Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aurabolt12

No one is using my rails!

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Aurabolt12    0
  • Original Poster
  • No one is using my railroads!26.gif
    I have freight stations in my industrial zones, touching a road. There is a rail touching/surrounding the station, which goes to another station to the other side of the map and also into the neighboring city, where there's a station near some commercial development.

Can someone give me a quick rails tutorial? Maybe one on subways too? They're probably similar.. thanks.

Frieght trips do not travel to commercial zones. Their only valid destinations are 1) seaports, or 2) the edge of the map (regardless of what lies on the other side). Keep this in mind when laying your transit as it applies to industry. (Frieght generally won't take a rail route if a shorter road route exists.)

Rail is very effecient! I think you must make the arrow point at the road, and I think the rail need to be at the back. You should also build it in a place with, in your case, lots of traffic and density. If that doesn't work, well, maybe someone else will tell you!44.gif

Not sure if you use the NAM, but I do and nobody uses my freight rail anymore.  Perhaps this is your problem.

Somehow, my NAM settings (x10 commute, x10 speed) cause my industrial developments to use only the Seaport, even though freight rail access is closer than the seaport and is connected to city edges.  Weird.

I can't explain it, but that's what happens... don't know if that helps you, but maybe.33.gif

(Whoo-hoo 100th post!)

Most likely the industry do not use the rail because they find a good (better) way to deliver their goods via road. Use the route query tool and see which way the freight trips from the industry next to the station goes. Then try to create a faster rail track or maybe demolish some roads to make road traffic less efficent and thereby force the traffic onto the rails.

Good luck!

The posters before already told you the main points about freight traffic on roads - keep the industry close to railways and lay the tracks and roads in awaz\y that the railway is the fastest (or only possible) way to the edge of the map.

But I wonder why you did not connect Railwaz to Residential areas? Keep the track fast with as little curves as possible (like IRL!) and place some (not too much!) bigger RR stations (capacity => 6000) on strategical points. Take care that those sims who are not close to the station may come there by placing a bus network and/or a parkig garage resp. parking lot (look on the STEX for Arcedelia's great lots!).

Your sims will now use the RR and it'll bring you quite some bucks for your budget!

Bernhard 44.gif

If the sims go to work by rail, you need to place a bus station between the main station at the commercial zone and place bus stops nearest to the sims workplace. I think the sims can only walk ten tiles without modds before they get tired.

I dont fully understand the art of a Rail City. Rail Roads are a pain in teh ars. so u c, I either have no usage, or I have 20,000ppl trying to commute via rail. Now in the Expansion they did Elevated rail, which is worthless in capacity, and they did Monorail, which has the same capacity so its worthless. FERRIES FTW.