Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

powl

city connection via seaway

20 posts in this topic Last Reply

powl    2
  • Original Poster

• Hi Guys,
    simple question: How do i fully connect 2 adjacent cities who only meet on water? Do i have to fill up land to build bridges or is it enough to build shipyards, ferrys, etc.?

thanks paul

ferry service is the best way to do it without ruining the integrity of your geography. Other than that you can build a tiny little island that connects the two citiess between them, and bridge it that way, though caution, it probably wont look good

powl    2
  • Original Poster

• yah, filling up an island does look ******, that's why i asked.
    So just ferries should do it, right? Even for industrial goods and everything...?
    So thanks a lot.
    paul

Language - MM

You will still need seaports to export your industrial goods. Remember, however, that trips from industry merely need to make it to the edge of the map, they aren't traded between cities. So, you will only need a seaport on an island if you have industry there.

Ferries are great, but how the heck do I get the damn things to work? I've put them on the lowest elevation possible, with straight coastline, roads, power, and even water. I've given them another one on the other side of the river, but still I don't get a damn thing. They just don't work. What the heck am I doing wrong? If it helps, I have the deluxe version... Thx.

~ Ian

You won't have ferrie traffic or see ferryboats as long as they are not used by your sims. Making a ferry connection e.g between two residentials zone won't result in congested ferries at all.

Ferry routes are traffic ways like roads or rails: if they do not bring your sims to their workplace they are not used. If you use ferries as a connection among your cities you have to go into each city, let it run for a while to get the simulation adjusted, then exitsave it and go to the next. After some time you should have traffic.

What you also should check is the height of your bridge. If they are not high enough ferries can pass under them.

Bernhard 44.gif

Originally posted by: isc9114

Ferries are great, but how the heck do I get the damn things to work? I've put them on the lowest elevation possible, with straight coastline, roads, power, and even water. I've given them another one on the other side of the river, but still I don't get a damn thing. They just don't work. What the heck am I doing wrong? If it helps, I have the deluxe version... Thx.

~ Ian
    quote>

If you have subways connecting the cities your sims may be using only the subway system.

And if you don't, subways provide demand cap relief and they run underwater just fine.

I tried connecting one side of a river to another with ferrys but the commuters prefered working outside the city, downstream. You can tell by the empty commercial zone on the east side. That ferry terminal has zero traffic. If I had the time in the morning I would take it rather than the bridge just for some air. The ferry automata disappears after the first bend where the marrasat plaza starts, so I don't know if they show underbridges yet. Oh and it helped that I demoed the avenue connection to the city on the westside. That's the point of the game I guess, controlling traffic patterns etc..

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/9711/ferry8oe.jpg

On the note of sea connections, when you say "fully" do mean other than simple subway connections? Like also using roads, rails, highways etc.. all at the same time?

I've got ferries which are highly overused, many times more than 10.000 people use the same ferry. isc9114, did you connect the ferries directly with roads? Just laying a road in front of a ferry station is not enough. You've got to drag the road into the ferry station, so the roads are connected with the roads inside the ferry station. Only then, the people can use the ferries. HTH

with the NDEX rail-subway connection you could build a really long tunnel, but will freight be able to convert into subway traffic and back again?

Building two airports is pointless, I think. Build one and watch its query and you will get what I mean. Building two would just have a higher monthly and split the cap relief (I think.)

I built this tiny island city and I was expecting that I could use the seaport to export garbage to an adjacent city with a seaport and powered by waste to power units, however for some reason the neigbor deals never offered me this option...I was pretty annoyed of course...I dunno how much of a connection seaports give to your neigbors but if its not good enough to export trash (and thats seems pretty stupid to me) I guess its not much of one at all.

well i guess so, sure i did that in sc3k, i dont know why they changed it, doesnt it seem kinda common-sense?? what, they want me to ship them trash via subway??? lol