• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for June & July   06/20/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
neslein

Larger Hospital and Elementary School

16 posts in this topic

Hello all.

First at all,-I´m not new to sc4,I have played it since 2004,but I hav´nt played for some years.

I have played allmost all the new City builders,but SimCity 4 is the only real "build a city" game for me :),-because(and many other reasons) so far I hav´nt reached more than 650.000 population,in a single city,and that was with the latest NAM installed.

I have SimCity 4,-the very first and original on a disc,-but unfortunately I can´t play it on modern computers,so digital SC4 Deluxe it is.

No problem in that,-other than ALL the problems you all know about,-It´s simply unplayable without Mods.

And mods is what this thread is about.If I had the knowlegde to customize a Hospital,or any other buildings for my use, by using the Lot Editor and iLive Reader I wouldn´t make this post,but I simply can´t figure out how to use these great tools.(58 yeays old,and never had an I pad,-or what ever the name are....;))

So here is my little pray for you Modders.

I would really like a Hospital and an Elementary School with a capacity of 9-10.000,and  with 3 times the cost for both the ambulance and daily running.

Nothing ells must be changed.Just a lot that act as 3 Hospitals or Schools

I know there´s a load of those costum Civic both here and Devotion,but I hav´nt found anything that fit my "style".

Can YOU do this for me?please?

You wouldn't need Lot Editor to do something like this for your self, only Reader.  To loosely paraphrase Maimonides' famous quote "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.":  'Give a man a modded building, and he has a modded building; teach a man how to mod a building, and his horizons are endless.'

This is something that we can easily give you a crash introductory course on (we're talking a small handful of settings on two buildings), so that you can mod the building(s) of your choice, rather than settling for whatever somebody else might decide to give you!  The knowledge gained could be used to start modding just about anything.  Are you game?

Nice reply,-I like that ;=).However I really don´t think you "can easily" teach me using the Reader.

I have downloadet it,-in different version (1.4) now,but whatever version I use-when I open it,the first message I get are this:

"Failed to open C:/Program Files (x86)/Origin Games/Sim City 4 Deluxe Editon/English (US)/Sim CityLocale.DAT"

--(I can´t even do this / correct on my keyboard...lol)

Then when I click ok,the program open with this message:

"No Reader.ini detected.You need to setup the Reader for optimal performance"

So allready just by open the program,I have no idea what happend and what to do.

Am I game?

Absolutely,and if you can teach me using this "easy" thing,you´ve got yourself a friend for life

OK, first thing I need you to do so we're on the same sheet of music is to uninstall the old version of Reader, then download and install the latest version of Reader (1.54) which is found here:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/7g06tdc313xmkxx/Ilives Reader_v154_Release.zip?dl=0 

Let me know if you run into any installation problems.

I see that you are using the Origin download version.  I know that some file locations for digital versions are different than they are for CD versions, so we may need to work through that.  That is likely the cause of the errors you mentioned

Also, what version of Windows are you using?

Posted (edited)

Win 10 x64

Well.Now I have installed the Reader from your link,and also the Visual C++ 2010 (only possible after deleting all other versions of Visual´s...)

Now,I also have SC4 Deluxe on Steam,so I decided to remove Origin from my PC,and instead install SC4 from Steam,but still it tells me this:

58d2478f94376_Skrmbillede(2).png.d45c6e9f25e2a7028c7b0b391776cdf4.png

I know it´s  the version (sc4) from Steam now,because it´s on danish(my language),and the Origin version are on english,so I have no idea why it still says /Origin Games...

When I click "ok" on that screen,Reader open with this screen:

58d2490cd4468_Skrmbillede(1).png.7fccae017c3a87a0d6a84c26d9f41090.png

I don´t get the message about:

"No Reader.ini detected.You need to setup the Reader for optimal performance"

and as you can see,-the Reader seems to be ready,but I don´t know if it "looks right".

-many things are greyed out..

So far,so good (or bad?)

Edited by neslein

typo.Edit 2-added info

I haven't "experienced" Win 10 yet, so we'll have to play that part by ear

It does look right.  It's usual to have most thing greyed out, because you don't have any files open to run those commands on.

Although it's not necessary for the purposes of this "lesson" (Reader will work perfectly fine with out knowing where SimCityLocale.dat is), I suspect you will probably get annoyed if you keep getting that first pop-up every time you open Reader, so let's try and find that file first.

So, open File Explorer, click on your C: drive, type SimCityLocale.dat into the search window and hit enter.  This should find that file any place it is located on your C: drive.  Make note of that location, or better copy the location to notepad or whatever goes for a text editor in Windows 10.

