Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chomusclavus

What are the perimeter and area measurements of individual tiles and...

...city maps? How many feet long is from one end of a tile to another? How many miles long is from one end of a small, medium, and large map to another?

Also, what is the area of a tile and those three sizes of maps?

A region I've been working on has 12 large maps from one end to the other, so its total area is 144 large maps in all. How many miles is that from one end of this region to the other, and how many square miles is it? What real-world State, Province, or Country would the region's size compare it to?

Hello? I'd like to know please. How many miles long is a region from one end to the other, when the length consists of 12 Large City Maps (same for the width)?

By the way, if I wanted to make a region that was 100,000 miles (yes, one-hundred-thousand miles) from one end to the other (same distance long and wide), how many large cities long would that be, how long would it take to generate such a big region on a computer made today, and what computer would I need to generate such a map in less than one hour?

well each little square in any map is 16x16 meters, so you can figure out how big each map is

as far as how long it would take you to render a map thatx 100 000 x 100 000 miles,.....have a good life cause thats how long it would take you to render it

Have a look in the map forum.

Was a bit fast. Had a look in the Omnibus.
This is taken from the ' Maps: Config.bmp: How To Make It Yours ':
Each pixel represents one square kilometer in the region, and the color of the pixel is determined by the size of the city covering that square. Red (RGB=255,0,0) is for small (1km) cities, green (RGB=0,255,0) for medium (2km), and blue (RGB=0,0,255) for large (4km) cities.
quote>
(A english mile is 1.609 km. => 1 km = 0.6215 mile)

A lot of stuff has moved from the top of forums to the Omnibus while I have been member here.

just FYI 100,000 miles is about 4 times around the earth at the equator, so i dont think SC4 is equipped to handle a city/region 4 times the size of our planet!!!!

actually it is 1024 metres, 2048 metres and 4096 metres (s m l)

As you need a region map with size identical to the number of tiles this would be about 1 000 000 x 1 000 000 pixels so if you have this as a greyscale bitmap it would need about 1 Terabyte of storage capacity.
As a fully built city needs up to 10 MB I would say there is need for roughly 1.6 Terabyte of storage for the cities.

Eric nailed it. Tiles are 16m x 16m. A small city is 64 tiles wide. 64x16=1024m, or 1.024km. A large city is 256 tiles wide. 256x16=4096m, or 4.096km. 4096/1609=2.545 miles. 100,000/2.545=39,292.73 large cities to reach 100,000 miles.17.gif