• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for July   06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
Arnold J. Rimmer

Project Prague - European historical city by AJR

18 posts in this topic

logo_projectPrague.thumb.png.f7ae3e3c4740fed98494bd2967ce98bc.png

Hello everbody,

Project started: 08.04.2017

Project ended: (estimate: 1 year)

Mod list: in progress

Asset list: in progress

//Dont have experience with video making, dont have any program yet. Also my style is different to others. Once I finish some part, sometimes I destroy whole area and start with better sense. If anyone can help me with some newbie tricks to video making, I much appreciate!!//

Few days ago, after I reached 1600 played hrs in this game I decided make something, whats close to me (i think its bad sentence, still best what i can do :X). 

I was thinking how decrease workshop items, especially buildings. I wanted massively use vanilla european buildings, so there wasnt much to think about.

Plan: (every Sunday I am updating stuff)

My plan isnt build Prague in 1:1. Anyway it is impossible yet. But I want build some well-known places at its own positions to create similar shape of city. In final phase I want have over 250k people at maximum! I am big detailer, so building blocks/districts take much time for me (I am too thinking about every prop I place)

Currently stage: Placing rails

First step:

is create river Vltava.

Shipping canal Podbaba (you can see on screen below)

Change terrain heights to right ones, build around coasts.

Create rail system (its is huge, huge system which I am looking forward!)

Find the way how to build Prague Castle.

Prague - few interesting facts:

Prague Castle is listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the largest castle in the world (70 000 m² is equivalent to 17,297 acre or 0,027 mile²)

Charles Square is one of the largest squares in the world and was the largest town square of the medieval Europe. It used to be called "The Big Marketplace" (Tržiště velké) or „Cattle Market" (Dobytčí trh)

The most famous square is certainly the Wenceslas Square, formerly known as Horse Market (Koňský trh). It was renamed Saint Wenceslas square (Svatováclavské náměstí) in 1848 on the proposal of Karel Havlíček Borovský.

The Prague pneumatic post is the world's last preserved municipal pneumatic post system It is an underground system of metal tubes under the wider centre of Prague, totaling about 55 kilometres in length. It crosses the river Vltava three times.

You can visit the Astronomical Clock not only in Prague but even thousand miles away - in Seoul. The replica was built in a popular district Hongda and works as a restaurant and exhibition centre.

Prague Subway (metro) comprises three lines, serving 57 stations, and consists of a transit network 59,3 km (= 35.7 mi.) long. The shortest distance is between Hlavní nádraží (Main Train Station) and Muzeum (425 m = 0,26 mi.), the longest distance is between Nádraží Holešovice (Holešovice Train Station) and Kobylisy (2748 m = 1708 mi.)

Vršovice is a less well-known district of Prague but in the last century there was one of the world largest amusement park - the Eden Pleasure Gardens with roller coaster, helter-skelter or just boating. Now Tesco and the Slavia football stadium stand here. (Slavia Praha is my most favourite football team)

And finally some first tastings:

cdtvoym6lary.jpg

3g93v8kn2csy.jpg

6hyk7yohfgsy.jpg

Posted (edited)

Glad to see you got your hard light drive working and can interact with a mouse and keyboard! Good work!

PS

If you use a PC, my favourite video editing program is Sony Vegas. I assume most youtubers who talk about using the 'pro' version have stolen it somehow since it costs almost $1000 for a licence. Fine if you have millions of subscribers, but most do not.

There is a very reasonable 'studio' version of Vegas available which will be good for most editing work you will need to do to make a nice video, and that is around $€£50 from memory. 

Honestly the best thing for specific tips any program is to just find a youtube video of someone doing what you need, copy them and make some small changes to values that you understand (if you are a novice there will be plenty that you do not understand) to see the effects, I found i could make quite flashy videos with a few basics copied from the internet

PPS: I don't work for Sony

Edited by MissVanleider

Smoke me a kipper, i'll be back to edit
Arnold J. Rimmer likes this

I started with Vegas but have since moved to Adobe Premiere Pro.  It's a little annoying to pay monthly, but I like the integration with all the other Adobe products I use (Photoshop, Audition, Illustrator, After Effects).  That said I didn't actually ever have a problem with Vegas.

I'd agree the best thing to do is really just find tutorials on YT.  I don't know about Vegas but the Premiere website actually has some pretty good video and text tutorials as well.  I think the hardest thing to figure out is the actual rendering settings (bitrate etc.).  There are a few resources for that but a lot of it will be tweaking things and finding what you like best.  If you have specific questions feel free to ask me (here or PM) and I'll help you out.

Update Shipping canal Podbaba

After some time, again, I changed this canal entrance. I deleted vanilla canals and made them by myself (asset from RonyX69). Had to change shape of left gate because behind it is vanilla quay to block major water (some water go throw, but its nice).

Left chamber is closed due to maintenance.

20170420170723_1.jpg

20170420170737_1.jpg

20170420170745_1.jpg

20170420170803_1.jpg

20170420170818_1.jpg

20170420171037_1.jpg

2 minutes ago, Skibitth said:

Big THUMBS UP!! This is purely amazing mate!

Thanks much man! Spent really much time on it. Now finally another chapter. :-)

Skibitth likes this

Prague is one of my favorite European cities I've visited, it will be very interesting to see in C:SL.

As a person who has tried to recreate a real city with significant terrain variation, I would stress that you get that out of the way as soon as you can or you be spending a significant portion of your time changing road nodes to appropriate heights.

Anyhow, the detailing so far is great.

Arnold J. Rimmer likes this

18 minutes ago, Roadman20 said:

Prague is one of my favorite European cities I've visited, it will be very interesting to see in C:SL.

As a person who has tried to recreate a real city with significant terrain variation, I would stress that you get that out of the way as soon as you can or you be spending a significant portion of your time changing road nodes to appropriate heights.

Anyhow, the detailing so far is great.

I checked Google Earth Pro and there I am able get some informations about height. Most city is builded in easy editable terrain height. For example Prague castle is 60 metres above river, which will be most difficult. But I agree thats most important that in future I can save much time. My priority at the moment is create some tunnels, before i change height (can avoid crazy road slopes). Then I can start with highways. There are not so many kms in this square.

What I am thinking is what will be around "main" city. 

Most main roads are placed, most rails are placed. (Now have 5800 network limits, and its not bad. For metro I plan use cca 6000 and it is really long! For highway 4000 and still have half limits to detail whole city... we  see what happens)

P.S. This wont be 1:1 version of Prague. Just I do what is in my best and what the game limits allow...