• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for July   06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
citycowboy

Is Our Profile History Gone Forever?

9 posts in this topic

Hi. I recently wanted to go through my old posts to double-check which processors don't work with the HD terrain mods, and noticed that all of my old posts and history was gone. Is this a new thing, or can this all be recovered somehow?

Thank you. 

Hiya.

I checked your content page, selected Posts and I see it goes back to a comment you made posted December 18, 2013 on Metra F40PH. Does it show that far back for you? And was that the first time you posted? There's a gap of 226 days between joining and that post. I checked my own content and it goes back to my very first post (which I recognize as being the first thing I ever said on ST.) So, if parts are missing then I'm guessing it's a random thing or that we've had other times when the board was re-indexing stuff and things would disappear temporarily. Like for a few days even.

Also, I'm going to move this to the Simtropolis Related forum. We do have a Bug Reporting thread there, but a separate topic is fine too.

Cyclone Boom likes this

Can't say I've ever needed to go back thru my profile history, but I just did and it only goes back to Feb 2008, as I finally joined the site after much lurking back in Apr 2007 and I'm pretty certain I must have been posting during that year it does look like stuff has gone, but given the site upgrades over the years its probably not surprising.

CorinaMarie and Cyclone Boom like this

2 hours ago, citycowboy said:

I recently wanted to go through my old posts to double-check which processors don't work with the HD terrain mods

Long and short, if you can use DirectX Hardware rendering, you can use HD mods. If you use OpenGL, it's unlikely HD mods will work, Software Rendering means no HD textures for you.

Of course, if you should try such a mod, you'll quickly know if it's OK, since the game will CTD upon opening a tile if your system doesn't support them.

Cyclone Boom likes this

8 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

As a side test I went to @A Nonny Moose's activity and on page 1828 found things he posted December 31, 1969. Now that shows true dedication to post on a site before it even existed. *:golly:

23:59:59 12-31-1969 is considered date 0 (zero) in any Unix system....called the epoch date.

Time is counted from the number of seconds since that date.  In other words, 1 is 00:00:00 01-01-1970.  Our current date is a very large number.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time

Note the Year 2038 problem is very real.  It is the time at which 32-bit Unix systems will no longer be able to track dates as the number of seconds sine Jan 1 1970 will exceed what a float can hold.  This is similar to the Y2K issue was and will happen long before then.  It's actually already becoming an issue as 30 year mortgages are currently impacted by the 2038 problem.  If you work somewhere with 32-Bit Unix still in production, you should be dealing with this now (by getting rid of the dinosaur).

When this shows up in a modern system, it usually means somebody didn't put a date into a table that requires it.  Unix uses the epoch date for this situation (where it should put a NULL but the data structure requires data).

ST probably has some bad data there.

Something to consider is the site's database was compromised in mid-2008 in what was known as the "hack attack". Since I wasn't around, I'm not familiar with the exact happenings, though I believe it was due to malicious code which propagated and caused all sorts of havoc at the time. As a result, it caused large quantities of site content to be truncated or malformed beyond repair, and any attempt of restoration must've failed. It was more a basis for damage limitation.

Although it's long been resolved, this explains why some users' post history (like Nonny's) doesn't date back as far as you'd expect. Or if there are any irregularities for older posts (like with the timestamps).

Then combined with the various site upgrades, there would've been potential for corruption in other areas. Conversion scripts are meant to take care of the data transition process from one framework to another. However, they only work without flaws when data is in the expected form. With the issues previously, such conversions may well have been disrupted, leading to further potential losses.

@citycowboy

As you've registered long after the known cases of data loss, this is highly unlikely to have affected your account (or anyone else's since).

Could it be either of these by chance?

(From your list of posted threads)

CorinaMarie and RobertLM78 like this

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:25 AM, rsc204 said:

If you use OpenGL, it's unlikely HD mods will work, Software Rendering means no HD textures for you.

