors loaded on my machine and use the one that pleases me at the time.

I have

1. MS-Paint (default with the O/S)
    2. Photoshop CS2
    3. The Gimp
    4. Illustrator
    5. Image Ready
    6. Photoshop Elements
    7. Painshop Pro 9(JASC) & 10(Corel)
    8. MS-Digital Image Suite 10 & 2006 versions
    9. GIMP 2
    10. Ulead GIF Animator 5

I realize that these all have overlapping funtionality. I use whatever fits the task with the least brainwork on my part. For example, I am workinig on a grey-scale map of Wasaga Beach, using a road map as a template. This is done by loading the map into CS2 and placing the map on a layer above it. CS2 can export layers separately, which is why I am using it for this task.

My avatar is out of the Ulead package, as is my signature. The animation for the sig was captured in frames by the recoding feature of SC4.