Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MikeO

New Newton - First CJ in a long time

Hello everyone.

I started this town a few days ago when I reinstalled SimCity 4 + RH. No cheats. Just blood, sweat, toil and tears. Do note that I'm in a tricky situation on the financial side of things, and whilst my town may not be up to the standards of the other CJs here (6.gif), I do hope to one day be able to create cities on par with those.

First up, a tour of New Newton.

The oldest part of the town, established after road links from the south, east and west all began to invade this land.

newnewtonagric.jpg

Good infrastructure and supplies, note the Wind turbine for Green Peace's sake.

Now we move into the next part of town, which developed as the T junction was built in the centre of the map.

newnewtoncentralcommerce.jpg

Has been the centre of commerce in the district for the entirety of the town's history. Recently, increased value properties have sprung up as a result of the population boom, in which the town grew from a mere 7,000 to a dangerous 30,000.

Now we move to the north of the map, the industry sector of the town.

newnewtonindustry2.jpg

Due to some tricky taxing, Dirty industry has never really developed here whilst Manufacturing and High Tech have took off.

Recently, an airport was built to help growth in the commercial sector as well as to try and get more people into the town. The university and town mall as also located here.

newnewtonairportcommerce.jpg

Now that the town has been covered in visual form, it's time for me to ask for your advice in sorting out the situations that plague the Mayor's office.

So here's the budget and tax income for the town.

newnewtonbudget.jpg

newnewtontaxes.jpg

As you can see, the populations call for increased education and health expenditure, along with the natural needs of power and water has resulted in a huge loss of funds. Now, I don't know how to get out of this to be brutally honest. So I call on the good people of Simtropolis for help. This is a problem that occurs in every town and city I've tried to build in this game and no matter what I do, I can't get around it. It's the reason I've ended up uninstalling the game in the past and not playing it for another 6 months.

So, what's the order? Increase taxes further? Make the good citizens go without the highest level of education and health that they're used to? Bare in mind the presence of 4 loans, which will need to be paid off before any real work can be done.

Help me, good fellows. 8.gif 

Have you tried cutting funding on your schools and hospitals down to the minimum necessary (in other words getting rid of the exess)? Also,look at your utilities production and check and see if you need to be spending all that money. The city looks good, by the way.

Yep, my hospitals and education structures are at the bare minimums for the amounts of people that use them. I don't really want to cut back on utlities spending, as there at their limits already.

Would it be worth getting rid of the City College and Highschool. I also have quite a few ordnances (All except the nuclear one). Should I stop all frivelous ones? Will that affect the development?

First of all, your city looks great.  A little to grid like for me but this is your CJ not mine. 
    Second, I have played this game now for years and I have had cities make money from start to their end.  Some cities with huge amounts of profits that I couldn't spend the money fast enough.  I would not change the tax rates at all until you start making money.  Begin lowering the taxes as your city begins to make money.
    Also I noticed that you have your rich sims paying less in taxes than your poor sims.  I also made this mistake in my earlier years of playing.  Your rich sims are rich, make them pay.  If you keep the taxes like this, the sims will move in too slowly.  Also I remember reading somewhere that there is a demand percentage on the relation between rich and poor sims in a city.  10% high, 25% medium and the rest low.  Don't qoute me on these numbers, but it is something like that.  I keep my rich sims paying 9% and my poor paying 8%.  Lower the taxes as a bonus to your sims, not to try to lure them into your city from the begining, it doesnt always work. 
    I also see that you have boosted your dirty industrial to 18%.  Your poor sims work there.  No jobs for them means no demand for them either.  You can build a balanced city with all levels and not have too much polution, if that is your goal. 
    Also only add public, health and education as needed unless you are building a city exactly how you see it should be.  In which case you will loose some money sometimes and that is where the balancing act comes into play.  Lower all the budget on these buildings to as low as you can.  No need for a college or an university until you have 75000 sims or more (my personal opinion of coarse).

I hope this isn't too much info and I hope it helps and make some sense.

Keep up the great work and don't give up.
44.gif

Well, that's the nicest vanilla city I've seen in quite a while. 16.gif The cemetary in the middle of the industrial area is a little odd - they work better in residential areas. But great work on a tight budget.

I don't usually bother with any of the ordinances myself, except the clean air act and power and water conservation. Looks like you're spending quite a bit on transportation but not getting any fares out of it. What kind of system are you using and does it go where the sims need it to go? Also, I'd go ahead a raise the taxes on high-tech - I find that industry will put up with a lot in terms of taxes and high tech is a cash cow. Good luck. 40.gif

Hey, thanks for the replies. I'll take your advice into account when I load up SimCity 4 next. So I need to keep the poor tax low, the rich tax high. Got it.

Anyway, I've improved the situation a fair bit. Population is now 67,000ish. I had to replace 2 aging power stations and water pumps. I've also replaced the two elementary schools with that super elementary school and added another hospital. I'm just having trouble keeping out of debt now, although the margin between Income and Expenditures keeps blurring between them.

Here's an overview and the budget.

<ahttp://mikeo123.250free.com/Simcity4/Newnewton/budget2.jpg align=baseline>

<ahttp://mikeo123.250free.com/Simcity4/Newnewton/newnewtonnew.jpg align=baseline>

My next plan is to redevelopment the farming land in the bottom corner into more commercial, more industrial and more residential properties and when I have enough $, build a subway system if that's a good idea.

Nice city, you might just have to wait it out about, get some of those rewards like the prison to gain some money. It may take many years, but you'll get on the up side of things. Also there are always cheat codes...if worst comes to worst. 2.gif

I deleted all of my cities because I want to make a fresh start. I just can't do this game. Does anyone know of a good tutorial for beginners with pictures?

Cheating a city is very easy, but playing one out like yours is more complicated, but also more rewarding. Wish you luck with it!

Btw, I changed the TJ in the mainsubject lines to CJ, hope I did well.If not let me know (PM me)

MikeO, maybe you will find something to your interest here:

Many things on this site, and to find it , simply use the search box above.

mrbisonm2.gif