• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for July   06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
MisterBlueStar4

Travel Question

A travel question   7 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather travel with your parents,friends or alone

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 posts in this topic

Would any of you rather go on a trip with your parents,friends,alone?

I would go with my friends because even though I love my parents very much they argue too much on every trip we go on which ruins it for me.If I go alone I would get pretty bored quickly because there's no one with you to have fun with.With friends you could all have a pretty good time without getting into a fight or argument.

Once a friend came to Japan to stay and travel with me. I mostly poke around buildings and study architecture, while my friend is a anime lover. There is no way to plan a route to fully satisfy both our travel goals. One week later we end up going our separate ways on day time and only come together at night at the hotel. It was still a good experience, we would talk about where we traveled during the day and we get to share our hotel bills. 

That changed briefly when we climbed Fuji - we stick together for safety measure. But once we were done we go separate again.  

So for your question, I think it really depends on whether you and your friend have the same interest or not, and/ or where you are going. 

For parents, I think I would still travel with them if they wanted to, and try to tolerate them as long as things aren't really too bad. They are my family, after all. 

Of course, If I am going to someplace that is absolutely safe and without language barrier, I definitely prefer going alone. I just love to be able to go wherever I want, whenever I want, with absolutely no arguments. 

It depends on the circumstance. If there is a lot to do like a resort type of excursion I would want to bring someone. One time I floated the idea of travelling with a former girlfriend to Squaw Valley.

If it's a cross-country there-and-back I would prefer to do it solo. This way I could go at my own pace and wander as much as I want.

Coming up in August I will be making a trip to San Diego for the annual Tiki Oasis with my dad. And then in October I will be with mom on a cruise which will have stops in Santa Barbra, San Francisco, and Ensenada. Technically I don't need a passport but I applied for one and am expecting it to be mailed in 'just in case' something happens. They're good for about 10 years so whose to say I won't consider another international travel in that time!

After a month of travelling to Japan (just came back 3 days ago!), I can tell you the verdict on it: It is best to travel alone with a few friends along the way. 

I found out that during solo trips you will have the independence to do things by yourself. However, this can get a little boring if you do not entertain yourself properly. A few interactions with locals can change it and they'll show you the best spots. Travelling with friends can be a little difficult if you guys do not have matching interests, but at least there will be someone to take a photo of you when that time comes. It takes a little bit of give and take but I'm pretty sure it will work out in the end and you two will be happy. The same case with travelling with family although that'll be harder than travelling with friends.

_Michael and TekindusT like this

Got mixed feelings on this... I haven't traveled with my parents since I was 18 and the experience was good depending on the case. Road trips and city trips on our own were always fun, our best trip was to New York without a doubt, in 2008. Except in the New York case, I was never 100% sold on the laid back idea of travel they have. It's great for them, and learnt a lot from my parents, but more often than not, the experience could be a bit boring. I was also in these teenage years though.

Since then, I started doing my own thing, and traveling mostly with friends. It's taken some years to start learning how to travel and, especially, whom to travel with. I have to admit my interests tend to differ of those of normal people, or my parents themselves, and this tends to be a reminder of thinking twice before traveling with someone. See, I did a mini-tour at the end of my Erasmus semester, Berlin-Prague-Munich-Frankfurt am Main(*)-Berlin; and it was quite the least funny trip I ever had. I don't keep too good memories of it. I wasn't really in sync with the people I went with and each of us wanted to see and do different stuff. We were bored all day despite being surrounded of interesting things; is that even possible? I wanted to sightsee, they wanted just to sit and do nothing all day. I haven't paid my bus ticket just to lay on the grass, you stupid! If you're going to travel with friends, choose wisely; go with like-minded people. The effort can be very rewarding.

I find traveling great as I also find living alone great. Some people can't stand it. When living alone, you go in and out as you please, being the lord of your own decisions, without having to give any explanations about what you want to do. The best travel hack is however, traveling alone but meeting some local you know at the place for some time. I try to do this when possible, and the experience is always rewarding as you venture a bit off the beaten path, go to cool places, try food, try that beer place no tourist would ever go to, and so on. And in some countries (Russia, Poland...) they can do the talking for you, which comes in quite handy to be well treated at places.

(*) Yeah, we went to one of the least touristic cities in Germany. Wanted to see the skyscrapers.

I'm not sure I'd do much travel with my parents anymore, but that's mostly because I'm old and have kids of my own to drag around.  They're still small so we haven't done much serious travel.  Lots and lots of short day trips when we lived in Japan, and these days we're exploring Upper Michigan.  I can't imagine traveling without them.