• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

March goal: We're almost there!   03/20/2017

Hi Community! We're almost there for our March goals!  I just wanted to keep the momentum going so if you are able to help, please donate and get some gifts in exchange! Thanks so much to those who have helped out this month, we really appreciate it.
CorinaMarie

RedNotebook SC4 Linkys Idea

44 posts in this topic

OK, earlier I also ran a test install of Zim for Windows inside Sandboxie.

A few general observations:

• Nice clean simple interface.
  • Comprehensive, well presented help documentation (shows the devs care).
  • Edit and read only modes.
  • Quick navigation options to switch between pages.
  • Each page is saved as a plain text file.
  • Search is useful, and there are a lots of options for queries.
  • A range of plugins to extend the features. E.g. Tags / enhanced search
  • Basic formatting options.
  • Wiki type markup is used in the source.
  • HTML an option for exports.

Yeah, didn't have any success either with embedding an external image. Trying source edits and numerous combinations was to no avail:

Ym8H44e.png

This included an effort to 'attach' a Windows shortcut linking to an online image. Nope, nothing, nada.

Even if there was a workaround, there's clearly no built in feature for this anyway as desired -- like a simple paste URL to embed. I'm guessing because the program just doesn't connect to the internet, so isn't able to retrieve & load the image into memory. It'd need some sort of browser rendering ability for this to function, like how the post editor works here on ST. With so many files in the installation, all kinds of DLLs and such, you'd expect this to be included, but surprisingly it isn't.

Yes, it seems editing an exported HTML file is the only option, but that wouldn't be an automatic process and adds unneeded hassle. I think the whole purpose here is to edit and view all pages in a single interface. Therefore, everything needs to be functional from the outset.

Other observations:

Spoiler

When installing, the first thing I noticed was a whole load of bloat. The desktop version expands from an 18MB download to 130MB and includes close to 7,000 files in the installation. Funnily enough, a good proportion of these are images inside the "share\icons" folder. Also there are locale files for practically every language on the planet!

All this is very well for user choice, but is it really necessary by default, with no option to disable when installing? Hmm... :meh:

Also for what it's worth, the portable installation was slightly larger. It even needed installing and took just as long. Isn't the whole point of a portable app to run standalone with limited dependencies? The only difference seemed the data files are placed inside an "App" folder, making it appear like there are fewer files (when actually there are slightly more). Couldn't notice any immediate differences in them either. The main executables (zim.exe) were identical in both versions.

I see Zim hasn't received recent updates (latest was in Jan 2016). Usually when projects remain in a state of "prolonged stable beta", it's rarely a good sign for the future development of new features.

Oh well, this one did have potential and still isn't a bad piece of software. But for the intended use here, doesn't quite make the cut.

Never mind, RedNotebook it is then after all. *;)

If it does the intended task well enough, given the others have reached a dead end, I guess there's not much point in pursuing something else. Will try it out later and see how it performs...

4 people like this

21 hours ago, RandyE said:

I went ahead and grabbed the installer. Then I went for the Documentation, but all 8 linkys for downloads are broken. (Yes, the text seems to be there on their site. It's just I cannot trust it'll be there part way into a project.) Since RN will already do what I want, it's a bit of a moot point. The idea of modifying the program was more to make @RandyE happy.

31 minutes ago, Cyclone Boom said:

RedNotebook it is then after all. *;)

I keep coming back to this conclusion as well.

1 person likes this

Before digging around in the source, it's probably worth getting the basic structure first in place. At least to properly understand what the program can and can't do. Maybe we can find some workarounds? Then if possible, making a few tweaks could always be done as a side project. The data sounds easy enough to import and test on different installations, so that shouldn't be a problem.

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, Handyman said:

Sweet. The sub linkys there do work so I got the PDF version.

Ok, how about the Full instructions and list of dependencies from the RedNotebook source code page? (I did get the source itself.)

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, CorinaMarie said:

The idea of modifying the program was more to make @RandyE happy.

