Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Meg

Carriage return / enter not working

Some -- not all -- of you are having problems with the enter key not resulting in the text going to the next line.  Since this is some people, not everyone, I have to ask:  what do your computers have in common?

If would be helpful if everyone with this problem could provide some info on their system.  Windows or Mac?  Which version of which browser?   What keyboard are you using?  Anything else that might be causing it?

There is a common element here.  We just don't know what it is yet.

Well, I have a Windows XP Pro, I use Opera (the lates one) and IE ... I don't have any priblems with the site... well.. maybe only sometimes on IE the site hangs up, and I have to click [ctrl]+[alt}+[del] and end the ieexplore.exe process... No.. I think I'll stay with opera.. it's the best browser for ST for me....

of you are having problems with the enter key not resulting in the text going to the next timequote>

hmm.. that's really weird...
  Edit:   yes, it would be  3.gif

Windows XP Home, SP2, Firefox 1.5.0.1, Microsoft keyboard, AMD64 3200+, 1Gb RAM, 160Gb SATA, nVidia GF6200 running 19 and 17 inch monitors, several old CD as coffee cup mats, overflowing ashtray ..... could be down to the parser when it checks to strip out HTML ... just a thought, it's a major problem I've had in the past with PHP parsers.

We have had issues with the parser.  But why some people and not others on this particular issue?   There has to be a pattern of some sort.  I'm hoping we can gather enough info to see the pattern.  Thank you for your input.

Well, I'm not having any problems with the Enter key not working like it should.  However, if we extrapolate from both ends, we might be able to figure this out faster.  So...

System Specs
Win XP with SP2
IE 6 (I've seen problems with IE 7 - like the reply, quote, and features like that not even displaying)
I have a standard QWERTY keyboard with multimedia button along the top, but otherwise nothing fancy.

Just had a look at the source behind the post message and it could be something as simple as the message delivery method ... can the system you are using accept the 'get' rathet than the 'post' method? Just a thought and it might make no difference whatsoever.

Now for a test, if this line is separated by a blank from the above paragraph it's because this has been posted using IE6 rather than Firefox, and that would then seem to suggest it's an IE/Mozilla compatability issue.

Edit: Well that worked, so it would seem to point to the IE/Moz problems ... I'll put on my thinking hat and see what I can come up with 9.gif

Testing from Mozilla on KDE 3.4.1: Line 1 Line 2 Line 3 End test.

Konqueror produced the same test results (same platform).
Just a guess - Whatever converts our typed text to HTML is probably expecting a Windows-style CR/LF pair from the client as the signal to insert a paragraph break. Some Macs and virtually all UNIX machines will send just a CR. If there's a way to strip or ignore linefeeds and just use the CR as the signal for a paragraph break, that might fix it...
Edited again: It wouldn't surprise me if the Firefox developers had it send UNIX-style returns even from the Windows version. Technically, that would be the correct behavior. I have a Windows 98 box running an old Netscape, I wonder what would happen there?
Another test.

It would seem like the problem might have been pin-pointed to FireFox based on your test mayormot.

This

is

just a test to see if enter is working for me now.

EDIT: Okay, it works on this computer, but this isn't mine, its my friend's.  On my home computer it doesn't work.  I have windows xp, I use firefox.  This computer is IE, so I'm not sure if its a firefox thing, or a computer thing.

When I get back home (next week) I will be able to give you more info.

I'm using Windows XP on both my machines. The problem seems to occur with Firefox only. IE formats the posts just fine...

Yes it is possible its FF. I have Windows Media Center 2005 AMD 64, SP2, Firefox 1.5, and if you check any of my latest posts they are ALL jumbled into one giant paragraph instead of seperate paragraph. I am about to press "enter" 5xs to see if it still doesnt work......(comencing test now) (test done). Wonder if it works? -trigger

Oh well didnt work lets try HTML

Cool HTML I guess is the solution for Firefox users at the moment.

See it works I can have seperate spaces now

10.gif

so much easier to read things now

I kinda like writing in HTML code so this isnt so bad

lets test some more HTML code

Is this sentence BIGGER?

Is this sentence small?

This color is GREEN and this one is BLUE

Is this sentence centered?

OK, thats enough for now

-trigger

Enter/returns work fine for me in IE (maybe too well, since I get double spacing if I try to go back to edit something). But no returns in either Firefox or Netscape 8.1.

Just another test.
Line 1
Line 2
Line 3
End test

Is this a new paragraph?

OK, board is accepting P and BR codes. We can format our own messages for now. That's actually really nice - no guessing what it's going to look like!

EDIT: Just heard problem may be fixed. Testing again: Line 1 Line 2 Line 3 End test.
Testing again with Mozilla now: Line 1 Line 2 Line 3 End Test

It would appear that the FF issue has been resolved.

