• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for June & July   06/20/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we'd love to be able to do some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution is so meaningful, every dollar counts! Hardware Upgrades We've received a recommendation to consider some hardware upgrades to our ageing server. As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
    • Dirktator

Chat is back...   06/22/2017

In order to conserve resources, we've disabled the global chatbar at the bottom of the site. Instead, the Chat can be accessed by clicking the top navigation tab. It will launch a new window. If you're not seeing this behavior, try clearing your browser's cache.
CorinaMarie

Announcing the New SimCity 3000 Sub-Forum

43 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, RandyE said:

I think we may as well add the term 'map' to any file that displays a 'playable tile', whether blank or shaped or terraformed or including partial development of a city or an associated scenario.

Ok. Done. (Care to double check I got them all?) And still no luck searching for "map", but again that may need to be processed in nightly maintenance or something.

RandyE, Cyclone Boom and huzman like this

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, CorinaMarie said:

Ok. Done. (Care to double check I got them all?) And still no luck searching for "map", but again that may need to be processed in nightly maintenance or something.

Okay I'll check them, but Indiana I think we got a problem...  IIRC the search engine ignores 3 letter words.

Edit:  In that case is it possible to make an exception in the search engine for important 3 letter words, like BAT, MAP, SC4?

Edit:  checked them, all OK.

Edited by RandyE

16 minutes ago, RandyE said:

I think we got a problem...  IIRC the search engine ignores 3 letter words.

Oh, phooey.

16 minutes ago, RandyE said:

In that case is it possible to make an exception in the search engine for important 3 letter words, like BAT, MAP, SC4?

I have not a clue. That'll be a question for @Cyclone Boom.

RandyE and huzman like this

23 hours ago, RandyE said:

In that case is it possible to make an exception in the search engine for important 3 letter words, like BAT, MAP, SC4?

I can ask Dirk whether this is doable, but seem to recall the set defined limit exists based on the database structure (MySQL), used for the indexing. There certainly is a strong incentive here if it can be tweaked without ill effect. Since there are many common 3 character terms, also including the NAM and its countless acronyms. This may explain why the search generally performs so badly for common daily usage (Google being much more powerful).

In the meantime I've expanded the "0 Results" message to say the following:

There were no results found for your search. Please make sure you've searched 4 or more characters.

Alternatively, try broadening your criteria or choosing a different content area.

RandyE, CorinaMarie and huzman like this

6 minutes ago, Cool_Z said:

Btw... shouldn't we have a buildings section ? :???:

They go in the SimCity 3000 Files section. That's likely to be most of all the uploads anyhow.

huzman likes this

On 6/12/2017 at 11:00 AM, RandyE said:

Is there any possibility of having a sub-category under SC 3000 for maps, terrains and city files?  That is to distinguish these type of files from Maxis files and user-created buildings and landmarks.  

Yep. We've created a sub-category (Cities & Maps).  *:)

catty-cb, RandyE and huzman like this

42 minutes ago, CorinaMarie said:

Yep. We've created a sub-category (Cities & Maps).  *:)

I noticed it earlier today, and good choice, including both terms "Cities and Maps".   There's a lot of cities and maps uploaded now to fill out the subcategory.   Maybe Gog.com can donate some hard drives for the promo. :)  The small file size of the city files makes SC3U a more easily shareable game experience.  Even if buildings or landmarks are missing, the bright orange areas are easily to see and re-zone. 

8 hours ago, RandyE said:

Even if buildings or landmarks are missing, the bright orange areas are easily to see and re-zone. 

Interestingly with SimCity 4, this aspect takes a step backwards...

Spoiler

Then it took some nifty work from @Pegasus to restore it back to usefulness:

1aef7dc3160f5519a889a1ec38ca6a09-product

So SimCity 3000 had the right idea all along... *:yes:

huzman, CorinaMarie and RandyE like this