• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Need your donations for May & June!   05/01/2017

We need your support to help keep Simtropolis online. We also need a little bit more this month to enhance the new chat with some features, such as mobile support! Please consider a donation today if you can help out, it would mean a lot! And we'll send you a little gift in return.  Help us reach our May goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
    • Dirktator

About our affiliation with GOG.com   05/23/2017

Simtropolis is now an affiliate of GOG.com! When you use one of our affiliate links to GOG.com, all it means is that Simtropolis has a chance to earn a small commission from any purchases you might make. So if you see something that tickles your fancy, please use our affiliate links and by doing so, you'll help support Simtropolis! Thanks!
Chief ZDN

Why So Many Moderators Here?

12 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I'm don't want Mod rank now and I don't request it and I only accept the rank if the staff give me the rank.:golly: I want to ask. Why so many moderators here? And, how CorinaMarie that's joined 2016 (correct me if wrong) can obtain the rank (beside of trustness)? Is it caused by an 'moderator contest'? :DI don't criticize or even disagree your hard work that led to Mod rank. Again, I'm just want to ask some questions. :}

Thank you.

honestly I have wondered this as well. the ratio of active users to moderators is rather high. 

13 minutes ago, rsc204 said:

... It's too long to quote

I've seen a community that a way of 2 ways to be a staff is always active, contribute, and make an application. I think, this community doesn't need anything but trustworthiness, active (I think the member doesn't need to active 24 hour a day), and make a big contribution. I think, the moderators here is more relaxing than more need-moderated-things community, like multiplayer servers. Correct me if I wrong.

Thanks.

Cyclone Boom, APSMS and CorinaMarie like this

I'd certainly like to think things were pretty relaxed around here, within some sensible parameters of course.

APSMS likes this

@Chief ZDN Yes, staff selection is often done by choosing active members which have shown themselves to be helpful and friendly, and reliable at maintaining site etiquette in their posts (users who attempt to act like staff are not typically helpful).

Part of this is that an application system is not helpful with a large community that is mostly self-policing like ST. Inevitably people who apply for the job would likely be least equipped for it, though perhaps this is the case across the internet. The other part is that, as noted, Simtropolis is not a democracy, it is a service provided by the benevolent Dirktator, so demonstration of ability to work with existing site staff and admins is also necessary.

I guess you could call it deputizing all of the most helpful, active members. A lot of the mods were constantly contributing to the site before we were made mods, and continued to do this afterwards, though now with the mod tag and everything that brings with it.

At the end of the day, it more or less becomes a community of people who have shown that they're willing to devote their time to making this a productive part of the internet. If you visit SC4Devotion, you'll notice that a lot of the people that frequent there are also mods or other site staff, and again part of this is more a product of the fact that the people who add to the community and stick around are also likely to be valued for their consistency, level-headedness, and their ability to work with other community members, so the decision to add them onto the staff is a natural progression.

I admit it may seem like a large moderator presence, but this can be ignored for the most part when we're not dropping posts in Moderator Blue.

As the venerable @A Nonny Moose liked to point out, the moderator pay doubles annually. I haven't yet been a moderator long enough to confirm this personally, but I can say its true of others I've seen go before me, and its a humbling thought to think about when I realize their dedication to fostering the attitude of the community, which is one of the friendlier and more well-behaved of the internet gaming communities I've been to.

Welcome to Simtropolis ZDN (Zamboanga del Norte, province of Philippines).   Can we interest you in some city-builder games?  Some interesting graphics and arts and fun technical computer gizmos, gadgets and widgets and maybe some good humor and friendly gamer talk?  Gog is selling the games at such a low price now, it does not make sense that anybody anywhere in the world who afforded a computer or handheld device capable of accessing the internet could not also afford the game.  

Cyclone Boom likes this

2 minutes ago, RandyE said:

Welcome to Simtropolis ZDN (Zamboanga del Norte, province of Philippines).   Can we interest you in some city-builder games?  Some interesting graphics and arts and fun technical computer gizmos, gadgets and widgets and maybe some good humor and friendly gamer talk?  Gog is selling the games at such a low price now, it does not make sense that anybody anywhere in the world who afforded a computer or handheld device capable of accessing the internet could not also afford the game.  

:D. ZDN in my username isn't mean that. ZDN is meaning acronym of my call name, Z ay d a n (spaced word mean a character of that acronym, I'm using tablet to post so bolding is 'painful'). Yes, I can buy but my mom 'prohibit' me to withdraw my balance. See my posts for giveaway suggestion. I couldn't explain it here because it can be out topic.

RandyE likes this

2 minutes ago, Chief ZDN said:

:D. ZDN in my username isn't mean that. ZDN is meaning acronym of my call name, Z ay d a n (spaced word mean a character of that acronym, I'm using tablet to post so bolding is 'painful'). Yes, I can buy but my mom 'prohibit' me to withdraw my balance. See my posts for giveaway suggestion. I couldn't explain it here because it can be out topic.