Once you have the location jotted down or copied, Open Reader if you don't already have it open, click on the Reader icon (all the way to the left at the top of the page).  This opens a menu.   All the way to the bottom of the menu, next to the Exit button, click on Options.  Make sure Option is highlighted in the left pane.  You can keep all default settings for now.  the one we are going to change is the first option with an address box: SimCityLacale.dat file.  You can do a couple of things here: a)if you copy /pasted the location to notepad, delete the location that's currently in the box, copy the true location from notepad and paste in the box; b) if you just jotted down the location, you can type it in (although there is room for error here; or c) click the browse button (open folder icon) (you will initially be taken to the wrong location - i.e. the location that was previously typed in the box), browse to the location you either jotted down or copied, highlight SimCityLocale.dat in the right pane, and click on open at the bottom of the browse window.

This fixes the SimCityLocale.dat issue.

OK next lesson, we will actually be changing the values for those properties that interest you.  Although any school/hospital will work, pick one of each that you want to operate on.  Custom content would be best for several reasons we don't need to go into right now, but ease of finding the necessary exemplars is the primary reason.

All for now, work beckons!

Cheers, Tim

Posted (edited)

I love you :))-even you forgot to tell me also changes the SimCity folder (no 2 option,but how could you know it also saied Origin)hehhh..

58d2b09963262_Skrmbillede(3).png.168a7b375b5cf111190c02ad831be25f.png

Now Reader open as intended.Bravo.

Can´t wait till next lesson.You´r a good friend:)

In the meantime,I´ll use a little time in the "Donate" option in top of this site.

CU.Kim

Edited by neslein

Added picture

OK, break from work, so we can carry on.

First lets look at the anatomy of a download.  If you're familiar with this part, you can just skip it.

The four basic game file types you will see are .SC4Lot, .SC4Desc, .SC4Model, and .dat
The SC4Lot file will always contain the Lot exemplar, but may also contain the Building exemplar depending on the type of lot
The SC4Desc file may be either a Building exemplar or a Prop exemplar.
The SC4Model file contains all the model and texture files.
A .dat file may contain any combination of the above.

Each type of file may contain a number of "sub-files" of types:  Exemplar, PNG, DIR, XML, LD, FSH, S3D, LTEXT, and more.  The actual contents will vary from file to file.  There may be multiples of each type.

Now let's get back to what concerns you.  Before you open and change any files, alway have a backup.

Open up Reader, click the Open File icon at the top of your page, browse to one of the files you want to operate on (It doesn't matter which at this point), and open the .SC4Lot file.  If the file you chose only has a .dat file, open that.  Since the properties you're interested in a very similar, I'll talk about both hospitals and schools at the same time. You will get a window that has two panes.  It's usually best to just maximize the window so you can see most everything.

One word of "warning" here:  All values in Reader are in hex.  The good news is that there are a couple of easy ways to convert back and forth between hex and decimal:  a) Use one of the many hex - decimal converters available online; b) Use the built-in Windows calculator changed to Programmer mode.  Let me know if you need tips for using the Windows Calculator.

In the left pane you will see a list of all the sub-files that are included in the SC4Lot file.  Once you click on one of these sub-files, you will see the contents of that sub file on the right.  Right now, we are interested in the Exemplar sub files.  You will probably see two, but with no idea what they are.  There is sometimes a way to tell by looking at the Group ID, but for now, just open each until you find the Building Exemplar (the Exemplar Type property will say Buildings).

The two columns that interest us are Name (of the property) and Value.  You will see that some properties will be showing decimal numbers rather than hex.  Don't ask me why the Maxis developers did this.  It is what it is! 

The properties that determine capacity are: School Student Capacity for a school and Hospital Patient Capacity for a hospital. The values are of course in hex (hex numbers will always look something like this - 0x000002EE; when using a converter, you only need to input the portion after the x).

Once you've determined what you want the capacity to be and converted it to hex, double click the property, and a window will open where you can change the value.  You can enter in the new value in one of two forms:  the full hex number (0x000002EE), or an abbreviated hex number (0x2EE).  Note that the converter you use may only show you the relevant digits (2EE), so the easiest way to input the number is to just use the abbreviated hex number (0x is always needed in Reader to denote a hex number).  Once the new value is entered, tab down so that the Values as text window matches the value you just entered, then click Apply.

The property to determine monthly costs is the same for both a hospital or school - Budget Item:  Cost.  This property is almost always the last property in the list.  You will notice that it includes two values: the first is monthly "maintenance" costs, and the second is either bussing or ambulance costs.  You will change these using the same process used for changing the capacity values.  You will notice that the hex numbers here are longer than those used for the capacity values.  This is based on Data Type:  UINT32 uses 0x plus 8 digits; SINT64 uses 0x plus 16 digits. 

