• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for July   06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins

9 posts in this topic

How do i solve traffic Problems in cities skylines? Such as massive traffic jams on the higwhay exit?

Lower the volume of traffic or increase the number of lanes to increase it's capacity. Sometimes that will necessitate altering larger parts of your road networks, for example adding a new interchange to make a difference.

Stellaris88 likes this

2 minutes ago, rsc204 said:

Lower the volume of traffic or increase the number of lanes to increase it's capacity. Sometimes that will necessitate altering larger parts of your road networks, for example adding a new interchange to make a difference.

yes but i have mostly Problems on the Highways not in the City.

Doesn't really change things. The basic problem is too many cars/other traffic needing to use it. So if you can't increase capacity of the lanes, you'll need alternate routes to increase it. That can also include competing public transport, such as Rail, Metro or Buses that covers the route. Although if the bulk of the traffic is related to shipping goods or other services, public transport won't help much.

Just now, rsc204 said:

Doesn't really change things. The basic problem is too many cars/other traffic needing to use it. So if you can't increase capacity of the lanes, you'll need alternate routes to increase it. That can also include competing public transport, such as Rail, Metro or Buses that covers the route. Although if the bulk of the traffic is related to shipping goods or other services, public transport won't help much.

yes the industries are the Problem.

There aren't really a lot of options if that is the case.

Step 1 try to make sure the industries are fed from "hubs", which makes cargo transportation more efficient. Set up a Freight/Container rail terminal on the outskirts of your industrial areas. Have another one that feeds into the city itself where your commercial shops are most dense. That way the bulk of the goods can be transported by rail. Of course the actual goods will still need to use road transport between the hub and the final destination/pickup points. So it's imperative that the road links between Industry and the hub are well optimised. Similar storey for the hub for goods into shops. Ideally these hubs should be placed well clear of major commuter routes to prevent mixing of commuter traffic and cargo. If you get that right, you'll find things run a lot smoother.

Another important tip, the road that goes to the freight terminal should be one-way only. Allowing for maximum efficiency for traffic entering/leaving the terminal.

Some more info is here and here (Steam forums). Or perhaps a tutorial video is more useful?

CorinaMarie likes this

3 minutes ago, rsc204 said:

There aren't really a lot of options if that is the case...

i had a city with 86k inhabitants, the traffic on the highway was extreme. but not in the city, only in the industrial zone and on the highway.

So look at the information I linked too and you should be able to fix it. Since you can't possibly have spent as long doing that as I took to post the info in the first place, that's your starting point. I can't help further, train to catch.