• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

March goal: We're almost there!   03/20/2017

Hi Community! We're almost there for our March goals!  I just wanted to keep the momentum going so if you are able to help, please donate and get some gifts in exchange! Thanks so much to those who have helped out this month, we really appreciate it.
JohnnyBGoode

Introduce Yourself Here!

4,105 posts in this topic

@jeffryfisher Hey, it's been a while since I've seen you. Let @Tarkus know about your problem; he's an admin there and can help you sort the problem out; glad you want to get back in. :)

I'm a local moderator there, but only recently, and have input power but no decision power (or actionable power). I'm surprised you were banned at mention; most of the time significant discussion is had before banning someone that doesn't look like a spam bot, as lately we've had a number of discussions both here at ST and at SC4D about the nature of CC copyright and how to treat orphaned files and support for the exchanges. Plus there is at least one other person there that has a tendency to refer to modding as "hacking" I think mostly because of a translation issue.

But if we could have you over there as well, I think that'd be great. More interaction is a good thing, and For me sometimes ST isn't the easiest site to use.

Hello, I had an account on here before and decide I should get back on here! By far this is the one the best sites I've been on and especially the best content for simcity 4 and look forward to a having good time here!

2 people like this

Hello guys. My name is Caleb and I just started to experiment and play with city building games. My current favorite city building game is Cities: Skylines which I have much custom content from the Workshop. I am 21 years old and my interests include EDM (or electronic dance music), anime and gaming. Thank you for reading!

3 people like this

Welcome Caleb!

Did I just read ANIME? :rofl: Oh boy, you are going to find a lot of people who share the same interest here (that includes me as well). I hope you enjoy your stroll in the site. If you have any questions feel free to ask me or any of the staff around.

Welcome to the community! 

2 people like this

32 minutes ago, jmsepe said:

Welcome Caleb!

Did I just read ANIME? :rofl: Oh boy, you are going to find a lot of people who share the same interest here (that includes me as well). I hope you enjoy your stroll in the site. If you have any questions feel free to ask me or any of the staff around.

Welcome to the community! 

Thank you and yes i love anime! :)

Welcome to Simtropolis!

@Starry01 and @Ichigo951

Glad you could rejoin/join us!  Particularly if you're into anything SimCity or C:S, this sure is a great community.

:thumb:

Hello everyone!  I may have introduced myself, but that was several years ago and I've taken a break since then.  I'm a retired New Yorker transplanted in Minnesota and the long, cold winters seem like a great time to get back to playing my SimCity4 Deluxe.  I first played SimCity on a PS2 back in the 80s and got hooked.  Then, life got in the way and I didn't pick up my mayoral reins again until I got SC4 Deluxe, which I adore!  Then I discovered this site and SC4 Devotion and the wonderful, creative and helpful people who give their time and expertise to the community.  The NAM and beautiful mods take the game to a whole other level of game-play.  So I want to thank all of you who give their time and talents to all of us.  Its great to be back with you all!

2 people like this

Hi DJDL, welcome back!

A PS2 in the 1980s... Wow, was that a time machine edition or something? :lol:

Seriously, it's quite remarkable to see SimCity 4 still going strong after all these years. In the era of 3D graphics and modern hardware, it just proves that with an open canvas, a game like this has endless possibilities. Indeed, the sole reason is the custom content, which has been the foundation of the community. There's so much diverse content out there, which each uniquely adds to the game's artistic palette. There's even still a steady flow of new gems which popup on the exchanges here and at SC4D.

Let us know if we can be of any help throughout your mayoral endeavours. :)

2 people like this

On 12/26/2016 at 4:17 PM, Cyclone Boom said:

Hi DJDL, welcome back!

A PS2 in the 1980s... Wow, was that a time machine edition or something? :lol:

Seriously, it's quite remarkable to see SimCity 4 still going strong after all these years. In the era of 3D graphics and modern hardware, it just proves that with an open canvas, a game like this has endless possibilities. Indeed, the sole reason is the custom content, which has been the foundation of the community. There's so much diverse content out there, which each uniquely adds to the game's artistic palette. There's even still a steady flow of new gems which popup on the exchanges here and at SC4D.

Let us know if we can be of any help throughout your mayoral endeavours. :)

Hi Cyclone Boom!  Thank you for the welcome.

Time machine . . .Hahaha!   Oh, I wish!  I would never have aged a day!  :lol: 

Oh, the content creators are the reason this game is still thriving!  I remember when I first heard whisperings of custom content for SC4 and followed the leads here and to SC4D back in 2004 (?).  My mind was blown!  One of the first things I downloaded was the NAM and Pegasus' beautiful parks!  It's good to see that these two and other "classics" survived.  Now, I'm playing catch-up and looking at all of the fantastic creations and. . . .  decisions, decisions!

