• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for July   06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
TekindusT

What do the stars under our usernames mean?

6 posts in this topic

I was just taking a look to the Milestone thread and realized I have no idea what those stars under our usernames and ranks in the forums mean. Sure they have a logic behind but it's a bit difficult to see for me, except that the users with most posts have their first star inside a shield or inside a banner...? But why some users with less posts have 5 stars and others have only 1 but the first one is shielded... ? Are they tied to our post count? You get it. Any Simtropolite ready to shed some light on this matter for me?

mrsmartman likes this

I'm not sure about it, but I believe it's related only with the number of posts and the different shields are like levels. For example, until a certain number of posts there are no shields, only stars. When the user surpasses the posts limit number for 5 stars the first shield is added with only 1 star. The same thing will happen until the user reaches the next limit for that shield. So when the member has only 1 star, but has more posts than a 5 star member, he/she probably has a higher shield level.

@JP Schriefer Yeah, more or less that I could deduct after writing my post (when I really started thinking hard about it and looking at people's stars), but for example... it looks like at some point the stars which are "blank" inside, like yours, become at some point "full" like mine...*:???:.

JP Schriefer, mrsmartman and korver like this

I can confirm @JP Schriefer's observation is spot on. *:yes:

They're ranks tied to your content count (posts + other site items). As this increases, you'll reach levels which provides:

1. A new custom user title (e.g. "Resident" to "Foot Soldier").
  2. At certain levels, a new accompanying rank image.

Reputation is not a factor here, as that uses a separate rank system.

These images essentially contain a maximum of 5 slots featuring stars or shields. Each subsequent rank will add a new star, until you receive the 'upgraded' style. In theory, they are supposed to increase in grandeur the higher you reach.

The rank earned by @A Nonny Moose is the highest active, and was specially made gold in tribute:  pip_a_31_5222a.png.45aa0f4605099d8a69459