Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

piecinitup

Music Wont play

Do you have a sound card? Prolly..

Make sure play custom tracks (or whatever) is selected, and that the music is in the right folder. you might ahve the music turned off, or even the speakers turned off. 3.gif

Hey, it happens.

Hi piecinitup.

Alright, take a look into your

...\Maxis\SimCity 4\Radio\Stations\Mayor folder.

There should be a subfolder (Music) and a single zero-byte file (kmay.id). If this file is missing the music in mayor mode won't play. Same with the

...\Maxis\SimCity 4\Radio\Stations\Region folder

Again there must be a subfolder (Music) and another zero-byte file (krgn.id). If this one is missing the music in region view/god mode won't play.

The problem is that both files have a size of zero. So almost every cleaning tool will remove them. I've had the same problem when I cleaned up my harddrives. Afterwards no more music was played. So I completely restored the files and guess what... music played again.

What you can do is to whitelist both files in order that your cleaning program will not delete them.

I hope I could help a bit.

KayeM

Music not playing can be for two reasons:
(I'm assuming all other sounds in the game and on your computer can be heard)
1: Make sure the music check box is selected in the audio options window in the SC4 game view.
2: Make sure the music files in your C:/Program Files/Maxis/SimCity 4/Radio/Stations/Mayor folder are actually there. The folder should not be empty. If it is, reinstall the game and it should fix it.

If that still doesn't work, then sorry, I can't help you further.

Kayem: Welcome to our community.

Thanks you very much for this. Do you think it would stop a cleanup routine from doing this if the file were marked as a system file?

I am doing this, and hope it works.

To set the system bit you have to use the attrib command in a command window.

EDIT: Tested this. Did not work for me. All I get is sound effects which I already had.

Anyone wanna copy there kmay.id file for me and post it on here, if thats legal?  I remember doing a clean up and deleting this file.  Really would like to avoid installing the whole game again.

personelly guy...I find the in game music player more trouble than it's worth

I just shut the game sounds off completely and play winamp in the background...no need to transfer files I  can play my own custom play list when ever i want....and no broken links from moving media files around...much much easier

Date: 2/23/2006 2:26:51 AM
Author: piecinitup
Anyone wanna copy there kmay.id file for me and post it on here, if thats legal? I remember doing a clean up and deleting this file. Really would like to avoid installing the whole game again.
quote>

Rather than fool with file transmissions, just create a new text file and rename it as needed.