I used OpenGL rendering for several years after I got my laptop back in 2014 and never had any issue with the HD mods I used.  I have integrated Intel graphics and DirectX rendering produced horrible graphics issues with the HD mods, and I never liked software rendering.  OpenGL worked for me perfectly.  Only recently was a new driver released by Intel were I could use DirectX rendering.

CorinaMarie likes this

On 4/20/2017 at 8:09 PM, Cyclone Boom said:

Something to consider is the site's database was compromised in mid-2008 in what was known as the "hack attack". Since I wasn't around, I'm not familiar with the exact happenings, though I believe it was due to malicious code which propagated and caused all sorts of havoc at the time. As a result, it caused large quantities of site content to be truncated or malformed beyond repair, and any attempt of restoration must've failed. It was more a basis for damage limitation.

I knew something like that must have happened, since some pages have ST links which are completely broken... or perhaps one of the upgrades @catty-cb mentioned changed link formats.   Either way, a lot of dead links out there to the STEX.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

•  
  • Similar Content

• By kim026
      Hello simtropolians.
      I would like help from an engineering point of view, applied to SC4 obviously.
      I am working on a very big project that involves some radical thinking... I make full use of SC4 and Mods, lots of mods, to create the largest city of a country set in the fictional world of a book I'm writing.
      Thing is... Because I fell in love with natural growth style of play, I started the city as a tribal settlement... some 800 years before the nowadays milestone. I faced many challenges and many more awaits me. But one in particular I can't get my head around not even searching the internet. Can you help?
      Here's the question:
      How can (if at all) I raise the level of a big canal from sunken to say a 8-10 metre elevation so that it's not sunken anymore?
      Here's the picture:

Bita Canal starts from Branny Bay Reservoir, less than a km South, where the Vidupe Aqueduct finally ends and brings its water supply. The Reservoir water level is carefully controlled so that water flows nicely to various locations in the area, with the use of a canal system which is still under development. The water level of the Reservoir can be raised as water supply is still abundant and the first portion of the canal system is sunken (an engineering decision also to deal with flooding). 
      Local developers need Bita Canal to proceed North to Fadalipe Citadel to bring water to the masses, but excavating a sunken canal right inside a densely populated area is advised against. Another proposal is the development of a network of sewers, but public opinion votes for an open canal to stream fresh water, and we can build that sewage for the waste water. Frankly, the Council agress with public opinion and we would much rather prefer a nice tight canal with fresh water that streams right past people's homes so that in future they can take that pleasing stroll by the canal and socialize. 
      So. If possible, how can developers elevate Bita sunken canal?
      If you have the straight answer to this engineering question then please post a reply. I would definetely appreciate the help and participation.
      In case you don't but you have some other idea, please post a reply too. I like ideas. If I can't use them straight away I put them in a labeled drawer for later use.
      For now, Fadalipe developers will push for a simple sunken canal that ends in a reservoir close to the city, so people can have access to new fresh water, as supply was running low. 
      There is also a poll for you to vote for, if you fancy. (I saw some CJers use it and I thought it would be fun to try) I will consider the result and find the best possible engineering solution to accommodate it.
      Thank you in advance 
      Let me know if this is the wrong section to post this. If needed I can post it somewhere else.

(You can find the City Journal here:)
      The Peace and Recovery post does contain some photos of the aqueducts and their projects. Maybe it can help ignite ideas.
      Thank you!
    • By huzman
      I've been trying to include a little banner in my signature, but I haven't found the road to it. Some suggestions would be very welcome.
      Also, how do I capture my avatar picture ? Like wise, "Some suggestions..."
      Tank you all.
    • By kschmidt
      Mayor pictural photovista of Budapest
    • By Fantozzi
      The still ongoing question 'how close were the nazis to have the atomic bomb' was answered a few years ago. They were ready in 1941. They knew how to get the material and they knew how to built it. The only thing they didn't had was a reactor to produce plutonium. But why didn't they built this reactor?

