CorinaMarie

SimCity 3000 for $2.49 at Gog.com

On 5/13/2017 at 6:22 AM, catty-cb said:

There are some detailed instructions on creating your own textures over at CB

Woot! That helped me create my first ever Detail Item. Now this isn't particularly good, but as a first attempt I created those round windows. I believe for real use they'd look good in the upper middle of the gable end of the house. Ofc, that means I'd need said house to be one more block wide so it could be centered. Anyhow, here it is:

15_img0510.jpg.8ca0567387e32dcdb5fb4dbc97f8e031.jpg

And here's both of them in game:

16_img0511.jpg.9d04db7da66721c56d2aa8c0e2673d2b.jpg

*:blush:

So, I tried my first house from scratch. I used the lower roof pitch so I could have the overhang in the front and back. However, there isn't a proper sloped edge detail for the gable ends along the roof line. Oh, well. I'm still learning.

17_img0514.jpg.a968c9139942e16601533c46c5049abb.jpg

I've downloaded @BugeyedDragon's SimCity 3000 1x1 RCI Pak and here's the lovely residential house from it:

18_img0512.jpg.b9fdaec4df19e95faa37b9b617174e68.jpg

So far the only way I've gotten it to appear in my game is to load it first in the Building Architect Tool and Render to SimCity 3000 Building List before I can use it. Is this right? And it seems I'm limited to replacing an existing 1x1 Maxis residential to get it to show. My research dug up this quote:

On 6/13/2007 at 11:05 PM, ky72x said:

The B.A.T was fun to mess around with as well, but it's too bad that you could only replace a building with a custom one, instead of SC4 where it just adds on.

I guess that means I'm limited to a total of 51 residentials of that size.

My website is playing up not sure what's going on, but I can't do anything till I get home tonight, so I can't go and check the SC3 documents, I'm pretty certain from memory that you could add more buildings but could be wrong  :???:

Hello,

I want to buy all SimCity series. I have enough money. But, my mom 'prohibit' me to withdraw now. My mom suggest to withdraw at the end of month. By this, can you giveaway giftcodes to somebody on my post (SimCity 2000-4 Giveaway) and with 'the fastest can get it' system?

Thank you.

24 minutes ago, Chief ZDN said:

Hello,

I want to buy all SimCity series. I have enough money. But, my mom 'prohibit' me to withdraw now. My mom suggest to withdraw at the end of month. By this, can you giveaway giftcodes to somebody on my post (SimCity 2000-4 Giveaway) and with 'the fastest can get it' system?

Thank you.

I empathize with your situation and I wish you luck for getting the games. Perhaps explain to your mom that the price is 75% reduced right now and at the end of the month the sale will be long over. (Actually it'll be over in 15ish hours.)

Anyhow, now as a mod I need to say: Let's keep this discussion contained in the thread you already made for it here.

11 hours ago, catty-cb said:

My website is playing up not sure what's going on, but I can't do anything till I get home tonight, so I can't go and check the SC3 documents, I'm pretty certain from memory that you could add more buildings but could be wrong  :???:

There is detailed notes in the user manual, but yes you can import as many custom content buildings as you want, but you can only replace existing SC3K buildings unless you turn them into landmarks in which case you can have as many as you want in-game as long as you only want just one of them ... its a very strange system

Unfortunately, I don't believe there was any other way to add more RCI buildings to the game, at least I never found any way to get around it.

As catty mentioned, if you want to add more buildings over the limit - you'll have to start converting them to landmarks. I think the only way to do this is to use the "Landmark Converter" tool, which I believe is available on the city builders website. IIRC there was some serious memory leak or something with the program though, and if you rendered too many buildings in one sitting, it would start turning everything into a big gray blob with no textures or props on it. So the only annoying, surefire workaround was to convert a building, close the program, convert another, close it again, etc etc.

I believe it was actually possible to plop unlimited landmarks, including the custom ones you brought into the game with the Landmark Converter through use of the "building plop" cheat.

