Dreadnought

Creating An Airport From Scratch

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Yo, guys --

I find myself in an unenviable position --- *:party:

It seems I have made an excellent job of building a JENX Airport.  All the terminals appear, all the lights light up, airplanes taxi around, they take off and land, and they mill about in the skies overhead.  It is a joy to behold in action -- and a thing of beauty.  (Only took about 2 week's work.)

UNFORTUNATELY -- after building -- I discovered that the airport query function showed some discrepancies.  After casting about and getting a bit of feedback from the forum, I found the original thread where the creators were working on it.  To make a sad story much shorter, it was probably never actually finished and released as a "fully functioning" airport.  It may, or may not, "handle" traffic and probably will NOT bestow the sought after "cap-buster" for my business community.  Basically, I've got a GYNORMOUS bit of eye-candy !!

Rather than bulldoze the whole thing, I would like to create a small terminal lot from scratch that will function as the airport, handle the traffic, and bestow the "cap-buster".  At least that way, I will have a really nice looking airport with a small lot that delivers the goods.

I can make the lot, and use Maxis PIM to create a model / descriptor file for an airport.  No problem.  And most of the descriptor is self-explanatory -- but I do have a couple questions --

In the descriptor, "Demand Created" has a series of numbers that need to be filled in with a quantity -- 8208 -- 8224 -- 8240 -- 6160 -- 6176 -- 6192

(1) For an airport -- what does "demand Created" actually represent ??

(2) What are those numbers associated with, or represent ??

(3) Will this give me a "FUNCTIONAL" Maxis Query box ??

(4) And will this provide the "cap-buster" ??

IF I HAVE GONE AT THIS ALL WRONG -- THEN HOW DO I GET A FUNCTIONING MAXIS AIRPORT ON A CUSTOM LOT ??

ANY help will be mightily welcomed !!

Thanx --

The "little" problem is that both airports and seaports are really difficult to make, as you need to manually edit their exemplars to make them functional rather than eye-candy. @Tyberius06 and Andreas were talking of this very problem just some hours ago on SC4devotion, which is a lucky coincidence, but I don't think that learning the needed modding skills will be very easy...

BTW, I would love to see your eye-candy work with the airport, as I also plan to do a modular one and I'm searching examples

Dreadnought    1,566
  • Original Poster
  • 31 minutes ago, matias93 said:

BTW, I would love to see your eye-candy work with the airport, as I also plan to do a modular one and I'm searching examples

Yo, guy -- thanks for the input

Obviously, at this point, I cannot recommend the Jenx airports. 

And, to be quite honest -- this airport is not an example of my best work.  First -- I had no idea how much real estate this thing could occupy, so it wound up squeezed into the city -- which didn't leave much room for being creative.

AND -- I'm not really into airports and planes -- so I kind of fumbled around a lot.

BUT -- I will eventually post some pics over on the "Working On Thread".

For now -- I'm going to go see what exemplars they're editing.  If it's just a matter of changing a few lines -- I'm up for it.

Airports are a nightmare to mod as functional, because they rely on something called an Airport Controller to work. Code needs to link the controller in use to any lots for it, but if we take a step back for a second and ask "What is it that makes an airport functional?", there is actually a better way...

So there is no such thing as a functioning airport in SC4, planes do not take sims and freight anywhere, nor do they arrive whatsoever. The game simply has no mechanisms that would allow any of that to really happen. When people think about a "functional" airport, what they really mean is one that has certain effects and stats that boost the economy/demands to justify the airports existence.

So what is the easiest solution to keeping these "functional" stats, whilst having an airport that looks better than the Maxis originals? Well there are a couple ways around it, one is to download one of the common airport sets, which mostly are total eye-candy. They include a simple 1x1 lot with all the effects an airport gives off, only they are not actually an airport. You get both the look of an airport and the same boosts as one, perhaps if modded so, even greater benefits. On a similar train of thought, take one of the original Maxis Airport lots and make a copy of it using the Reader. Re-design the lot as you like, ensuring the size remains the same and that none of the Building Exemplar properties are altered. For example, make it one segment of the runway or some hangers etc. Then make all the other modular pieces to build a complete airport that you need, keep these as simply eye-candy or neutral lots. It's not as easy as it sounds, because the game doesn't like you to edit these lots. But if you put together a lot the same size as the Maxis Airport, I'd happily handle creating the override using your lot that would function as intended.

Dreadnought    1,566
  • Original Poster
  • 1 hour ago, rsc204 said:

Airports are a nightmare to mod as functional....

"What is it that makes an airport functional?"

So there is no such thing as a functioning airport in SC4, planes do not take sims and freight anywhere, nor do they arrive whatsoever. The game simply has no mechanisms that would allow any of that to really happen. When people think about a "functional" airport, what they really mean is one that has certain effects and stats that boost the economy/demands to justify the airports existence.

Yo, guy --

Thanks for taking the time -- and for the offer of the lot.  That was kind of you. *:thumb:  *:thumb:

BUT --

After hearing from a few other members, today, (and searching a few more discussion threads), I came to the conclusion that messing with airport lots was going to be way beyond being worth the trouble involved.

And after realizing what a bear it would be to work out anything with the Jenx terminals, I had just about given up on the idea entirely.

AND -- as you pointed out, it was simply a matter of making the real estate "pay it's way" by providing the benefit effect and the cap-buster.

Sooooo --

While I was busy laying down miles and miles of hand-tailored landscape -- the thought hit me like a brick !!

I simply plopped the SFBT Airport Shuttle down inside the airport grounds and accomplished everything I wanted WITHOUT all that work and frustration.

But, I DO thank you for the offer.