• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for June & July   06/20/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
fleuryfury

Different IND Sidewalk textures?

12 posts in this topic

Hello again all!

So I was wondering if it is possible to have my commercial and residential zones use 1 type of sidewalk texture and my industrial areas use another. Im using the Gobias sidewalk mod now, but would like to use 2 of his textures as mentioned.

The main mods I have that would warrant any notice are:

* NAM

* CAM

* Gobias Sidewalk Mod

* Gobias Sudden Valley Terrain Mod

* MGB Sidewalk NAM Public Repository <<<<<<Amazing by the way!!

And im still switching back and fourth between the 2 last ones to see what differences there are......

* Terrain Grass NAM (TGN) For Gobias Sudden Valley (Unified Wealth)

* No Grass NAM (NGN) For Gobias Sudden Valley

CT14 likes this

The sidewalk texture is the same across a city and only changes due to wealth. I suppose you could set all your industrial buildings to be a different wealth to everything else and manipulate the sidewalk that way, although this would be a complex and very time-consuming process, one which I'm not sure is entirely possible.

In short, I don't think it's possible, although I'm waiting to be proved wrong. :P 

MissVanleider and rsc204 like this

47 minutes ago, _Michael said:

The sidewalk texture is the same across a city and only changes due to wealth.

Dang, I had a feeling that's what it was. Ive always used some sort of grey textured sidewalk and never really noticed the difference between zones, but ever since I switched to a more red/brown cobblestone it stands out like a sore thumb in industrial areas. Mainly dirty that is.

I'd say that such a thing is probably remotely possible like @_Michael says, but i imagine that there are too many headaches to make doing it worthwhile. I liked the gobias sidewalks too, but agree that they look a bit too 'busy' (fancy?) for some areas. In the end i went for a custom texture that looks a bit more neutral.

Personally i would stick with the TGN rather than the no grass NAM by the way, suburbs look much more natural with the grass version, and you can usually force the game to zone solid sidewalks with the 'impossible zoning' trick

rsc204 likes this

4 minutes ago, MissVanleider said:

'impossible zoning' trick

Please educate me on this : )

Posted (edited)

When you hold ctrl to force the game to zone a particular size of zone, you can exploit this by dragging the 'zone' over the road so the zone is impossible (i.e you cant zone a fixed sized lot with a road running through it). However if you used medium or high density commercial for example, the sidewalk will still show up when you release the mouse button even though there is no real zone there

Edit

Added link

If you look at this thread there is an example of the trick with a picture in one of the last posts

//edit

Edited by MissVanleider

Linkified
nos.17, matias93, CT14 and 1 other like this

That's a neat trick, @MissVanleider.

I use dirt or gravel SAM for industrial areas where I don't want a sidewalk.

@rsc204 has put up some teasers of an industrial SAM street with wide lanes... that's what I'm waiting for.

rsc204 likes this

4 hours ago, fleuryfury said:

So I was wondering if it is possible to have my commercial and residential zones use 1 type of sidewalk texture and my industrial areas use another.

It's only possible to use one sidewalk mod at a time, the game simply can't support more than one, at least without some form of trick...

1 hour ago, _Michael said:

The sidewalk texture is the same across a city and only changes due to wealth. I suppose you could set all your industrial buildings to be a different wealth to everything else and manipulate the sidewalk that way

That wouldn't really work, because the game only has 3 wealths. The real problem is that it's next to impossible to dictate the wealth of anything that grows. The short answer is that this would be next to impossible to implement without causing undesirable effects.

What I used was a special set of SAM textures that never show sidewalks, but instead matches the Industrial Concrete used on many Ind lots to blend in better. I've done this by forcing the new concrete sidewalks into the area usually used by sidewalks. This I've called the IndustrieSAM mod:

A preview is available over on SC4D, although the mod itself is finished, it will be appearing as the 11th SAM network in the next version of NAM. Since new networks require code that's hard to distribute outside of NAM releases to work.

4 hours ago, fleuryfury said:

And im still switching back and fourth between the 2 last ones to see what differences there are......

* Terrain Grass NAM (TGN) For Gobias Sudden Valley (Unified Wealth)

* No Grass NAM (NGN) For Gobias Sudden Valley

TGN and NGN are both built from exactly the same repository. In short I've taken every texture with Grass, for TGN I've replaced them with terrain matching grass. Whereas for NGN, I've replaced the grass areas so that sidewalks appear instead of grass. You can mix and match any of the files from the two mods. But if you duplicate using the same file for both, then whichever loads last will determine what you see.

1 hour ago, MissVanleider said:

When you hold ctrl to force the game to zone a particular size of zone, you can exploit this by dragging the 'zone' over the road so the zone is impossible (i.e you cant zone a fixed sized lot with a road running through it). However if you used medium or high density commercial for example, the sidewalk will still show up when you release the mouse button even though there is no real zone there

NICE!!!!!!

@rsc204 You said a version of it is available at SC4, but im having trouble finding it? I noticed your name isn't in the author category either? That MOD is exactly what im looking for....In fact, its better than what I originally thought I wanted!

The latest version of that is attached to this post, it's not on the exchanges. Because of the need for additional code, the preview overrides the SAM 10 mod and is intended just to show what you can expect from the final version. So any areas made with it will need to be updated to SAM 11 (which doesn't exist yet) when NAM 36 is released.

matias93 and Yarahi like this