Once you  have changed the values you want to change, click the save icon to save the file.  IMPORTANT NOTE:  If you save a file more than once each session that file is open, you run the risk of corrupting PNG and LTEXT sub-files.  If PNG files are corrupted, the lot icon will not show in the game menu, and it could cause the game to freeze/crash.

jeffryfisher likes this

O my God.

I really appreciate you take your time to teach me using this Reader,or in your own word,-how to catch a fish.But I feel like a marsian who have never seen water in hes life.

The first part about .SC4Lot, .SC4Desc, .SC4Model, and .dat,well I know very little.I know a hole lot more about the SC4 Mapper and bit files,but thats another story.

I have tryed to follow your instructions,and have "open file",and that gives me this:

58d30f607ba31_Skrmbillede(4).png.570570ed5d36dc56f8600916ce8ea3a9.png

Then you tells me to open the .SC4Lot file,but I don´t know where to find that one.

It´s very late here now,and my brain stopped working by reading your last post :)).I won´t say to give it up yet,but perhaps take some smaller steps...

OK, no problems.  Like I said we'll need to work through a few differences between Windows 10 and Windows 7, which is what I have.  I'm making an assumption that you have already downloaded some custom content from either the STEX here or the LEX over at SC4 Devotion.

Some more SC 4 basics:  You should have two Plugins folders, one where your game is installed (which is what your are showing) (hereafter referred to as Installation Folder\Plugins), and one in your My Documents folder (or whatever goes for My Documents in Windows 10 - I think it's Dokumenter under Denne PC in your screen shot) (hereafter referred to as Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins) (this folder should have been created automatically when you installed the game).

Installation\Plugins folder should not contain any custom content other than certain mods that are .dll files.  All other custom content that you download should be placed in Document\SimCity 4\Plugins or will get placed there by an installer if one is provided.  If any custom content (other than DLLs) have ended up in \Installation Folder\Plugins, we need to move it at some point.

Likewise, you should have two Regions folders:  Installation Folder\Regions (which contains all default Maxis Regions), and Documents\SimCity 4\Regions (which is where any custom regions should get placed).

Please let me know if you don't have any custom content yet.  This will mean we need to operate on Maxis files, which can be a somewhat more complicated subject., or we  need to download some custom content.  Most Custom Content creators give installation instructions for their content similar to this:  "To install copy and paste the <download title> folder into your User\Documents \SimCity 4\Plugins folder." or something similar.  Some tell you nothing.  Some will still tell you place their content in Installation Folder\Plugins.

Will the game still work if everything is in Installation Folder\Plugins?  Yes, although it is not considered a best practice.  Plus every download that includes an installer will place content in Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins.  Pretty soon you have custom content all over your hard drive, making it difficult to find things.

Posted (edited)

I don´t think there are any differents in how the different versions of Windows handle the game other than you can´t play the disc version on Win 10,and also the "Region Wiew glitch" on large maps.

Just for the fun,I´ve visit LEX today just to see my download history,and I have exatly 110 downloads from that site only.I have no idea of how many from here because I lost my first account for some reasons.Also in old days I used a lot of files from SimCity.com

I think that will answer your question of if I know how to handle the Plugin Folder.

I just never see exatly what type of files they are,just how to download and install.Because it don´t interest me,-and sorry to say,-it still don´t.

I´ve never been interested in programming and in this case modding,and I don´t think i´ll ever will.

But using a tool like Reader,Sc4 mapper,LotEditor and so on is ok,-as long as it´s simple.

And using the Reader is absolute not simple for me,and I find it better we stop this thread now,-though I´m still interested in how to navigate to those two building(hospital,school).

Anyway.Thank you very much for taking your time to try and teach an old man,but sorry mate "I was´nt game".

Edited by neslein

editing

No problems.  Nobody can be taught anything they are unwilling to learn.

A few parting explanations:

You are correct in that there is no difference in how the game runs under various versions of Windows.  However, the some places very relevant to the game have changed both locations and names over various versions of Windows, Primarily the My Documents folder.  In order to tell you where to look for your custom content, I had to establish what version of Windows you were using.

In order to teach you how to use Reader, I had to establish what your level of experience (not in playing the game, but in how the game works).  Hence my start with the basics on common game files that Reader interacts with.  I decided to go full speed ahead with my explanation as well.

When you came back with the screen shot showing the Plugins folder in your game installation folder, I determined that at the very least you had no idea of some of the basics in game mechanics (i.e. where your custom content was located), and there was at least an implication of a possibility you didn't have any custom content.  That's when I launched into the explanation of the two Plugins folders.