IF it has then this is in a new paragraph ... if not then I'm just going to have to dust down IE for a while .... now I know it's out in the shed in a soggy box somewhere ..... 46.gif

Edit: IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 9.gif29.gif

Onlyplace - FF is working? Are you on Windows or a UNIX?

I'm posting this from Mozilla 1.7.5 right now. Still no CRs. I'm intensely curious as to whether any of the Mac users are having problems with Safari.

I checked the PHP docs and found this little tidbit:

when working with output to a windows system i.e. a textfile the end of line "\n" will not return a valid newline that windows will understand (this is due to a lack of standards accross OS types). This is because windows reads new lines as carriage return "\r" and an additional char the linefeed the traditional "\n" so in short use the following to produce a new line under a windows text environment "\r\n":

function win_nl2br($stringtext) {
// Note: I can't get angle braces to display here, so I'm using the "{}" characters to represent them.
return str_replace("\r\n", "{br}", $stringtext);
}

That is meant for people running UNIX servers, who need to convert Windiows-style returns. I'm guessing that the php code on ST's server does something similar to create the BR tags. Working it backward to cover all the bases:

function returns2br($stringtext) {
// First convert any Windows-style newlines to HTML breaks
$stringtext = str_replace("\r\n", "{br}", $stringtext);
// Now any lone "\n"s must be C/UNIX newlines
$stringtext = str_replace("\n", "{br}", $stringtext);
// Catch any remaining "\r"s - a really old Mac maybe?
$stringtext = str_replace("\r", "{br}", $stringtext);
}

Personally, I haven't had any luck having it work before I came into this thread and saw the note about using the HTML code. Anyway, just wanting to make a point

Line 1 Line 2 Line 3

With "p" tags

Line 1

Line 2

Line 3

On my computer, I am using Firefox 1.5 in Windows XP SP 2 w/ IE 7 Installed. In addition, I am running Norton AntiVirus w/ their online firewall enabled.

Still having problems.[end paragraph 1] Running Firefox 1.5.1 with Windows XP SP2. It still does it even if I press enter once, twice, whatever. [end paragraph 2]

Tried line breaks in HTML...it works well, though, I have to insert two BRs if I want a blank line in between...

The only line break issue I've been having is an issue which has happened on the old board here, as well as on other forums, and even in Wordpad. Specificaly: hitting the enter key skips two lines instead of one, without leaving a typable line in between. The solution is aways the same, though, and is simple. Backspace the erroneous line breaking, and now hold shift while you hit the enter key. Works every time!

I've not been able to put line breaks in my posts. I am using Windows XP Pro (Without SP2) and browsing with Firefox 1.5.0.1. I really have no idea why it isn't breaking for me...

Also...what is it with multiple editors? I was told you could change to a different post editor...is this true? I cannot find it.

Originally posted by: Voar Tok Check your profile to find the other editor.quote>
No such option...I'm assuming it is only Spyware Explorer compatible...

Yeah dev, its only with Internet Explorer. I wouldn't edit old posts with images using Firefox *I shudder to say that*

I was just wondering, if it isn't working is there some kind of code we can enter to make enter enyway?

line 1

line 2

EDIT: Okay, while I've found that the line spaces still don't work for me normally, I can type in <*br*> (without the *'s) and I will get a gap. This is a issue only apparent for firefox users, and so I hope dirk can find a fix for it soon. Choco.

Is this problem fixed ? Anyways my machine is running winXP firefox1.7.3 has 1Gig RAM R9600 AMD2700 logitech KB using windrivers. Just hope this works Test 1 Test 2 Test 3 the reason i use firefox i hatsmicrosoft bessides IE is a bugridden steamer.

The WSYWIG editor doesn't let you do the breaks.

Interesting. You also don't get a preview topic button. To do the breaks in the WSYWIG editor, just type <*br> without the * where you want a new paragraph/line. Test 1 Test 2

Otherwise it won't work.

Line 1: I'm running a Mac OS X.3.9 using Safari as my browser. Line 2: I think it runs on a UNIX kernel, so mayormot's UNIX thoughts seem logical.

EDIT 1: Yep, I think the < b r > without spaces tip should be mentioned lots (thanks beebs!), for dummies like me that don't join a lot of things and have no idea about all this new-fangled html codewords y'all have. 9.gif

Those of you who can't post breaks, try typing <*br> without the * where you want a new line. I think it might be something with the wsywig editor.

Weird. the html editor acts as a wysiwyg editor, and the wysiwyg editor acts as an html editor.

Now that I have html abilities, I have to use <.div> or <.br>

I thought it was supposed to be like that... what's WSYWIG stand for anyways?