Bad Peanut

Random Mod Idea: Rising Sea Levels

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

So what with the Environmental DLC coming up I thought I'd voice a mod Idea that I've had for a while - unfortunately I don't have any time to test its feasibility or its success but if anyone thinks they could do it, I think it would be quite interesting!

A percentage of people make it known that the end game for CS gets a little quiet once you reach a certain point of development, and their lack of wanting to make changes to their city without being forced to is probably a part of that. 
ND addressed this by giving people the ability to lay waste to their cities and need to rebuild. My idea falls in the same line but a bit more gradual and not necessarily as dramatic.

The Idea: Rising Sea Levels. 

In the game we have 2 types of water controls, we have sea level and we have water spawners.

• The sea level has a set value that it fills to. This would be the value that the mod would control.
  • this wouldn't affect spawners so rivers and waterfalls would still act as normal.

How it would work:

• after a set number of years the city i played, for instance 50 years. The mod starts slowly adding a configurable integer to the sea levels value. 
  • this integer could be controlled by
    • either player controlled options panel - the player would set how much high the level rises per period of water rising
    • a formula based on the amount of non renewable resources are mined/used in power stations. (more CPU heavy I suppose)
  • Then another set number of years could mark a periodic rise in the sea levels. So every 5 years after the first 50 years the sea level could rise by 0.2m(example).
  • the mod could even add a hard limit so the water wouldn't raise above a certain point (maybe randomly generated so the player can't plan ahead and just build above the final sea level)

The desired effect of the mod would be to slowly increase the sea level of the map over a long stretch of time, enough time for the player to build up a vast city and then need to change the planning as the lower levels get flooded permanently as the sea levels rise. The player would hardly notice it as it slowly rose, but the gradual effect would become more and more pronounced as the levels rose and more buildings became flooded.

various remedies the player could do to counteract these rising tides:

• demolish and rebuild on higher ground
  • use dams/quays/seawalls to hold back the tide
  • raise the terrain
  • move water around using the water pumps and water outlets.
  • probably a combination of the above
  • or something i can't even think of

Just thought it would be cool!

Interesting. Maybe, someone can make the seawalls we have in the game useful. I never use them because you can't connect the ends properly to anything.

Bad Peanut    383
  • Original Poster
  • 12 minutes ago, Turjan said:

Interesting. Maybe, someone can make the seawalls we have in the game useful. I never use them because you can't connect the ends properly to anything.

What do you mean? they're only supposed to connect to themselves - which they do very well?

Bad Peanut    383
  • Original Poster
  • 3 minutes ago, Miccrosshill said:

i love the idea of having 2 tides a day .. like in RL. maybe 1-2m diffrence - would add a lot of realism to the game ..

that's not really what I was talking about... maybe make your own post suggesting it?

Also, as it happens the game doesn't actually have days (not really) so the water moves too slow to even consider that. you might be able to time it to a week but I don't really see any benefit of adding that - it's not like it would affect anything. At least with rising sea levels it adds extra challenge to the game eventually

This is really interesting. Maybe there can be an option for the sea level to rise forever. It would obviously eventually end the game, and you won't be able to build anymore, but that can make things fun (and depressing) so you would try to find ways to last as long as possible.

1 hour ago, Bad Peanut said:

What do you mean? they're only supposed to connect to themselves - which they do very well?

It would be nice to be able to sink them seamlessly into the ground where the ground gets higher. Now you either have to make full circles or have them go up the hill (which looks silly) to be useful. You can also abuse the weird water physics that prevents water from going through small gaps, but that looks even sillier. I can't remember anyone using them in a video. On the other hand, the quays are used all the time.

Anyway, that's what I have to think of when I think of rising water.