My second guess was ZDNet, but that seemed more unlikely.  I did read the bit about your school fund in another thread.  I can understand a parent resisting a child spending too much time watching TV or playing vid games, but you seem to be a student more focused on productivity than just passively wasting time.    Also, if your direction in school is in graphic design as you've said, then studying the CGI of a family-friendly city-builder game like in the SimCity series would seem to be a good small investment in your education.   Thanks, Zaydan :lol:  

5 hours ago, AprilAero said:

the ratio of active users to moderators is rather high.

Not shure about that. I think every moderator has a double existence - he is a user and a moderator at the same time. One had to qualify which posts by moderators are 'moderator post' and which posts by moderators are 'normal user posts'. Or one could say: you can count moderators only as moderators when they doing a moderator job but you can't count a moderator as a moderator as long as he/she is enjoying the community like everybody else.  Downloading a file f.e. - the moderator don't moderate he's just a user.

Members having the label 'moderator' can be talked to in two ways you can talk to them like to a normal users and you can talk to them in case you need some site related service. So as long as you don't call him/her 'hey moderator!' - they aren't moderators. One could say - it's more like a button to activate, it's not an 'always on' state.

So maybe, doing a 'ratio' only by the label is wrong. One had to make the ratio by 'actions'. And then I had to say - I don't see that much 'moderator action' here compared to 'normal users action'. As - in terms of the theory of sets - 'moderators' are only a subsets of the set 'users'. They aren't 'authority only' or like in hospital where they wear special clothes to make clear - I'm working here, I'm no patient. They aren't doctors - they are patients like me but I can 'activate' those patients to become a doctor. All in all - they are quite strange, they are what may be called shapeshifters.

6 hours ago, Chief ZDN said:

I'm don't want Mod rank now and I don't request it and I only accept the rank if the staff give me the rank.:golly: I want to ask. Why so many moderators here?

Thanks for asking.

Some most excellent, accurate and well-reasoned clarifications have already been posted.

Just to add, I also think a previous post I made helps address this question:

On 17/01/2017 at 0:50 AM, Cyclone Boom said:

Well, I do believe for any online community to flourish, there needs to be a careful balance of moderation. Too much and it can become overpowering, but too little and it quickly becomes a free-for-all. Rest assured, all new staff were considered based on their existing proven contributions to the site. It was a very thoughtful, not a random selection process. With so many helpful and valued members, finding suitable candidates is never easy. However, from an admin perspective, the idea is to always make these decisions considering the wider implications.

This is a voluntary team effort to keep Simtropolis open and enjoyable. Generally, city-building rarely encourages spiteful discussion. Although when situations do require a response, it's reassuring to have people on hand to restore calm and stability, in the fairest possible way.

Sure, we're not robots. We all make mistakes and learn from them. But as site staff (both new and old), our goal is to always strive to maintain the right balance, for the benefit of everyone in this magnificent community.

So speaking from an admin perspective, I can confirm there isn't a contest to become a moderator, and no application process (formal or informal).

We independently consider those who've proven to be consistently active, trusted and helpful in the community. With less focus on how long someone has been a member, rather more about the contributions made whilst being here. There's also no timescale for when new recruits are considered, and it's really a matter of supply vs. demand in a continuous, yet variable cycle. If there aren't seats to fill, we don't create new ones unless the demand overwhelmingly suggests otherwise.

As for the staff list, please bear in mind this currently includes previous moderators who are no longer active, or have since officially retired from duty (through mutual consent). The list will soon be updated to reflect these alterations.

At the start of the year, we felt a need to take on new staff in order to fill notable gaps in coverage. Which I must add have done a highly commendable job so far, being an enormous help to not only assist with keeping the site running smoothly the past few months, but drive it forward with momentum.

Although it does play a part, as mentioned, the role of moderator is also far from just about enforcing rules and so forth (in the fairest possible way). A big task for staff is to work and collaborate in the background on a range of projects including the Trixies & Challenges. Assisting in a broader role to help keep Simtropolis what's hopefully an enjoyable, fun and friendly city-building society to be a part of. *:)

I'll add a few more comments in addition to what's already been discussed;

The sites users are international, and we like to have a wide moderation base that can react to issues in different time zones. We don't actively seek this out when considering people for a moderators position, but it's a great benefit of having a large moderating group. 

Moderating is a voluntary position, and we understand that not everyone can dedicate their time to ST 24/7. Some can only fit in a couple nights a week, and that's fine. It's really useful to have a few eyes on the same area, so that when one of those eyes isn't looking,  we have another set that can help out.

We love having a broad range of views on issues behind the scenes. It's helpful being able to discuss issues with everyone before we take a stance on any situation so that our actions are representative of the morals of ST. It keeps all of the staff on the same page and means that we don't have dominant personalities orchestrating how the sites rules are enforced, but we have one unified stance.

Lastly, the moderating team is pretty awesome, and I wouldn't want to have any less members than we do now. We don't have much to moderate these days, not in comparison to 10 years ago, but it's awesome having this great team who like to get stuck into other projects, are always willing to give their feedback and are generally just great people :8)