Nazis were always aware they never would have been able to produce charged uranium in an amount crucial for the war. This was their believe. So the atomic bomb wasn't really high on their priorities list. But in 1941 the so called 'uranium project' around Werner Heisenberg had discovered another fission product: plutonium. And they developed also a method without the need of uranium235 (charged uranium), the implosion driven chain reaction.
      According to Heisenbergs own memories, in 1942, he was asked by Albert Speer (minister of armaments industry) how long it would take to make an 'uranium bomb' (the nazi-german atom bomb project was called 'uranium project' and therefore the familiar name by this time was 'uranium bomb' instead of 'atomic bomb'). He answered, about 3 years, concealing that they were ready to built a plutonium only bomb. (Well, he even didn't lie). That was the point, according to Heisenberg, Nazi leaders lost interest on the 'uranium project'.
      Until 2007 there was no proof for this testimony given in 1952. By then in an archive in Moscov was discovered a patent application from Carl Friedrich von Weizsäcker, written in 1941. Weizsäcker by this time was a member of Heisenbergs research team on the 'uranium bomb'. Weizsäcker died in 2007 and therefore a biographer who wanted to write about him, made this discovery. This patent application describes exactly the plutonic bomb. As this application seems never to have been handed over to nazi authorities - it seems true what Heisenberg wrote later. They were ready to built it since 1941 but they didn't tell it to authorities and therefore no fission reactor was built to produce the necessary plutonium.
      But then - this are really strange coincidences.
      As till summer 1941 the manhatten project didn't made any great progress by searching how to get the process stable to split uranium 235 from uranium ore. Then suddenly they discovered how they could split plutonium from the uranium and they developed the idear of an implosion based bomb (the principle later leaded to the two-stage-reaction of the hydrogen bomb), all at the same time. And in 1942 they had in Chicago the world wide first reactor ready to produce plutonium. And it is the next strange coincidence that the russians shortly after the end of ww2 made the same progress, so that Edward Teller and Andrei Sakholov had both the exactly same concept for a nuclear fusion based weapon ready at the same time, in 1948.
      And the world wide first nuclear bomb, the trinity test bomb, was a plutonium only bomb with the principle of an implosion bomb - exactly as described by Weizsäcker in 1941 in his unpublished patent application.
      The bomb on Hiroshima, 1945, was a complete different technology than the bomb in the trinity test. The Hiroshima bomb was build in a more 'old fashioned' way, not to compress the material, but to unite materials (plutonium and uranium235) to reach critical mass.
      Apart from plutonium and uranium 235 there are roundabout 200 other fission products you can get by shooting neutrinos on an uranium core.
      Don't want to go for a conspiration theory - but it's strange that they went for the same combination of fission product and technique to cause a chain reaction, as there are quite many possible combinations to realize a nuclear bomb.
      Well, it's know Weizsäcker and Heisenberg met Niels Bohr - guess when - 1941 in Copenhagen. And until today this meeting is a big enigma to historians - what was the reason? What did they talk about? Heisenberg later explained, he wanted to convince Bohr, that the germans weren't able to built the bomb and therefore americans should stop researches too. But it's also known that Bohr remained deeply shocked by what they told him. And his memories are completely different. Until his death Weizsäcker was asked about that meeting and Weizsäcker always said "Bohr missunderstood us completely". Well, maybe not? Maybe thats the key to this enigma? Maybe they told him about the possibility to built a plutonium based implosion bomb. And Bohr recognized the possibility and told Teller. And Teller ... well the rest of the story is known.

• By SteveMSim
      The Guardian website has been running a series of articles about the history of cities, urbanization, and urban planning for a couple of months.  Each article is about a particular city in the world during a particular period of history and how certain events in that period impacted that city.  The articles cover a number of cities from ancient Alexandria to the planned cities of the 20th and 21st Centuries.  The series is 50 articles long and is currently up to number 34.
      The series is at http://www.theguardian.com/cities/series/the-story-of-cities