No, Reader overall is not a simple program with all it can do.  However, doing what I was trying to teach you is a simple process; if you had been able to open up some custom content in Reader, my directions would have made much more sense.

I can't tell you how to navigate to specific buildings as I have no idea what you have for custom content or where is currently exists.  If you happened to have downloaded a custom hospital or school, they are located with wherever the rest of your custom content is located.  If all you have is the default Maxis buildings, then the exemplars are located in the SimCity_1.dat file (along with 60,000 other sub-files), and you don't even want to go there in Reader as a beginner.

If you really have no idea where your custom content is, try running a search on your C: drive for .SC4Lot (just like you did for SimCityLocale.dat)

Sorry this didn't work out.

2 hours ago, twalsh102 said:

When you came back with the screen shot showing the Plugins folder in your game installation folder, I determined that at the very least you had no idea of some of the basics in game mechanics (i.e. where your custom content was located), and there was at least an implication of a possibility you didn't have any custom content.  That's when I launched into the explanation of the two Plugins folders.

But that´s the screen I get when I push "open file".It´s just incidentally that the plugin folder are highligthed.Nothing are highligthed when it open.

And why would I want to costumize any downloaded file.From beginning I´ve asked for a (maxis) school and hospital,and when you told  you could teach me using the Reader,I thought it was those two buildings we should mod and nothing ells.

My installation is total clean.Nothing downloaded anywhere,because I deleted anything Origin related because of that error,and now run the game trough Steam.I just hav´nt sayed that clear enough.

I 'm not trying to get in an argument with you, but:

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 3:33 PM, neslein said:

And mods is what this thread is about.If I had the knowlegde to customize a Hospital,or any other buildings for my use, by using the Lot Editor and iLive Reader I wouldn´t make this post,but I simply can´t figure out how to use these great tools.(58 yeays old,and never had an I pad,-or what ever the name are....;))

So here is my little pray for you Modders.

I would really like a Hospital and an Elementary School with a capacity of 9-10.000,and  with 3 times the cost for both the ambulance and daily running.

Nothing ells must be changed.Just a lot that act as 3 Hospitals or Schools

There is no mention of you wanting modded Maxis lots.  If you had mentioned that, I would not have even attempted to take you down the path I did.   That is because one cannot directly modify any of the Maxis lots without suffering corruption of the SimCity_1.dat file.  One can copy out the exemplars to a new DAT file, and modify them there, but I wouldn't have taken you down that path as a introductory lesson for Reader.

18 hours ago, twalsh102 said:

There is no mention of you wanting modded Maxis lots.  If you had mentioned that, I would not have even attempted to take you down the path I did.   That is because one cannot directly modify any of the Maxis lots without suffering corruption of the SimCity_1.dat file.  One can copy out the exemplars to a new DAT file, and modify them there, but I wouldn't have taken you down that path as a introductory lesson for Reader.

Again I can only apologize for wasting your time.I really thought it was (easy) possible to modifie maxis buildings,and also thought that is what the modders are doing,-either modifye existing buildings or create some new ones using G-max.-because I have seen many modifyed maxis buildings as download.

Then when you sayed you could teach me,I thought it was these two buildings we was talking about.Again my bad,sorry.

I don´t know why you are so afraid showing me to mod those DAT files.I have open and watched them many times,without doing anything,then closed them again,because I did´nt know what to do.No big deal,ther´s just many.

You and me,-we hav´nt been speaking the same language,-that can happend when foreign people try to translate and understand each other.

Sorry for the confusing.

Language can get in the way even when two people speak the same language (there is no problem with your English by the way).  The problem is that many subjects also have their own language.  If two people don't speak that language, then misunderstandings take place.

SC4 could be said to have it's own language (or at least it's own vocabulary).  It's this vocabulary that provides a frame of reference for discussing anything having to do with how SC4 works (which is a different subject than how one plays SC4).  We haven't had a problem with the English language (I don't think), we've had a problem with the language of SC4.

Therein lies the issue.  In order to teach you how to mod anything, whether it is someone else's custom content, or some Maxis content, we have to have the same frame of reference.  When I try to pass on information that provides the basis for that frame of reference, and you tell me that you have no interest in knowing that information, then I figure my chances of successfully teaching you something are pretty small.

Trying to teach you how to successfully modify Maxis items is more complicated than trying to teach you how to modify custom content.  If the instructions I already gave you went over your head because of a lack of that common frame of reference, I'm not going to be successful teaching you steps you need to use to modify Maxis content.