Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

paiste13

Suburbs

Has anyone came up with a way to make decent looking suburbs? I really am disappointed that SC4 has no way to make suburban looking apartments or cul-de-sacs. I really hope they fix this problem for SC5. More than half of all Americans live in the 'burbs, yet there is no way to build them in the game!

There is, sort of, and I have created a set of realistic upscale suburban residences (check the link to my Cj for details), but, they still need to be modded. Also, the network addon modd allows one to make cul-de sacs(sort of).

Here is a pic of the stuff I'm/have been working on:

dtsaf01110600240si.jpg

Maybe try making the desired buildings for your suburbs 'historical', so the strucuture will not fall prey to a possible 'burg', even if it abandons. You can still destroy a 'historical' strucutre with a civic structure, a disaster or a transit network foute or lot.

i am talking about the cookie cutter houses with garages in the front. i'm surprised they didnt have those or suburban looking houses. i am not computer literate, so if any of you have built these, let me know how to DL them (in non-computer terms)! thanks so much!

paiste13 once the entire site is up and running you will be able to browes the STEX and you should find a plethora of suburban single family homes with which you can create an almost limitless variety of neighborhoods.  also you need to get you hands on NAM(Network Addon Mod), which will be available once all the site remodeling is done

hope that helps, welcome to ST, and enjoy my 100th post!!!!

Keep an eye out for 6459978's house set. You can see the work in progress at

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=37&threadid=58309&STARTPAGE=22&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear 

Unfortunately, I believe 6459978 is snarled with real life and isn't doing a whole lot of BATing right now. Too bad as the houses he has there look pretty "burby" to me.

Originally posted by: Gman55

I know what paiste13 means. Coming from California, I'm used to seeing streets filled with cookie-cutter 3 bed 2 baths homes and 3 feet apart. In these subdivisions, the roads are gently loop around; there aren't rigid blocks.

The problem is that SC4 doesn't allow us to make those kind of road angles.

quote>

do you have the NAM, if not download it when its available, although it doesnt allow full circular roads, it does allow diagonal streets. used with a little creativity, they can make a very realistic suburb.

Something you might want to try is...

-->lay an avenue

--> leave a tile either side

-->Draw a street on the tile after the one(s) you left blank. It must run alongside the avenue

--> Zone low density residential

--> You can add side streets and also plant some trees in the tile between the Avenue and the street.

This adds slightly more realism to your suburbs and possibly adds a little tang of UK developments!

Here are some suburb examples...

gh1.jpg

ghg.jpg

Hope this helps!