• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Need your donations for May & June!   04/30/2017

We need your support to help keep Simtropolis online. We also need a little bit more this month to enhance the new chat with some features, such as mobile support! Please consider a donation today if you can help out, it would mean a lot! And we'll send you a little gift in return.  Help us reach our May goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
jzeltman

jz's creations

11 posts in this topic

Hey all, first I wanted to say thank you for all the time and effort you've put into making this game amazing. I've enjoyed many hours with your creations and wanted to start giving back to the community. I began making assets a month or two ago when my workload got slower than normal, and now I can't get enough of it :)

I've mostly been working on smaller assets because I just started modeling in 3D two months ago, so everything is still pretty new. Thank you so much @Ronyx69 for making your videos available. I learned a lot from watching them :)

Today I have a questions about illumination maps, my Rusty Warehouse 2 seems to have the windows illuminated all the time, and I don't know how to fix it:

0ACCC1F8F7E2C5536310A4966AA7C94722AE540F

This is my illumination map: 

5u1E3ml.png

My other question for today, which I'm thinking I know the answer to, is: Can a single asset be both growable and rico? And if not, is the preferred method of differentiation to have 2 separate assets in the workshop? Or two .crp files in the same asset?

13 minutes ago, jzeltman said:

Hey all, first I wanted to say thank you for all the time and effort you've put into making this game amazing. I've enjoyed many hours with your creations and wanted to start giving back to the community. I began making assets a month or two ago when my workload got slower than normal, and now I can't get enough of it :)

I've mostly been working on smaller assets because I just started modeling in 3D two months ago, so everything is still pretty new. Thank you so much @Ronyx69 for making your videos available. I learned a lot from watching them :)

Today I have a questions about illumination maps, my Rusty Warehouse 2 seems to have the windows illuminated all the time, and I don't know how to fix it:

0ACCC1F8F7E2C5536310A4966AA7C94722AE540F

This is my illumination map: 

5u1E3ml.png

My other question for today, which I'm thinking I know the answer to, is: Can a single asset be both growable and rico? And if not, is the preferred method of differentiation to have 2 separate assets in the workshop? Or two .crp files in the same asset?

Welcome! So far it looks great.

As for your questions, the windows of your illum map seem to be in 0-128 range, where they should be in the 128-256 range.

As for RICO, you can add a RICO xml to growables. The only downside is that once that assets grows, it won't grow to the next lvl. The best option is to let users choose if they want RICO or not, they can always convert a growable to RICO via the options menu.

Avanya likes this

12 minutes ago, Darf said:

Welcome! So far it looks great.

As for your questions, the windows of your illum map seem to be in 0-128 range, where they should be in the 128-256 range.

As for RICO, you can add a RICO xml to growables. The only downside is that once that assets grows, it won't grow to the next lvl. The best option is to let users choose if they want RICO or not, they can always convert a growable to RICO via the options menu.

@Darf thanks for the reply. I thought that the 0-128 range would use the diffuse texture and illuminate 'through' that? 

I've got the xml definition alongside the rico file for the asset, but when I test the file locally, I can't find it in the growable assets in the theme editor. Is there documentation on all the rico properties someplace? I've looked but was unable to find what I needed.

I'll add this guide to the mix - it explains the different values for illuminating buildings. For buildings you basicly almost always want to use colors at or above 128 and use 192 as your neutral color (for areas that won't be lit). Those are the ones that give the random illumination (so it isn't on during the day).

1 hour ago, Avanya said:

I'll add this guide to the mix - it explains the different values for illuminating buildings. For buildings you basicly almost always want to use colors at or above 128 and use 192 as your neutral color (for areas that won't be lit). Those are the ones that give the random illumination (so it isn't on during the day).

I join this discussion as a noob as well, as I have another question about illumination maps.

In the range 128-255 will I get illumination according to the diffuse texture or always white?
If the second option is correct, there is no way to have illumination according to the diffuse texture which is only on at night, is it?

1 hour ago, vitusweb said:

In the range 128-255 will I get illumination according to the diffuse texture or always white?

Each building randomly samples a color from the light palette of the current map theme.

1 hour ago, vitusweb said:

If the second option is correct, there is no way to have illumination according to the diffuse texture which is only on at night, is it?

No.

Avanya likes this

4 hours ago, Ronyx69 said:

Each building randomly samples a color from the light palette of the current map theme.

Thanks, now I also understand what that light palette is for.

Did someone mention nightlight ??? :)

Also... 

4 hours ago, Ronyx69 said:

Hmmm ? A map theme has a color palette for nightlights ? Didn't know that, I'm tired of seeing buildings with bright blue or green ligths.

I'm currently working on a multi-track train station station to take advantage of the new DLC:

RIyF038.png

It's far from done, but I had a question about size. The model is bigger than the 8x16 max size available, and this model doesn't include the front facade of the building that is another 10x6. It seems to me that using sub-buildings can allow for larger footprints than the default, does that allow for a single building to be bigger than the default maximum? I think I read that if a single building is bigger than the max-footprint, than the part of the model outside the max-footprint is culled?

Unrelated, but another question would it would be possible to use the cable-cars as a base to make something like a funicular:

6939930111_b6213f2817_b.jpg