9 posts in this topic Last Reply

And here I am again. This time I struggle with not appearing metal effects.

cities-skylines-asset-metal-shader-effect-gone.jpg.365f1676eef326f04eed5e620dac22a0.jpg

I used the specular map for the lanterns (80 to 90% brightness). In asset editor the shader works fine. The colours don't show when editing them (used the lounger as template) but at least ingame they do. But not the metal effect. Instead, everthing is super bright and saturated. the example shows the copper version (I think). Its bright orange ingame.

I tried the illumination map in black and 192-gray. It has no normal map (yet). the diffuse colour is a grey tone. Theme and LUT are the same in both screenshots.

Is this normal behaviour for props? Can I force the metal shader ingame or do I have to work with the "coated" effect?

Additional note: I wanted to use the rotors shader as well. Does it work with metal and do you control it with the alpha map?

hadece    2
  • Original Poster
  • 9 minutes ago, Miccrosshill said:

i have also issues with props and colors since masstransit. Ronyx gave me the tip to save the asset and then load them again ... maybe this helps

Sadly, reloading and saving the asset again changed nothing. :( In asset editor it looks fine and ingame is still candy party.

There is no metal shader. you are using the default prop shader with a high specularity. I am not sure what result you are expecting, and what you mean by coated effect.

Also I would never judge anything by the way it looks in the asset editor, always test ingame.

hadece    2
  • Original Poster
  • @Darf it's not the colour that bothers me, but the huge difference between asset editor and ingame result. I thought I made a mistake in the importing process.

@Ronyx69 Good to know that there is no metal shader. The asset creation guide on steam stated that specular maps can create metallic and chrome effects when the brightness is around 80 to 90%. And indeed the specular light is coloured on my asset in the editor. Therefore I thought the metal shader exists.

(With coated I just meant the usual specular effect. It looks like a coated surface... you know, like car paint.)

Thanks for your help guys!

Posted (edited)
    10 hours ago, hadece said:

@Darf it's not the colour that bothers me, but the huge difference between asset editor and ingame result. I thought I made a mistake in the importing process.

@Ronyx69 Good to know that there is no metal shader. The asset creation guide on steam stated that specular maps can create metallic and chrome effects when the brightness is around 80 to 90%. And indeed the specular light is coloured on my asset in the editor. Therefore I thought the metal shader exists.

(With coated I just meant the usual specular effect. It looks like a coated surface... you know, like car paint.)

The numbers in that guide are completely made up, and also the same guide states that the format/quality/file size of the import textures matters, which it doesn't, they are completely irrelevant because the game recompresses the textures to DXT1, only the resolution matters.

As I said, never judge the final result in the asset editor, test ingame, using your luts and comparing to other assets for context... This will become even easier once I finish my new texture replacer mod/script so that you can replace any texture ingame in realtime and see the results immediately, so iteration and testing will be very quick, with no reloads or reimports.

In the CG world, a metal shader usually refers to a black or near black diffuse, but the reflection/specularity being multiplied by a color instead. This is not what this game does in any scenario as far as I've seen, the default prop shader definitely doesn't do this. Car Paint usually refers to a metallic shader + maybe a regular gloss shader mixed in + clear coat on top, which this game definitely doesn't do lmao.

Here's a 0-100 specularity gradient, it controls the specular highlight amount (which gets very bright very quickly), the fake environment reflection (which seems to increase in strength more reasonably) and the blur of the environment reflection, which I assume is just mipmapping bias, so the lower specularity gets a lower resolution reflection map, so it looks blurry...

Edited by Ronyx69  

hadece    2
  • Original Poster
  • thanks for clarifying! And I will defintely try out your mod as soon as possible!

On 8/19/2017 at 6:24 AM, hadece said:

@Darf it's not the colour that bothers me, but the huge difference between asset editor and ingame result. I thought I made a mistake in the importing process.

You should check out the official skylineswiki.com/Modding that the devs wrote. it tells you that it's specular not metal there.. it's also updated each patch if there are new supported modding technique (like when the citizen editor was released)

The dev that works on the editor will always add details on how to use it on this website.