Okay Here I am inside the Python Shell with Rednotebook source loaded... where do we go Cori?  *:thumb:

Image2.jpg

9 hours ago, RandyE said:

Okay Here I am inside the Python Shell with Rednotebook source loaded... where do we go Cori?  *:thumb:

Well, the first step is to make sure we can compile the whole thing and get the same .exe as the original. I suspect right now you'd get about a zillion and three errors unless you have the dependencies installed too. Ergo,

• PyYaml (>=3.05)
  • PyGTK (>=2.16)
  • pywebkitgtk (>=1.1.5)
  • python-enchant (optional, needed for spell checking)

Once we've achieved compileability, then it's time to take a few baby steps and see how difficult it is to add or change things. One really simple thing I want is to add a hotkey to the insert menu for Title.

Insert%20Menu%20Org_zps2zgxppga.jpg

I'd like Ctrl+T to do that for me and put the cursor right in the middle ready to type. It's nothing big cause I can type the appropriate amount of = signs, but it'd be a nice easy step.

I'd also like to have Ctrl+Something pop up the Insert Picture dialog. Then add a new entry of Ctrl+W for a web picture. This latter one would just pop up a box like the Insert Link does, but one would then paste the URL into the top part and the bottom would make an insert entry with the ["" and ""?800 and ] parts in the right places. The 800 happens to be the size I downsize my pics to so they show without a side to side scroll bar on my monitor at 1280 x 1024.

This, ofc, brings up the idea that I'd like to add a preference entry for the default resizing size. So, I'd make all mine 800, but someone else might like 960 or whatever. My idea here is that whatever one sets the default to would override the text files if it is different than what I post online. (Prolly have to have a conversion option which would do them all in one fell swoop.)

Next on my wish list is that the Forward and Back buttons will act like they do now going from one entry to the next only if the search box is empty. If I have searched for something, such as #SC4_Mapping, then I want the buttons to jump forward or back to only entries which match the search. Right now it still just goes to the next entry. (I tested by adding random posts in between my map entries.) If I can do this then there will be no need to group things in consecutive posts. (Btw, I'm using the words posts and entries synonymously.)

So, if I can actually accomplish the above I feel I'll prolly have gained enough knowledge to then tackle bigger things.

3 people like this

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎21 at 4:47 AM, CorinaMarie said:

I did search on their site thru some of the questions and found that the Category option used to be over there and it was removed.

I'll go collect all the dependencies and as well make sure we've got the same complete build.  As quoted above, if the Category option was removed, maybe I can find it and we can put it back in?    Yes, 800 by default is good, not too big, not too small.   Maybe search parameters could be added,  so you could search within a keyword or relative to an entry or date, etc.   Wow, so much stuff... baby steps...       

2 people like this

37 minutes ago, RandyE said:

I'll go collect all the dependencies and as well make sure we've got the same complete build.

You know, this is really cool. *:) I feel like I'm the auto mechanic saying: Ok, I need a ¾" deep-well 6 point socket, a ratchet, a jeweler's flat blade screwdriver, a BFH, (and another beer) and you are getting them for me. *:lol:

I'm wondering if we should get the exact version listed (if older ones are available) rather than the or > part. Sometimes later things bork something. Like I have some very old games off eBay that say they need Win 3.1 or later and won't run at all in Win XP. (They lied to me.) :O

37 minutes ago, CorinaMarie said:

You know, this is really cool. *:) I feel like I'm the auto mechanic saying: Ok, I need a ¾" deep-well 6 point socket, a ratchet, a jeweler's flat blade screwdriver, a BFH, (and another beer) and you are getting them for me. *:lol:

It gets even more interesting, we don't know what make or model the car is and there's no standard manufacturer's specs.   I sure hope the programmer commented throughout the code and doesn't have a PhD in computer science.

Okay, so an exact version with no transitional bits --maybe the one with the category option still in.  Got it.

EDIT:  The first thing I'll make sure it can be compiled into an .exe.  Without that its 'game over' anyway.

