• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Help us reach our June donation goal   06/12/2017

If you can, please help us reach our June donation goal!  Please note that the STEX Collector's Set gift can now be sent to you by digital download, as well as by mail! Simtropolis runs mostly on donations, as you know, every dollar helps us keep things up and running and bring in improvements from time to time. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins

73 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I'm currently working on a mega region (I"m at 34 million and ⅓ of the map left) with a couple handfuls of cities with populations well exceeding 1 million. I've completed 2 large maps with populations of 4.5 and 5.2 million. My largest medium map population is at 1.4 million and the small size 450k.  I've heavily modded it, and the single best mod for maximum residential population is the RCI demand mod that lets you set a large percentage of residents "working from home".  

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 3.40.51 PM.png

Edited by schlampe9856
CrybKeeper and CorinaMarie like this

For me the best strategy to develop a large city (over 1 million) has been to create a region with a large tile where you want the city to be and surround it with several small or medium sized tiles. Develop 3-5 of the surrounding tiles until the total population of the region is around 150K. Afterwards I zone the large tile for high and medium density, build all the connecting roads/highways and let it go. The large tile has tons of demand for all 3 types of zoning and the population increases as quickly as you can zone things. Skyscrapers also appear quickly for me this way. 

It takes good planning though. I usually layout the main highways and roads across the region before I start building cities.I already have in my mind how I want the region to look.

CorinaMarie likes this

I am building a metropolis too. 8x8 large tiles. Only I am using GIGS of mods and a natural growth historical approach, so mine isnt really a "Fast and furious" way to reach over 1,000,000, but i'm planning on definetely more than that. Also the mods I use are mostly realism oriented, buildings, fixes, NAM, CAM, MMPs...

My advice to Stellaris and everyone if I can contribute is, whatever playing style or goal, to ENJOY THE GAME. If you bought it and joined this forum maybe you like it a little bit, so why rush into building megalopolis with trillion people in it and a vast ocean of skyscrapers when you can enjoy taking your time to shape the scenario?

I see SC4 as a train set model or a diorama or whatever you call them. People spend months working on single trees and grains of sands to make a little hill. It takes patience, yes, and after hours you look at it and it doesnt evoke anything other than frustration. But then you compare pictures a week later and your jaw drops and you feel fuzzy inside.

I checked my own pictures of the first post of my journal and compared them with the ones i took the last few days and... oh my god! These couple of months have really been worth it. I can start to feel the city alive, breathing, talking, asking me. It's not about the numbers. It's about the feel.

Stellaris88 you repeatedly said that SC4 cities look ugly and that you don't want to spoil your city with mods. Ok. To advice you I can say that you might try to avoid the "grid" and I mean trying to avoid to make neighbourhoods that look like a grid, like an infinite picture of suburb LA or Manhattan. On paper they look really boring, but of course in real life they have a variety of skyscrapers and monuments and the roads themselves have several different functions and styles, from alleys to massive avenues to expressways to urban interstates.

Try first to adopt a non-flat map. Terrain is the NUMBER ONE factor in the uglyness department. My first metropolis project was a DIY flatmap and no matter how creative I was with NAM RHW and NWM avenues it just look stale. Browse the internet and find a good map that fits your taste, one with hills and woods, or maybe a bay. A mountain pass. A coastal map. Make your own (although more patience needed). My metropolis named Branny i took the map from the internet, it's the estuary of a big river in a bay. Really sparked my imagination. There are hills although not very pronounced and there is just a hint of a mountain range in the southwest. I adopted a mediterranean climate overhaul and downloaded lots of MMPs and refined my painter skills (ahahah). Even without laying a single road or building the map is already beautiful to look at. You can do this without mods. Just get a good map that doesnt look boring or ugly and spend some time giving it character BEFORE you lay roads.

When you get to start building, dont just lay endless grids or RCI. Use a little bit of common sense and place things where they have a function. Use your imagination. Cities look good if they are realistic. A endless ocean of industry in a grid just looks like a copy and paste effort. Invent. Maybe over there has been opened a coal mine. Put a rail line close to it and connect it to an industry park somewhere else and build a coal power plant. Build also a warehouse and leave space for coal deposits so trains can unload and go back to the mine. You build a port? Then terraform the land around it to ease naval traffic and to build naval docks and shipyards. Connect everything with rail. Make a rail siding with several tracks and warehouses around it. These kind of things give life to the aestathics of the city, makes it look more believable. With or without mods. Obviously there are mods that add buldings, MMPs, puzzle pieces and kits, all sorts of things you can use to embellish or give character or to add functionality. But all of this can be done without mods. I used to. Just remember that the main factor in uglyness is the "grid".

Hope it helps!

On 3/18/2017 at 0:11 PM, MissVanleider said:

I think basically you can either play ugly, (i agree, it is!) unmodded sc4 or you can download mods. I think even making an 'ugly' city with 1 million sims is basically impossible without the things @rsc204 mentioned above.

