Dirktator

Dark or Light Theme for Simtropolis?

Dark or Light theme for Simtropolis  

157 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of theme do you prefer for Simtropolis?

• Light theme (current)
    • Dark theme

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 08/19/2017 at 01:53 AM

We're entertaining the idea of providing a second theme option for Simtropolis. It is a fair amount of work not only to create another theme but to also manage it through updates - but if there's enough interest, it's something we may undertake.

For this poll, I just want to get a sense if people generally would like a Dark or Light theme for Simtropolis. 

And, yes, should we roll out a dark theme, you will have the option to pick which one you'd like to use.

I'd prefer the post boxes to remain as black text on white background. 

But ideally for me the background would be made darker or replaced with an image. The text that floats outside of the main boxes (like the title post at the top of the page) would possibly need to be changed to be readable. 

6 minutes ago, Jasoncw said:

I'd prefer the post boxes to remain as black text on white background. 

But ideally for me the background would be made darker or replaced with an image. The text that floats outside of the main boxes (like the title post at the top of the page) would possibly need to be changed to be readable. 

This would be also my first option, but I don't know if everybody else thinks alike.

And just to know, It would be easier or harder to make the alternate themes to work through an external plugin, such as Stylish? I'm thinking precisely on the multiple variations that different users would like, and that would be more easily made available if any user (with the required knowlegde) can fork the 'official' theme and to publish an alternate one.

The way our eyes work, light text on a dark background provides more contrast (object definition) than dark on bright. This allows one to turn monitor brightness down, even with some light in the room (I have a low-intensity, "warm" light splashing the wall behind my desk). On my monitor, I need an 88 brightness for dark text on white, and I need only 45-50 to work with cyan on black.

Those who don't like a dark BG usually have their monitors turned up so high that the lit text begins to hurt as their eyes begin to dilate. Well, the idea was to remove the need for all that brightness, so turn it down.

Choice of text color will have an effect: Blue, or anything (such as white) containing blue will tend to keep people awake by inhibiting melatonin. Red, yellow & green are not as disruptive. Of course, even the bluest text on a dark BG with screen brightness reduced is far less disruptive than white BG with brightness turned up. An ideal dark theme would allow users to choose between stay-awake and prep-for-sleep tinting, but I have melatonin pills so I can deal with whatever we end up with.

3 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

I would like if the Big Heart for Posts could change back to the old color tho.

Fixed!

Looks like IPS were a bit stingy and cut the ribbon down by half the size. I guess the 4.2 batch must be twice as expensive. :whatevs:

3 hours ago, Samerton said:

I'd personally use a dark theme, just created a quick mockup to give an idea as to how it could look.

Nicely done.

For the Dark vs Light theme debate, I'm always a bit supporter of choice wherever possible. Of course, having two themes would effectively double the workload, since each must be managed independently. However providing there is demand as early signs indicate, it is something worth considering.

Personally I always prefer lighter brighter themes, as they seem much more jolly and welcoming in comparison do anything dark and dingy. Also when visiting other sites such as the world's most popular search engine, it takes a while to adjust if coming from a darker place. Then again, others may not mind such disparities so that's where a preference may be useful.

2 hours ago, Jasoncw said:

To get around the titles without using a container, maybe a gradient would work. Then the page could be coloured a different shade at the bottom. So when scrolling down, it'd also be indicative of how far down you are as the contrast increases.

1 hour ago, matias93 said:

And just to know, It would be easier or harder to make the alternate themes to work through an external plugin, such as Stylish?

That may be a possibility. I wouldn't have thought it'd be harder, since it'd be applied to the base theme as a user-side script. I suppose though any major changes to the theme through updates would similarly need updating.

A while back @Hellken created a Stylish script to modify the round avatars. But it would of course be more complex to modify an entire colour scheme, since there are various aspects within that'd need customising for it to look nice and also not hinder navigation.

1 hour ago, jeffryfisher said:

Those who don't like a dark BG usually have their monitors turned up so high that the lit text begins to hurt as their eyes begin to dilate.

I usually have my brightness set to minimum unless doing graphics work. So increasing is my first reaction on rare occasions I stumble upon a darker themed site involving text. At least until getting used to the contrast levels, it just seems way too dark otherwise.

Sites like Derpibooru and TVtropes allows you to toggle the theme from light to dark and vice versa. So yes, I'd love to have the option of changing the theme.

I would prefer a dark theme as it makes images (in CJ's for example) pop out more. Of course, it would have to be an at least half-way neutral color in order to prevent a change of color perception in the images.

16 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

I voted for light with the idea one theme is fine for me. I would like if the Big Heart for Posts could change back to the old color tho. (Or change it to a pretty pink.)

Old:
598e219be83cf_8.xBigHeart.jpg.dd56f47d0f0f71e3d95a37b8ba1c4dc4.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Current:
598e219ccef41_9.0BigHeart.jpg.30723a84a69062ebfd922398093b7978.jpg

*;)

Consider it done in case you hadn't noticed ;)