• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Need your donations for May & June!   05/01/2017

We need your support to help keep Simtropolis online. We also need a little bit more this month to enhance the new chat with some features, such as mobile support! Please consider a donation today if you can help out, it would mean a lot! And we'll send you a little gift in return.  Help us reach our May goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
    • Dirktator

About our affiliation with GOG.com   05/23/2017

Simtropolis is now an affiliate of GOG.com! When you use one of our affiliate links to GOG.com, all it means is that Simtropolis has a chance to earn a small commission from any purchases you might make. So if you see something that tickles your fancy, please use our affiliate links and by doing so, you'll help support Simtropolis! Thanks!
v701

New graphic card, C:S worked better before...

39 posts in this topic

Ok guys, I have two bad news and a good one.

The good one is that I got back my computer and it seems to work good now, apparently it was a software problem coming from bad installations which created problem for windows and crashed. Or something like this... Anyway the assistance guy just uninstalled and reinstalled all the important things after saving my data.

Concerning the bad news, the first one is that it cost me 275€ (Luxembourg prices... :()

The second one is that C:S works even worse than before, so that there is definitely something wrong somewhere.

I hesitate to call the assistance person again and tell him I have now a problem when playing but it will cost me again a lot of money...

Anyway that's the news I have for today, maybe more later !

See you guys !

*:ducky:

It's actually even slow when all mods and assets are disabled, which is weird...

Did he give you some kind of documentation of his diagnosis and steps he took?

Nope, nothing at all. But I'm gonna recontact him next week about this problem, supposedly he knows good about games.

So I will see next week how does it go..

Okay, I figured out this week-end that only 1 out of the 4 cores of the processor was activated, which explains the bad performances of the game...

So this is fixed. Now I'm just trying to figure out why I can't open anymore my cities since yesterday  when I downloaded only few assets more. Two appeared to be broken and I took them out, but maybe a mod has been updated or is creating a problem at some point. Gonna keep investigating about this... Such a waste of time considering it easily takes 10min to load a map !!   :zzz:

I also did the performance test through Windows PowerShell, and here is what I got:

CPUScore              : 7,8
D3DScore              : 9,9
DiskScore             : 7,3
GraphicsScore         : 8,6
MemoryScore           : 7,8

The CPU seems indeed at the limit for the usage I have of C:S. I don't understand why the DiskScore and MemoryScore are that "low", probably my SSD (200GO) being the disk on which windows is installed has something to do with it.

Anyway, now on things are pretty back like they were, my CPU is still not enough, my RAM very just and the game capricious with all the mods and assets !!

*:ducky:

Have you got System Restore set up? Did you make a Windows Recovery disk? With these two tools you can get your system back in working order automatically. Not a lot of help now, but if you run into such problems, stop a moment and ask before going to a shop. 225€ was probably a labour charge, but in essence they probably used System restore to revert the machine to an earlier state. I.e. clicked a few buttons and left it to run.

In any case, type "create windows recovery usb" into google for instructions on how to make sure you have this handy tool. If you have original Windows disks, then you can use them. Alternatively if you prefer you can burn them to a CD/DVD.

For system restore, know that it's on by default in Windows. So unless you disabled it manually, you should be protected. Newer versions of Windows are so easy to fix when they go wrong, I've not had to do a reinstall since I built my last system 4 years ago. Of course you need to know what the tools are, but there are a lot of user friendly ones for solving most common problems.

v701 likes this

I haven't saved it yet, I'm gonna make one recovery disk in case of any new problem, on a USB i guess, because i got Windows 10 for free when they released it so no CD.

Most computers don't have a windows disk, it's on the HDD if you need to recover it. That's fine until you have a hard drive failure and you need to re-buy Windows! However, all such PCs will ask you to make a recovery disk as the first thing to do with your new computer, it's very important to have one, especially if you don't have the Windows disk.

On that note, the last machine I bought without the Windows disks, an IBM ThinkPad with a 20GB HDD. 5GB of that was reserved for the XP software. Hell with that, I called up IBM, "oh noes, my HDD suffered some corruption, I had to wipe the partitions to recover it, now I need to install Windows". Under warranty, they'll send you the disks free, because otherwise, they have to fix your computer. Of course it wasn't corrupted, but it got me what I wanted, the Windows install media that should have come with it in the first place.

Windows 10 shouldn't be a problem though, MS now link the O/S to your user account and hardware. So when you come to re-install it, it will know you have a licence. Of course, build a new PC from parts and you'll be buying a copy, because that licence won't likely be transferable. It seems full licences are, but OEM licences are not, a motherboard change is enough to kill your licence for Windows:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/can-i-transfer-windows-10-to-another-computer/3704e5b9-0a43-4d29-9492-0792181a8a44

Ryno917 likes this

Damn I didn't know this about "killing" the windows license by changing the motherboard... 

As for the HDD I got pretty lucky 2 months ago because windows is installed on my SSD, and my HDD just suddenly died... 

I still have time before changing my motherboard anyway so I'll see how can I do then for windows...

Thanks for the infos!