• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for July   06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
Dirktator

On supporting bitcoin donations...

Bitcoin donation method   72 members have voted

This poll is closed for new votes
  1. 1. Do you use bitcoin, and would you donate using that method?

• No, I do not use bitcoin at all.
    • Yes, I use bitcoin and might consider a donation.
    • Yes, I use bitcoin, but wouldn't use it to donate.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 posts in this topic

Over the past weeks, we've received several suggestions on expanding our donation methods. Some suggestions just aren't too viable for us, but several people have suggested bitcoins.

The question is, we're not sure how many of you guys use bitcoin who visit here and if you did, would it be something you would use to donate?

So we're tossing the question out to you.  Let us know if you have other suggestions. Thanks!

(This poll topic will close on May 9, 2017)

matias93 and huzman like this

I do not and would not use Bitcoin, would you as the receiver of funds have confidence in bitcoin?  Did you see what it did today?  $1,474.52 low to a $1,594.29 high to a current $1,499.84. That's in a single day, *:no:   stick with Paypal as the extra transaction for privacy.   

rsc204 and huzman like this

I agree...PayPal is best for me also. I've never even looked into bitcoin...ever. All I know of it is a few news headlines once in a while. 

I did have a thought about foreign players not having the same easy banking as those here in North America. Perhaps that's where the requests come from? I personally have never made a international purchase so I have no clue. 

huzman likes this

I've been trying to donate a few bucks here. I don't do Play Pal. Bitcoins ? the hell with that.
Why not normal credit cards ?

On 5/5/2017 at 8:20 PM, tigerbuilder said:

about foreign players not having the same easy banking

That's my point.

Even if this site isn't https, I kind of thrust you guys...

I don't think it's a bad idea. Paypal would still be my first choice though on the fact that I'd keep my coins while its value is rising :P. I'm on altcoins though. They've been rising as of late :D.

9 hours ago, huzman said:

I've been trying to donate a few bucks here. I don't do Play Pal. Bitcoins ? the hell with that.

That's my point.

Even if this site isn't https, I kind of thrust you guys...

You can still donate on PayPal without an account and use a credit/debit card. 

Even if we hosted payments on-site, there would still need to be a payment processor, which would only add cost - along with the HTTPS certificate, which I'm sure would add more cost. 

@huzman   yes as _Michael mentions for the site to start being able to collect money directly that would be more expensive and I believe also changes the site to one that is selling things which might give them copyright/legal troubles with EA the current owner of SC4. This is a free share site that can only accept donations not make transactions, simply put more Legal crap to deal with.  

As far as PayPal (and I don't like to promote things just share my experience for your info)  What basically happens with PayPal is that you are directing them to buy an item/make a donation and then you buy the item from them with your credit card so that the place selling the item does not have your credit card info. PayPal also offers an account and then you use it like a credit card/debit card, but that is not required and you are not required to get their credit card. You can make a one time single purchase of an item and pay it with a credit card, and then can go in and make another single one time purchase and can even use another credit card, you do not need to start an account using a specific card, just an email address.   

3 hours ago, _Michael said:

Can you ? How ? I really would like to contribute to this site. I've been trying to contribute for months, with no luck. Can you tell me how to that (without Play Pal) I would be very happy..

21 minutes ago, huzman said:

Can you ? How ? I really would like to contribute to this site. I've been trying to contribute for months, with no luck. Can you tell me how to that (without Play Pal) I would be very happy..

You still have to use PayPal - what I was saying is you can do it without an account there.

Spoiler

ldEQboK.png

7ypMQ6W.png

ptHSJMp.png

kWZKHmL.png

This does not need a PayPal account.

Think of it as buying on Amazon, with ST getting the money - PayPal just acts as the intermediary.

On 06/05/2017 at 8:27 AM, Zelgadis said:

Can't we just throw our panties at you like we just snuck into a rock concert? :)

How much are your panties worth against say the dollar? :D

13 hours ago, huzman said:

I believe use of PayPal allows you to pay with Credit/Debit cards. Taking such payments directly opens a huge can of worms. PayPal do take a fair percentage of payments, but it's also by far and away the easiest solution for most.

As for BitCoin, it always stuck me as a Ponzi scheme of sorts, I'm genuinely shocked it still exists. The number of folks who can make money from nothing, combined with the number of reports of exchanges tanking with everyone loosing them, makes me surprised people would use it frankly. I don't know the semantics, but I would be concerned too as to how we realise the monetary value of donations made in this way.

_Michael and huzman like this

2 minutes ago, rsc204 said:

I believe use of PayPal allows you to pay with Credit/Debit cards.

Yep. See the hidden contents of @_Michael's post above.

huzman and _Michael like this

I believe that option isn't available to everyone. Instead of Pay with Debit or Credit Card button I only have Create an Account.

5 minutes ago, JP Schriefer said:

I believe that option isn't available to everyone. Instead of Pay with Debit or Credit Card button I only have Create an Account.

My guess is it is region specific. Like I just went there and Pay with Debit or Credit Card is an option and I do not have a PayPal account.

12 minutes ago, JP Schriefer said:

5 minutes ago, CorinaMarie said:

My guess is it is region specific. Like I just went there and Pay with Debit or Credit Card is an option and I do not have a PayPal account.

I just tried again, and got the "Create and Account" option, but refreshed the page and the "Pay with Card" option was there. Kinda strange...

On being region specific, although possible, the list of nations on the form is certainly extensive (I noticed Brazil was one JP) and couldn't see many noticeable exceptions. There are lots of small territories on there also :P 

I tested this out in Firefox and interestingly received the "Create Account" option also, with no way to continue without logging in.

Then I tried on Chrome and to my surprise, up showed the payment card option. As the next step to eliminate the variables, I disabled my web element filters on FF (uBlock Origin & uMatrix), which allowed me to reach the same page as @_Michael showed above.

So here's at least one reason why it may or may not show. Or if it needed a refresh to work, perhaps the necessary scripts or cookies weren't loaded to allow the card option.

I think there are country specific variations with PayPal, as this test found previously using the old form. If not now (it may still be a factor), I'd suspect they'd become more apparent at the next stage with entering payment details.

My thoughts on Bitcoin...

I personally don't use it, and would prefer a more standardised method like the current PayPal. Really only since that's what I've been familiar and comfortable with using for online transactions.

However, provided that alternatives are viable and can be supported, I think it never hurts to present as many options as possible. Though with 92% opposed, the poll standing suggests there's clearly a very low demand to support this as a donation method in our community. The question then becomes whether there's enough potential reward to reap from catering to a more niche audience. Would the extra effort be low enough to justify this?

14 hours ago, _Michael said:

Michael, thank you very much for your time, concern and a great solution. Hope it motivates more people.

7 hours ago, Cyclone Boom said:

received the "Create Account" option also, with no way to continue without logging in.

Oh boy... Well, I'll try it with FF and if it fails, I'll download Chrome. No problem.

10 hours ago, huzman said:

Oh boy... Well, I'll try it with FF and if it fails, I'll download Chrome. No problem.

Opera might be a good alternative if you're not a fan of Chrome. It's a Chrome build without all the garbage. I've found that it works much better than Chrome overall.

AprilAero and huzman like this

1 hour ago, Zelgadis said:

Opera might be a good alternative

Thanks, but FF did the job without Play Pal, so its' good, even if cost me a few €$and all. But I'm glad to contribute to this site, even in a very small way. Watch me next month, I'll be richer by then and maybe I'll get some of those disks. Although I think I got most of them. What the hell, anyway to keep this site going is worth it.

Cheers, and keep funding ST !

Cyclone Boom and CorinaMarie like this