Ahhhh!  Its good to be back!;)

1 person likes this

Hello everyone, I'm 16 years old and very much into citybuilding games. I mostly play Cities:skylines, but when I'm on holiday and only have my laptop, I also play SC4 (not that I ever get further there than trying to get as much skyscrapers as possible).

I also like to draw, but school sucks up a lot of my time (Wait, no sad emoticons? Well, perhaps that's for the better. Always stay positive! :P).

Well that's it for now, I'm sure I'll learn to live without sad emoticons.

5 people like this

Hiya, @Pluispixel.

Welcome to our community. We have active peeps in both Skylines and SC4 so there's something for you no matter which comp you are using. And:

Spoiler

There is a sad emoticon. Just do : ( without a space between them to get :(

3 people like this

Welcome aboard, @Pluispixel.  You've come to the right place if you like city builders.  Lots of custom content and a whole lot of helpful people with a whole lot of skills and experience from technical to creative.  Be sure to check out the forums;  I highly recommend city journals to see what people are working on.  They are a great source of ideas and inspirations.  If you see something you like feel free to ask about it and if you have questions just shout out and someone will be along to help :)

4 people like this

Thanks @CorinaMarie and @MeMyself&I! I'll be sure to check out everything, I actually have been looking around here quite some time already, I must admit that I've lurked around a bit before I joined.

And as for the sad emoticon, I'm sure I won't have to use it that much on a site that's this great! :}

2 people like this

@Pluispixel

Welcome to Simtropolis!

Whether you're into C:S or SC4, there's something different compared to other games, since they don't have a fixed end goal. City-builders are artistic games as well as strategic problem solvers. Finding different ways to reach solutions is always satisfying, which leads to our own unique creative styles. Add the huge library of custom assets/content, plus your imagination, and there are limitless possibilities to what's possible.

So yes, you've certainly come to the right place, and hope you enjoy your time here. :thumb:

With emoticons, there are a few others (50 in total), which can be expanded in the menu:

EZWCVsd.png

Just click "Simtropolis" as highlighted to reveal the full family. ;)

It'd be interesting to know if anyone's ever memorised all of the shortcut access codes:

:) ;) :D :thumb: :golly: :8) :P
:lol: :yes: :ohyes: :party: :idea: :read: :???:
:rofl: :kitty: :} :] ^_^ :no: :ooh:
0:) :ducky: :bunny: :wub: :blush: :* :ninja:
:whatevs: :uhm: :meh: o.O :lost: :nyah: :(
>.< :noway: :yawn: :zzz: :sly: :cry: :O
:boggle: :drool: :dead: >:( :hmph: :angry: :rage:
:evil:

(If you paste all that into a post, bingo!)

:party:

4 people like this

Thanks @Cyclone Boom for the warm welcome! And of course for pointing me at the emoticon family. Although I must say... that bunny :bunny:  of yours isn't totally :bunny: normal, is it? :bunny: Oh :bunny: no... :bunny: :bunny: They seem :bunny: to :bunny: h:bunny:ave :bunny::bunny::bunny:tak:bunny:en :bunny: over this :bunny: po:bunny:st...:bunny::bunny:

5 people like this

5 hours ago, Pluispixel said:

... pointing me at the emoticon family.

(Don't tell anyone, but I didn't even know that's how to get to the full list.)

1 person likes this

Hey. I've been a bit of a lurker for well years. At one point I might have had another long forgotten account with a few one off posts made by maybe between 10-13 year old me. SimCity 3000 and 4 were some of the first games I ever played, following what was truly my first Roller Coaster Tycoon; go cereal box CDs :party:

I'm currently half way through grade 12, and have the final exams for Physics 12, and Chemistry 12 this week. Probably should go to bed actually so I'm cutting this short. :lol:

Hiya, @badwithnames14. Welcome to Simtropolis! :)

With all that lurking you've done here I'm sure you already know what a wonderful site this is. If you happen to still have interest in SimCity 3000 there are a couple of threads in the Gamer Topics -> City-Building Games forum. Namely, the Simcity 3000 OFFICIAL THREAD and SimCity 3000 Unlimited thread. For SimCity 4 we hang out in:

Good luck with those final exams. And just to be silly, here's a chemistry poem my dad taught me:

Little Willie was
But now he is no more.
For what he thought was H2O
Was H2SO4.

3 people like this

@CorinaMarie Thanks, I hope I did good myself, Physics was probably fine, but Chemistry involved quite a bit of last minute studying. :lol:

Nice poem. Anyway, I do still enjoy occasionally playing 3000, as well as 4. I do also enjoy Skylines, and Banished, though my computer could use some upgrading to get past lag fest central and meet the minimum requirements of the former for the first time. Another game series that I've liked for years is the Sims, specifically 2. I'm even building an urban neighbourhood in it right now, woo cities. :bunny:

Anyway, to expand my introduction a little, I live in British Columbia, Canada, on Vancouver Island. Um, walking is nice, I'm definitely a nerd who likes school, heck even my exams were kinda fun. Though the exams I got were more of a long test than a massive killing thing, possible helps that Provincials are in the process of getting killed off, leaving me as one of the last grades writing the English 12 provincial. Oh I also get the honour of being part of the last class of people born in the 20th* century to graduate, also saying that makes me feel old even though I'm only 17.... :uhm:   

Huh I talked about school quite a bit.