1 person likes this

Random thought:

If possible, as they'd be minor additions or tweaks, maybe it'd be worth incorporating such changes as DLL plugins. Otherwise I'm guessing the whole program would need to be recompiled each time. Should there be official updates to RedNotebook adding useful features, a plugin could still function alongside. Whereas creating an updated EXE may "lock down" the possibility of updating, since custom changes would need merging or re-evaluating in a new release.

Interestingly after installing RN, I noticed the installation is distinctly similar to Zim. This I think is because both are written in Python. For example, it shares many of the same libraries and modules (some identical, others slightly different in version). I'm wondering since that supported plugins, whether the same also applies here for RN.

I don't know, just something which came to mind. Take it for what it's worth...

Although I'd be willing to explore it further, programming isn't so much my current area of expertise. I've really only played around in VB, figuring things out to a limited extent through trial and error. Never used Python or the like, so whatever works and gets the job done is fine with me. *;)

1 person likes this

56 minutes ago, RandyE said:

I sure hope the programmer commented throughout the code

Yes, there's decent comments. For example:

def search(self, text, tags):
        """
        This method is only called for days that have all given tags.
        Search in date first, then in the text, then in the tags.
        Uses case-insensitive search.
        """
        results = []
        if not text:
            # Only add text result once for all tags.
            add_text_to_results = False
            for day_tag, entries in self.get_category_content_pairs().items():
                for tag in tags:
                    # We know that all tags are present, but we loop through
                    # day_tags nonetheless, to escape the day_tags.
                    if escape_tag(day_tag) != tag:
                        continue
                    if entries:
                        results.extend(entries)
                    else:
                        add_text_to_results = True
            if add_text_to_results:
                results.append(get_text_with_dots(self.text, 0, TEXT_RESULT_LENGTH))
        elif text in str(self):
            # Date contains searched text.
            results.append(get_text_with_dots(self.text, 0, TEXT_RESULT_LENGTH))
        else:
            text_result = self.search_in_text(text)
            if text_result:
                results.append(text_result)
            results.extend(self.search_in_categories(text))
        return str(self), results

Here it seems that search is a 3 dimensional array which references itself for the name and then can contain the text found and the associated tags. The results.extend(entries) is the function to add the text to the results array which match the search criteria.

I'll need to find the variables definitions to see if they are allocated as static size or dynamically extendable for the number of entries. I would guess by now only dynamic would be used, but back when I did that COBOL thing they had space limitations and used a fixed length array. The whole program collapsed cause the thinger got full. (You've prolly already seen that convo between Granpa Moose and me, but if not let me know and I can find the linky.) Anyhow, one concern is that we won't break the program at the 1000th or 10,000th or whatever entry.

Anyhow, tho the syntax is different than what I've programmed before the concepts themselves don't change a whole lot. Like elif is prolly what I know as elseif. Any variable (sub something else) is an array of data of one dimension. Variable (sub, sub) is two dimensional and so on. So the main loop here is that we are deliberately saying if there is text for day_tag that matches then we add it to the list. From there we'd want the Forward and Back buttons to search thru that list and not just the next entry which contains text.

Or something like that. (I'm getting a wee bit intoxicated atm and this may not make any sense at all.)

:O

P.S. And yes, I've considered looking at the older version source for the Category part too.

Edited by Cyclone Boom

Fixed the auto-acronym that showed "str" as Single Track Rail. This is now case sensitive. ;)
1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Cyclone Boom said:

Interestingly after installing RN, I noticed the installation is distinctly similar to Zim.

I was going to mention Zim again too.  Weren't we happy with it except for the one thing that it didn't go online and embed pics from URLS?  It also is GNU GPL open source written in Python, and if we really only need to change one thing...

2 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

Or something like that. (I'm getting a wee bit intoxicated atm and this may not make any sense at all.)

Scary how I actually almost understand almost all of it...  Its a scripting based language like Cobol, BASIC, HTML <-- where we started :}