Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zoso_69

Simcity Scale???

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Zoso_69    0
  • Original Poster
  • I don't know if this well known or a stupid question, but is it possible for someone to estimate or calculate the scale of one tile in Simcity (If there isn't already one).

It seems to me it would be easier to create a replica of a current city if you knew how big one tile actually is in reality. If anyone could help me with this it would be good to know

Ex. One Tile = ____

Ps I have never attempted this...30.gif30.gif30.gif

A tile is supposed to be 16x16 meters long.

However, buildings are often out of scale: small buildings and detailed props are usually scaled up so as to emphasize the details. large buildings and bulky items are scaled down, people are scaled up too.

Indeed. Also, numbers (for transit and such) are scaled down, since all of the traffic(non cargo/freight related) in SC4 is commuter traffic, as well as the fact that they never really set up the game for multi city commuting. The normal limit for freeways, for example, was about 10,000, while in real life, a typical major freeway can have over 300,000 cars per day. of course, these numbers and such can be modified, with mods (such as the NAM).

Numbers for residents/commercial jobs tend to be inflated, as well. I don't think a ritzy 40 story residential tower in real life can hold 6000 people....

Zoso_69    0
  • Original Poster
  • 44.gif Thx for the tips...I think I'll start using some of the Mods (I looked at it as cheating, but it makes sense when you put it like that)

Cogeo: Do you know if alot of people use the 16x16 M format when accurately replicating a city (I'm trying to do amall one first). Like would you use 16x16M and convert it to a scale on a real map to do your road syatems or would that be a bit complicated and you would just try it freehand, looking at the map???42.gif

47.gif47.gifDont know if anyone understood that, but i can reword it if I need to...

@zoso: the scale of the map is something of your own choice. For example, there are many maps that are completely out of scale, see the Europe or the Northern Mediterranean maps. Of course, you can make your map scale accurate, but don't hope to make an accurate replication of a real city. It isn't only the scale problem of the buildings (mentioned above), the real problem is that you can't lay road networks in any arbitrary direction (as is the case in real world), your networks can only be NS, WE or diagonal; you can only expect some (very) rough approximations. Many members have tried to replicate real cities, but they couldn't. Also take into account that lots are only orthogonal, and can't be placed facing diagonal roads and streets realistically. 

Zoso_69    0
  • Original Poster
  • I can see exactly what your saying, but Profecy seems to be doin good with his Toronto replica...I'm sure he'll hit a wall sooner or later though, seeing as the city has some very unique road patterns in some areas.

Ps The most annoying part of the game is the fact that you cant freehand your streets, especially avenues and highways. The way you can't make an ending intersection diagonally with an avenue and street almost made me throw out the game lol.

Thx for your thoughts...

Date: 2/18/2006 4:04:45 PM Author: Zoso_69

Ps The most annoying part of the game is the fact that you cant freehand your streets, especially avenues and highways. The way you can't make an ending intersection diagonally with an avenue and street almost made me throw out the game lol.

Thx for your thoughts...

quote>

Actually, I can't remember with complete certainty, but I believe the Network Addon Mod (NAM) fixes the diagonal street-avenue intersection deficiency, as well as other previously illegal road-laying moves. Link:  http://www.simtropolis.com/modding/index.cfm?mode=details&show=380 . Anywho, good luck with your replica city!!

Heh, well, I think the real inaccuracy starts with the 2-story houses that house 11 people.

The scale for most of the buildings is pretty good, and the roads/highways also have a decent scale (although limited to 16 meters on a side, its difficult to approximate real roads and streets.)

I think a lot of the inaccuracy in the scaling visually is actually somewhat related to general inaccuracies in the game, such as the costs for things. Also, note-- for instance, that other than the airport, most things build instantly. Additionally, you get no 'funding help' from the state, or so on and so forth... even if you assume that a simoleon is a unit of money representing the cost of a piece of road at any given value of real money like dollars (thus we're trying to say, simoleons are a non-inflationary unit of monetary value...) there would be fluctuation between the costs of building different things.

So, there's also the issue of the size of land you are limited to building a single incorporated city, the fact that for some reason nobody lives there yet... and so on... we would see more realistic building scales if we had a system where zoning and roads and so forth could be both radial and orthogonal, and 'city' sizes were larger, and the 'size' of land for various structures could be set with more control. So you could give an elementary school more land, so it would be more sprawl-ey.

Then, you might also be able to widen roads lane by lane, and you might also find that people are willing to walk more than 128 meters to a bus stop, and that houses really could house 2-7 people at max, and your businesses really all could have parking, and so on and so on... if there is a simcity 5, I hope they address more of the scale and economic issues that this game does not.

well, fact is, that if they would made it more realistic, the game would probably get less fun. Imagine a city half filled with parking lots.. no, thanks. Or an airport that takes up an entire city tile. No, thanks either :-P
    I like the way things are scaled right now. Okay, they might make the airports a bit larger. Because 200metres for a runway is simply impossible.