1 hour ago, CorinaMarie said:

I know you have the converter tool hosted on your site. Is there any chance you would upload it to the SimCity 3000 section of the STEX? *:idea:

I would but RL isn't letting me do more that pop my head in the door, hopefully that will change in the future but at the moment to fit everything I need to into the day I'm having to start work at 6:30am ....Didn't I gave you and @Cyclone Boom a copy of it a while back?

6 minutes ago, catty-cb said:

I would but RL isn't letting me do more that pop my head in the door, hopefully that will change in the future but at the moment to fit everything I need to into the day I'm having to start work at 6:30am ....Didn't I gave you and @Cyclone Boom a copy of it a while back?

Oh. Was it in that big zip file? If so, I can extract it. I could then upload it and change it from my name to yours.

Inside the main archive, that'd be the file named:

landmarkconverter.zip  (608 KB)

Quoting from the extracted readme text file:

Overview

This tool will convert Building Architect Plus and original BAT (.bld) files into Landmark buildings for use in SimCity 3000 Unlimited.   

The conversion process generates two files, .dat and .pin, that will be created in your installed path of SimCity Unlimited.

The default installation path looks something like this:
\\SimCity 3000 Unlimited\Apps\Plugin.

This path will be different if you have installed a non US version, or if you changed the install path.  However, the tool should be able to detect the installation path if you have SimCity 3000 Unlimited installed on your system.

The converted building files that appear in the "Plugin" directory will now be available in the SimCity 3000 Unlimited Landmark list. From the landmark list, you can plop the newly created landmark buildings anywhere in your city that you desire.

*;)

8 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

Oh. Was it in that big zip file? If so, I can extract it. I could then upload it and change it from my name to yours.

I think @T Wrecks suggestion to create a "Custodian" account would be the better way to go as these aren't my files  :read:

On 11/05/2017 at 9:28 AM, kingofsimcity said:

Coupled it with a widescreen fix and now I can enjoy the original game again at HD+ resolutions

Wait... what ???????????????????????? :golly:

It might be this:

Baseline (Widescreen) Solution & Issues

Only 4:3 resolutions are listed in-game; the steps below unlock all resolutions (from SimCity 3000 Unlimited Resolution Fix posted by Lanak)

1. Open SC3.EXE or SC3U.exe with a hex editor
  2. Search for this byte sequence: 8b 4c 24 04 8b 44 24 08 53
  3. Overwrite the first four bytes with c2 08 00 90
  4. Search for this byte sequence: 8b 4c 24 04 8b 54 24 08 81 f9
  5. Overwrite the first four bytes with c2 08 00 90

Everything has the correct aspect ratio but the menus and UI are always at the original size rather than scaling with the resolution.

The game crashes with certain resolutions (such as 1600x900).

The intro cutscene does not work on modern versions of Windows (it can be skipped using the -intro:off command line argument).

From here.

Amazing !!! This should be posted in a thread on its own. (maybe adding a link for an easy to use hex editor and a step by step tutorial for complete noobs ??).

Edit : I volunteer for doing this.

On 6/4/2017 at 5:29 PM, Cool_Z said:

(maybe adding a link for an easy to use hex editor and a step by step tutorial for complete noobs ??).

Sure. Sounds great! Let me know when you write it and we can make it a pinned topic. *;)

On 6/4/2017 at 5:29 PM, Cool_Z said:

Edit : I volunteer for doing this.

Yay!

Btw, I just grabbed the free HxD Hex Editor, installed it, and did the tweak. Now I have whole bunches of choices in the preferences menu for screen resolutions. *:)

19_img0720.jpg.5a4ef109141c4cea0dcc2665bc551ffc.jpg

*:D

Thanks !!!

It's nice to see SC3K still being loved btw. I love its cuteness and overall simplicity.
It's just sad that it offers less possibilities for customisation (I mean, yes we can add new buildings, but only by replacing existing ones or making them landmarks).

As @APSMS confirmed for SC4:

12 minutes ago, APSMS said:

SC4 is discounted again for only $5 USD. 

It's back on as part of the GOG Summer Sale! *:party:

https://www.gog.com/game/simcity_3000

According to this post, all offers are valid until:

Tuesday, June 20, 12:59 PM UTC / 5:59 AM PDT / 8:59 AM EDT / 2:59 PM CEST