BugeyedDragon

SC4 crashes when simulation is started

2 posts in this topic Last Reply

When I play a certain city, the game sees to crash to desktop whenever it's on simulation in approximately 3-5 seconds, it's went one minute before but also still crashed. This city has had the simulation started on it before, however I keep the simulation off when I build new zones and such. I'm on windows 10, alienware. SimCity 4 Deluxe from Steam, and my oplugins folder is 8.06 gigs, if you need a copy of the city to troubleshoot then I'm willing to provide if what I have is not enough info

Is it only a single city that make the game crash? Can you start a new city without problems? Or a new region? Did the game run fine on a certain point? Did you put in new files recendly? If so, than it it most likely, that one (or two or three or more) files in your plugins are causing the problem. You need to clean out your plugins by performing a "Binary Search". Look here:

I had those problems, too, years ago, and let me tell you, there are a lot of faulty plugins out there. You need to find and remove them, there is no other way, if you want to play this game. I also recommend the use of the SC4 Tools like iLive's Reader and Rivits SC4DataNode tool, which you can find here:

And you mentioned, that you use the Steam version of SC4. I don't know anything about that version, it might cause problems. There are other specialits here, who know about specific problems with that version, if there are any. All I know, it uses DRM, and I hate that. There are digital DRM-free versions out there, like from GOG or Amazon.

So, first of all, I'd say, backup your plugins to a safe backup drive and start digging... That's going to be fun... I am in my fourth! year of digging and I never have any problems anymore... *:thumb: Let us know, how it goes, we'll be here!

Kind regards!