• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

May donation goal - nearly there! Please help us with a final push!   04/01/2017

We've had to spend on a few extra things for May but you guys have been great in helping us reach those goals! We're still just a bit shy,  if you can help out with a donation, it would mean a lot! And we'll send you a little gift in return.  Help us reach our May goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
Sparks44

'Prop it up' props

8 posts in this topic

I've been using the mod Prop it up recently to remove almost every prop. Because of the nature of the mod if you replace two props with the same prop, you can't go back to having two different props. You are left with just one. So to maintain peace of mind, I made 6 small sunken square props to use as a replace with nothing prop. As well as one for bench and decal. Would anyone find these useful? Even if the mod does eventually come out with a replace with nothing, I've already replaced all my stuff with these props, so I wouldn't use it. I had a problem when it first came out replacing something with a fountain or a fountain with something and it broke the building, I think. Possibly resubbing to that building may fix it, but I haven't tried yet. I would suggest not using any fountain with prop it up.

I've heard people saying it was causing problems too and that they had too unsub. I'm not sure if I should release them as the mod seems so unstable and I could cause people to go and break all their buildings. Is anyone experiencing problems too?

Judazzz and Lost_Gecko like this

Uhh, hell yes that would be useful!! Especially multiple copies of it so we can remove multiple props from a building, that would be amazing! My current method is using the YC prop but as you said this can really only be done once (or twice, this prop comes w 2 copies for some reason) per building. If I need to do more, I use the Prop Scaling mod to set the min and max scale of a prop to basically nothing, rendering it practically invisible -- of course, this gets applied to all instances of that prop in the game which may be undesirable.

In short, yes, those props would be great if you can upload them! :D

I forgot to say before sometimes I go to replace a prop and it decides to replace something else. Leaving the prop still visible but not in the list to replace. I haven't narrowed down what line of action causes this yet. Just another heads up you can be stuck with props.

I wonder if making a copy of the mod file would be useful as like a save. So when you break a building you can go back to what you had. Unless all the files update when you run the game with it (I don't know if I can be bothered to try this as I've already replaced my city). Anyways I will release them today. Also note the bench prop asset will have your sims sitting on thin air. You might want to place a bench nearby so they choose that one if it's an issue.

It seems you simply reload a save if you break a building and everything is back to normal. I also found it may be safer to open prop it up UI and replace one thing at a time, only clicking the correct things, then closing and reopening. Sometimes the list doesn't update with the correct category or is wrong.

Judazzz likes this

I too noticed that sometimes the mod is acting up a little in the way you described (like trying to replace a prop, only to see a different prop being replaced), but so far I haven't really seen any consistency in this, which makes it pretty tricky to put my finger on the exact issue. But I'm aware of it.

PS: all building replacements are non-persistent, which means they'll be applied on load and in real time, but the building itself is not affected. So as soon as you delete your config file (or just the entries that cause problems), everything should be back to normal again. So all those building tree/prop replacements should - in theory - never cause any lasting problems.
Only the global free-standing tree replacements remain in place if you delete your config, because they become permanent as soon as you save your city after you've made such replacements. It's not ideal, but nothing can be done about that unfortunately, because that's simply how the game works...

As far as the 'empty' prop approach, I suppose it works pretty well, but to be honest, it's not an ideal situation - it would be better to change the visibility or scale of the prop/tree. This is also still on the todo-list.

I can't tell when a new update of Prop it Up will be released, because I'm currently redoing American Roadsigns (I'm making all options available in-game, so all changes can be done in real-time, and as often as you like). Part of this also involves hiding props, so perhaps parts of the logic can in one form or another be re-used for hiding props in Prop it Up.

American Roadsigns 2.0 will be released in the near future (I still need to run some tests, do some checks, and make it work with Euro maps [for some reason the stuff that goes on during the loading process spazzes out when loading a Euro map - yet another of C:SL's logic quirks to content with :cry:]), most likely before the end of the month, after which I'll switch my attention to Prop it Up again.

Having said all this, I'd love to hear about your experiences with empty props!

Avanya likes this

Whoops, forgot about the back-up remarks. Every time you load your city, a back-up of the config will be made (in the same location, CSL_PropItUp.xml.bck), so if you really mess things up you can always revert back to that version. It only goes back one load, however: so if you mess up, and load your city again before reverting back to the back-up, the back-up will be overwritten with the messed up config). So it's really basic.

I like the sound of your idea of different config files between which you can swap freely (perhaps not in real-time [pretty heavy operation], but who knows...) So basically like the Preset system of Ultimate Eyecandy. This way you could keep configs for different themes, like desert, tropical and boreal without having to redo everything each time you play a differently themed city. Once Roadsigns is done, I'll see what possibilities there are in regard to multiple configs.

One last thing: I work in a similar way when customizing multiple props/trees of one asset: I replace one, then un-select the building by right-clicking somewhere, then re-select the asset, and replace the next prop or tree. Like I said before, the behavior is a bit erratic, and I haven't figured out why: sometimes I can replace a whole list of trees or props on the same asset in one go without having to un-select or close the panel, and sometimes things really act in strange ways. So it definitely needs some studying.

Thanks for your insights, Sparks - learning how people use my mods, what methods they employ and what snags they hit is valuable info, so it's much appreciated|!

Avanya likes this

I noticed the mod doesn't really like it if you replace the same tree (those on the map) several times in a row (I was trying to figure out a fitting replacement tree). At some point, it just refuses to do anything anymore until you reload the city. It also produced a string of error messages on load after a while. I unsubscribed from the mod to get rid of those. I guess getting rid of some configuration file would have done the same, but I didn't try.

Of course all of this is a just a small nuisance, compared to what the mod lets you do.

8 hours ago, Turjan said:

I noticed the mod doesn't really like it if you replace the same tree (those on the map) several times in a row (I was trying to figure out a fitting replacement tree). At some point, it just refuses to do anything anymore until you reload the city. It also produced a string of error messages on load after a while. I unsubscribed from the mod to get rid of those. I guess getting rid of some configuration file would have done the same, but I didn't try.

Of course all of this is a just a small nuisance, compared to what the mod lets you do.

Dis you get the string of error messages after using my new prop it up props? http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=918299028&searchtext=

I'm getting a string of array index error messages too.

@Sparks44 I haven't tried your props yet. I got the errors as a result of global tree replacements. I made the clean-up when they jumped from 6 I had to click away after starting the city to 9 after a while.