Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mantis747

How do you get hit-tech industry!?

16 posts in this topic

how do you get hi tech industry? i have got it a couple of times but then it just deveops into dirty industry. and with dirty industry my environmental advisor keeps complaining. if anyone has any tips on how to get hit tech industry please reply face-icon-small-smile.gif

Usually the city needs a well educated population. A nice wealthy population wouldn't hurt either. face-icon-small-smile.gif

When you have already developed some Dirt-I, that may prevent you from growing cleaner industries in the future, because your old ones are polluting your industrial zones and the HT-I won't use them (no chip manufacturer wants to build close to an incinerator). So maybe at some time in the history of your city you should just demolish a whole industrial area to make it suitable for your new demand for clean industrial space.

When you have already developed some Dirt-I, that may prevent you from growing cleaner industries in the future, because your old ones are polluting your industrial zones and the HT-I won't use them (no chip manufacturer wants to build close to an incinerator). So maybe at some time in the history of your city you should just demolish a whole industrial area to make it suitable for your new demand for clean industrial space.quote>
you sould destroy all your dirty industry but if this will ruin your budget or is too musch trouble check the desriabillty map for hi-tech industury bild a new patch of industry raisemanufaturing and dirty industry taxes to the maximum then put hi-tech to 0 watch it build once the industry has been established put hi-tech industry taxs up so you get money this works well for me

I've noticed that hi-tech develops when I zone industry close to residential, but the residential has to be there first. Maybe the res zones somehow restrict dirty industry from developing too close.

"Education, Education, Education" To quote the words of my Prime Minister Tony Blair. That is the key to getting High Tech. If you have a high Education Quotant, and the industry is zoned near residences, High tech will develop. If not, tinker with your tax rates. That should do it.

WOOHOO 100th post

i guess if your city has a high education qoutient then you can

pause the game

destroy alot of the dirty industry

use god mode to plant forest/trees ctrl+shift+alt+click on god mode(not cheating if you think of it as a non-profit conservation group coming in and doing it :] arbor day?

strategically place some parks to increase desirability and/or demand

raise dirty industry taxes (watch rci here)

unpause game and watch pollution dissipate

ya could do this until you reach the desired high tech industry size

ya should see high-tech automagically appear. well, at least that's what has worked for me.

also monitor pollution and desirability factors such as crime, fire hazard n stuff

hope this helps

-education helps with hi tech.  Libraries and elementary schools especially for starters, then the university later on is needed.

-put your dirty industry tax rate to 20%

-in ordinaces, there is one called clean something or other, which puts in laws limiting the polluting that industries can do.  If you have that in there then with everything else hi tech should grow.  

-Having hi tech sections near residential helps too cause for industry they have different desires on where to locate than other industries.

-solar power over coal power helps to cut down the pollution to encourage more hi tech in I find (in terms of desireability of zoning)...

What if I want dirty industry in one area and clean, high-tech industry in another? How do I segregate the two without getting dirty industry to leave and all the low income sims without jobs and also vanishing.

I thought about lowering taxes to zero for high tech until the sector is completely developed very quickly with high tech while opening areas in dirty industry areas so that dirty industry moves into the right area instead of trying to corrupt my clean areas.

Another question related to industry in general about freight. Where do freight trucks need to go and how can rail help to get it there? Does it need a connection to commercial zones or to other industrial zones? Do you need to have freight stations and if so, where do you need them? at industrial zones? at commercial zones? Can rail lines become congested with freight trains or in combination with passenger trains?

Thank you.

also life expectancy is important for H-I cos your high tech industries want to have employees that life long

freight trucks/trains mostly go to your neighbour cities and other industrial zones in your city

Originally posted by: landen99 What if I want dirty industry in one area and clean, high-tech industry in another? How do I segregate the two without getting dirty industry to leave and all the low income sims without jobs and also vanishing.

I thought about lowering taxes to zero for high tech until the sector is completely developed very quickly with high tech while opening areas in dirty industry areas so that dirty industry moves into the right area instead of trying to corrupt my clean areas.

Another question related to industry in general about freight. Where do freight trucks need to go and how can rail help to get it there? Does it need a connection to commercial zones or to other industrial zones? Do you need to have freight stations and if so, where do you need them? at industrial zones? at commercial zones? Can rail lines become congested with freight trains or in combination with passenger trains?

Thank you.quote>

The best way to segregate is to build entirely seperate zone areas for them. IHT likes the same things that your R§§§ like, that is, highly desirable areas of land with good educational and health coverage. Fire and police is also a must. The biggest requirement of all is water. ID and IM can build without water just fine but IHT requires it. Zone yourself a small area of industrial close to housing (about a 5x5 zone) and then pay close attention to it. Make any IHT historical and bulldoze anything else if it starts to build. You have to be vigilant because if you look away for even a minute you can come back to other things than IHT.

As for freight, they send it on the shortest path out of the city. Industrial thrives on the edge of a city tile because the freight trips are very short. Freight will travel on truck unless you provide a faster route on rail. Freight stations go next to industrial zones; the trucks will take their goods to the station and then the goods will exit the city on a train. For most industrial zones rail is inefficient because it's so much faster to simply truck things away. Freight will only seek a neighbor connection, paths to commercial will be unused. And yes rails can become congested just like roads can.

I set up my high tech areas almost the exact same way I set up my commercial zones. I pop in lots of parks and greenery and they seems to like that. Low pollution and high education is a must, as already stated. If you have ever seen the area around Google's HQ, just copy that. 4.gif

Follow the instructions on the post, "Making Money the Easy Way," by STomnibus (Dweller), 06/21/2006 01:50 am, including all three parts. Maintain high land value and as your city (with no industry -> neighbor connections) is ready for it, then increase education and other city services as REQUIRED. Allow a little space between buildings, even .. no, especially .. in high density zones for parks, grass, etc. to increase land value. Don't be afraid of medium and high density, just give them the right road network (another subject, but a good one at that). Have a good plan for MT to move large populations across the city and across city boundaries.