Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MayorVieira

Rolling Stones rock for free in Brazil...

17 posts in this topic

...and I was there! The estimated crowd was between 1.5 and 2 million people... the biggest show in the history of the band. Take a look at the slideshow in the link below:

Concert pictures

Lucky!

I saw about that and wow that would have been awesome.

Let's see...being in Rio, seeing the Stones for free with 1.5 million of your closest friends...does it get any better?

It's great that you were there, MV.  44.gif

I was in a crowd of a million people once -- downtown DC during the bicentenial -- and swore I'd never do it again.  But, still, it's a cool thing to have done.

Thanks for the link to some great pictures.  I wouldn't have wanted to be standing in the rear of that crowd.  You wouldn't have been able to see or hear a thing.  Come to think of it, I don't think I would want to be in the middle of that crowd either.  10.gif  

Date: 2/20/2006 8:23:15 PM Author: SamFlash Thanks for the link to some great pictures.  I wouldn't have wanted to be standing in the rear of that crowd.  You wouldn't have been able to see or hear a thing.  Come to think of it, I don't think I would want to be in the middle of that crowd either.  10.gif 
quote>

or the front. you wouldnt get out for days after the show.

that looks simply awesom, MayorV - the Stones are one of my favorite bands, only after the Fab Four.
i had read about it before, as well, and i am sure Mick, Ron, Keith, Charlie, et al were psyched. looks like a great show, and it amazes me those guys are still rocking so hard after so many decades.
thanks for sharing that with us. great you got to see that.

Micah - I heard the show was televised live in many countries. Just not sure about the US.

Skigeek - I stood very close to the stage (50 meters away at most... the crowd went as far as 1.3 km, which is almost a mile) so you can imagine how cramped I was. Many times I asked myself what was I doing there, but being able to actually see the band (most people only saw the show from the big screen) made it all worth it.

Easy Bakes - I reached my apartment at the end of the beach in about an hour... a normal walk wouldn't take less than 30 minutes, so it wasn't too bad.  The apartment is located 'behind' the stage (for the lack of a better word) so it wasn't too crowded in that direction.

dev - I also love that picture with the boats... those people sure were more comfortable than me.

MrCinatit - I told myself that I couldn't possibly miss this show because the only thing better to see than the Stones didn't exist anymore... and I see you agree with me.

One more thing: I just heard this show is going to be on the Guinness Book of Records... not as the biggest in the history of the Rolling Stones; but as the biggest in history, period. It feels good to know I witnessed it.

hate to say...I really like the Stones...but they just suck in concert now....too many bands blew them right off the stage in Toronto at SARSfest.

think mick and keith need to retire from big venue concerts, they are just too old....ps, is keith richards even alive anymore 42.gif 

Date: 2/21/2006 7:11:01 PM Author: MayorVieira
I reached my apartment at the end of the beach in about an hour... a normal walk wouldn't take less than 30 minutes, so it wasn't too bad.  The apartment is located 'behind' the stage (for the lack of a better word) so it wasn't too crowded in that direction.

quote>

Very impressive.  After the fireworks at bicentenial in DC, it took us hours to get out of the city.  The subway wasn't very extensive back then (1976) so people parked at various places on the fringes and took buses in. 

Fine plan but, after the fireworks were finished everyone wanted a bus back and moving a million people by bus takes a while.  We debated walking but after considering the time of day and the neighborhoods we would have to walk through, decided against it. 

After several hours, my friends and I practically hijacked a bus.  Formed a human chain across the road. The bus driver chose to stop.  He claimed he was planning to stop anyway at the end of the next block.  Like that would have helped.

Date: 2/21/2006 7:11:01 PM Author: MayorVieira

Easy Bakes - I reached my apartment at the end of the beach in about an hour... a normal walk wouldn't take less than 30 minutes, so it wasn't too bad.  The apartment is located 'behind' the stage (for the lack of a better word) so it wasn't too crowded in that direction.

quote>

I did notice in the pictures it look pretty empty behind the stage.

WOW though you live ON that beach?

That would be very cool.

Skigeek - the subway system in Rio is very efficient, and all the stations in Copacabana Beach are very spacious... but even so I assume most people had a much harder time than me getting out.

Easy Bakes - unfortunately, I don't live in Rio, but we do own a small apartment in Copacabana. We share it with cousins, uncles and aunts and take turns on which family is going to use it next... I was lucky enough to be on my turn and I went with my brother. In the long term it's much cheaper than paying for a hotel in Copacabana Beach.