I'm also sorry to hear about NorryMouse, he was always there, even for a lurker like me. :cry:

*BC splits years by birthyear, the cutoff is the end of December/New years. 1999 births are the class of 2017 :party:

4 people like this

16 hours ago, badwithnames14 said:

... though my computer could use some upgrading to get past lag fest central ...

I can fully relate to that although my game comps (Dell Optiplex GX270) struggle with SC4 if I have too many addons. As for the Skylines itself my comps fell over laughing at me when I told them the hardware requirements. If you do want to discuss CSL in real time you can drop into the Chat Room (hidden under the More menu item depending on your screen width) and find @Abrams124 in there most mornings. I've seen him help peeps with all kinds of stuff related to that game.

Banished

This one I've only heard of. Mostly when @catty-cb mentioned it when she got the Gog version with the MegaMod running in Linux.

Another game series that I've liked for years is the Sims, specifically 2. I'm even building an urban neighbourhood in it right now, woo cities. :bunny:

I've played The Sims 1 and loved it. I learned how to bring Sims from there into SC4 as MySims using My Sim Addon created by @simsbaby. I wrote about my experience here. On my long list of things to do is to learn how to do it myself from one game to the other. I did get The Sims 2 and a bunch of the expansion packs from a second hand store. I haven't yet installed it. I really do want to try the import of a small city tile from SC4 into Sims 2. I've read posts explaining how to do that and the limitations thereof, but again, it's just on my list of things to do someday.

I live in British Columbia, Canada, on Vancouver Island.

That makes you neighbor to @RandyE. He lives in New Westminster BC CA so a short swim across the Salish Sea and you'd be nearly there.

Huh I talked about school quite a bit.

Well, ofc. That's a big part of your life right now. ;)

Oh I also get the honour of being part of the last class of people born in the 20th* century to graduate, also saying that makes me feel old even though I'm only 17.... :uhm:

Oh, my! That makes me ancient. I was born 8 years before the turn of the century. :O

I'm also sorry to hear about NonnyMoose, he was always there, even for a lurker like me. :cry:

Yeah. His passing has left a big hole for everyone here. I was fortunate to chat with him some and (with his permission) I adopted him as my online Granpa.

Anyhow, feel free to jump into the various discussions in the forums. We are a friendly group and peeps here are very helpful.

5 people like this

1 hour ago, CorinaMarie said:

Oh, my! That makes me ancient. I was born 8 years before the turn of the century. :O

Don't turn this into a competition now :P - You young 'un's can't possibly win.

2 people like this

@badwithnames14

Welcome to the community! :thumb:

Ah Roller Coaster Tycoon, the memories...

The great thing about management simulations is they are somewhat educational. Unlike action games, things can be learnt, and they're a perfect exercise in creative problem solving. A few people here have even been inspired to pursue careers in engineering or urban planning, so who knows where it could eventually lead. Of course, do focus on your studies and all the best with them. But down the road, nothing beats doing what you enjoy for a living. A small seed can often be a spark to success. ;)

I'm sure you'll enjoy it here, and feel free to ask if you've any questions (preferably non-science based).

4 people like this

Hi,
As it is customary to first post in the newcomer's forum, here I go :)

I come to simtropolis on the wise advice of steam users who told me to share my modding endeavours here ! (I'll create a topic)

And I come to realise...This is my first post on simtrop's forum while I have registered in 2005...a whooping 12 years ago ! Oh my, what a journey ! at first a eager downloader of mods for SC4, and now it is my turn to attempt to mod the recent Cities Skylines:D
Anyway, on the personal level, I am 27, live in France and started modding as a way to get familiar with 3D modelling (I am a 2d artist attempting to get in the 3D animation business).
That's it ! See you on the forums :)

3 people like this

@Zhubathan

Hiya and welcome to posting in the forums! (I would say welcome to Simtropolis, but your membership pre-dates mine by a considerable margin.) *;)

On 26/02/2017 at 5:47 PM, Zhubathan said:

I come to simtropolis on the wise advice of steam users who told me to share my modding endeavours here ! (I'll create a topic)

I couldn't agree more with that advice... The modding community for C:S continues to grow and prosper. Although I'm not too familiar with it myself, there are lots of exciting projects going on there, so I'm sure any of your knowledge would be appreciated.

12 years on, it's never too late to make an opening post, and you're very welcome here on the forums! *:thumb:

Like most things in life, often that first step is the most challenging.