I also think that this is, on balance, probably a troll thread which i shouldnt have wasted my time replying to, only really did to add that i agree with the other wise simtropizens :thumb:

Not at all true. I have made dozens of cities without mods, that reach 1.5 million sims. These same cities, even have lots of green places, full of trees and parks. Yes, they are generic and ugly, but the goal of the game is to reach one million sims in a large city, while maintaining all the pleasant things those sims want in a city and I know 100%, it can be done and it is actually real easy.

CorinaMarie likes this

9 minutes ago, CrybKeeper said:

... the goal of the game is to reach one million sims in a large city, ...

I believe that part could spark some philosophical debate. Perhaps that is one particular self imposed goal rather than the one and only goal of the game. *;)

CrybKeeper, kim026, f3cs and 1 other like this

On 5/24/2017 at 6:40 PM, CorinaMarie said:

I believe that part could spark some philosophical debate. Perhaps that is one particular self imposed goal rather than the one and only goal of the game. *;)

Yes, you are correct and at the same time, maybe not so correct. The explanation for this statement, requires a short novel of about 20 forum pages, in order to see the 'big picture'. No worries; I am not going to post 20 forum pages ;)

Maximum population entails a broader definition, than just the population of 'sims' or 'plebs' or 'trains' or 'carnival rides', etc. My stance is based on math, algorithms and a fixed science of numerical values, that must always be followed. Simulations are all the same at their core and that means, the answer is always the same - Maximize everything in the most efficient manner and you solve the simulation.

kim026 and CorinaMarie like this

8 minutes ago, CrybKeeper said:

Maximize everything in the most efficient manner and you solve the simulation.

That, ofc, presumes one accepts a priori that that is the goal. Other peeps might believe a beautiful creation is the objective. Or any other self defined goals. That does not make your definition wrong. I simply mean it's not a universal single answer. *:P

CrybKeeper, APSMS and kim026 like this

2 minutes ago, CorinaMarie said:

That, ofc, presumes one accepts a priori that that is the goal. Other peeps might believe a beautiful creation is the objective. Or any other self defined goals. That does not make your definition wrong. I simply mean it's not a universal single answer. *:P

Exactly true Corina. That is why we have all of these mods/plug-ins, that create such diverse beauty and let us be more original, think out of the 'grid' and explore multiple universes

If we accept the vanilla simulation at its base, my viewpoint is correct for all simulations. but definitely not the only goal, so my original post was a bit 'off'. I apologize for that.

CorinaMarie likes this

@kim026: I love your post(above), which is my reason for apologizing for my original post(above). I need to quit thinking inside the grid, haha.

kim026 likes this

6 minutes ago, CrybKeeper said:

I apologize for that.

I accept that, but it's not needed. You haven't offended me in any way. We simply discussed a difference in opinion / perspective. It's like if I say pink is the prettiest color. I'm right, ofc, but you might not agree. *:8)

kim026 and CrybKeeper like this

@CrybKeeper no need to apologize. It's a game and we have the right to do whatever we want with it. But because it's such a customisable and moddable game, restraining it to one single point of view is just.... a big waste.

madhatter106 likes this

On 3/18/2017 at 2:24 PM, twalsh102 said:

The problem is that there is no answer, simple or other wise, to your question.  There is no formula to determine how long it will take to reach a certain population.

The factors are many:  how long you play each day, the level of your expertise with game mechanics, your playing style, your ability to avoid the many minefields the game will throw at you.  Growing a city with a large population gees way beyond just knowing the "Basics".  There are people that play for years without reaching a million inhabitants.

While deciding to play without any mods is of course up to you (does this include other custom content as well?), there are several mods that either fix some of the things Maxis broke (and there are many), or implement several things that Maxis tried to do but failed or didn't finish.  Getting to a high population level could be difficult without them.

If you're not a patient person, you're likely to get frustrated enough to drop the game.  The game is not a contest; there is no time limit; there are no deep, dark secrets to success; it's about the journey!

also the thing is that part of SimCity 4 has an element of randomness to it. so how the city develops isn't always the same each time. 

kim026 likes this

@AprilAero @kim026  :  I know I said I would think out of the grid, but the grid is the reason for total success, so I attempted to build realistic cities, while retaining  some gridded and some meandering, but directional or purposeful routes.

I do not use traffic mods of any kind, that will change the algorithms of sims travel directions or travel times, since these mods mess up Maxis' original intent. I have a region going currently, with a central large city, surrounded by smaller industrial cities. My central city reached one million simizens in less than 30 years of game play. My large, central city, still contains about 35% green trees and parks, etc. and has no industry whatsoever. Mayor rating is 100% loved.

Mods I do use: Lots that create better efficiency for utilities, education and health services, that is all - Basically, I use Shmails stuff.

Valero-1497796231.png

RobertLM78 and CorinaMarie like this