• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Help us reach our June donation goal   06/12/2017

If you can, please help us reach our June donation goal!  Please note that the STEX Collector's Set gift can now be sent to you by digital download, as well as by mail! Simtropolis runs mostly on donations, as you know, every dollar helps us keep things up and running and bring in improvements from time to time. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins

73 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, rsc204 said:

What, you mean the very thing you are so totally against? Sorry what is your Point?

iam too lazy to install mods. :)

Just now, _Michael said:

@Stellaris88

Shamless self promotion, but I  don't  think my cities look boring:

Neither does the work of @Korver, @rsc204, @Feyss, @Akallan and so forth and so forth and so forth. 

I agree so much.People who arent into aesthetics building do not know how many work does it take to produce a quality build

2 minutes ago, Abrams124 said:

I agree so much.People who arent into aesthetics building do not know how many work does it take to produce a quality build

simcity 4 cities look ugly.

5 minutes ago, Stellaris88 said:

If that's the case then I'm afraid SC4 simply won't remain appealing to you. Mods have kept the game's momentum going for 14 years. 

My plugin folder has thousands and thousands of files in it. That takes perseverance and patience and my game is better because of that. 

1 minute ago, Stellaris88 said:

Check out the work of the users I mentioned in my last post. Let your mind be changed. 

RobertLM78 and kim026 like this

3 minutes ago, Stellaris88 said:

Wouldn't installing another game be more work?

It's simple really... A developer makes a game, but games development is an expensive and time consuming business. At some point the developer needs to generate income based on their investment, at which time the game gets released. So all such games will have a limited set of tools and number of building options.

Because SC4 was made so well, it's open-nature has nurtured a huge fantastical modding scene, the likes of which no other city builder can come close too. If you can't be bothered to install them, that's your choice, but for me they continue to evolve the game and make it more playable.

2 minutes ago, Stellaris88 said:

I don't know what the purpose of such comments are. Let me be clear, if this thread is going to descend into troll-like behaviour, it will be swiftly locked. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if you truly think that, why on earth do you want to play it?

APSMS and kim026 like this

3 minutes ago, rsc204 said:

Wouldn't installing another game be more work?

It's simple really... A developer makes a game, but games development is an expensive and time consuming business. At some point the developer needs to generate income based on their investment, at which time the game gets released. So all such games will have a limited set of tools and number of building options.

Because SC4 was made so well, it's open-nature has nurtured a huge fantastical modding scene, the likes of which no other city builder can come close too. If you can't be bothered to install them, that's your choice, but for me they continue to evolve the game and make it more playable.

I don't know what the purpose of such comments are. Let me be clear, if this thread is going to descend into troll-like behaviour, it will be swiftly locked. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if you truly think that, why on earth do you want to play it?

no the do not look good, because simcity 4 is an old game with old graphics. but the game itself is not bad.

CrybKeeper likes this

3 minutes ago, Stellaris88 said:

no the do not look good, because simcity 4 is an old game with old graphics. but the game itself is not bad.

32857461585_d1f460bdb0_o.jpg

Note the forums can't display that image in its full glory. Click to see the full 1920x4922 image.

Boring? I think not.

Outdated graphics? Lol, show me another city builder capable of that quality?

Modded? Oh Yes!

RobertLM78, APSMS and eple like this

1 minute ago, rsc204 said:

Note the forums can't display that image in its full glory. Click to see the full 1920x4922 image.

Boring? I think not.

Outdated graphics? Lol, show me another city builder capable of that quality?

Modded? Oh Yes!

Yes but some mods are difficult to install.

1 minute ago, Stellaris88 said:

Yes but some mods are difficult to install.

Completely disagree. 

Most 'complex' mods come in easy installers which you just run. Most others are drag and drop. Very few require anymore. 

RobertLM78 likes this

Just now, _Michael said:

Completely disagree. 

Most 'complex' mods come in easy installers which you just run. Most others are drag and drop. Very few require anymore. 

Nope most mods don't work anymore.

Just now, Stellaris88 said:

Nope most mods don't work anymore.

You simply could not be more wrong. 

I can't think of a single SC4 mod which is incompatible. 

Just now, _Michael said:

You simply could not be more wrong. 

I can't think of a single SC4 mod which is incompatible. 

some of them are.

Please give some examples

And if you are receiving error messages when trying to install, it would help if you provide those as well

_Michael and APSMS like this

I think basically you can either play ugly, (i agree, it is!) unmodded sc4 or you can download mods. I think even making an 'ugly' city with 1 million sims is basically impossible without the things @rsc204 mentioned above.

I also think that this is, on balance, probably a troll thread which i shouldnt have wasted my time replying to, only really did to add that i agree with the other wise simtropizens :thumb:

kim026, MeMyself&I and APSMS like this

3 minutes ago, MissVanleider said:

I think basically you can either play ugly, (i agree, it is!) unmodded sc4 or you can download mods. I think even making an 'ugly' city with 1 million sims is basically impossible without the things @rsc204 mentioned above.

I also think that this is, on balance, probably a troll thread which i shouldnt have wasted my time replying to, only really did to add that i agree with the other wise simtropizens :thumb:

no i am not a troll.

With a lack of any specific examples of mods not working and/or being incompatible, lets try this direction:

What are the specs of the computer you're using?

What operating system?

What version of SC4 do you have?  Is it a CD version or a digital version form Steam/GOG/Origin/elsewhere?

Just now, twalsh102 said:

With a lack of any specific examples of mods not working and/or being incompatible, lets try this direction:

What are the specs of the computer you're using?

What operating system?

What version of SC4 do you have?  Is it a CD version or a digital version form Steam/GOG/Origin/elsewhere?

Windows 8 simcity 4 on steam

OK, first some semantics:  SC4 Terraformer and SC4 Mapper are tools, not mods.  They are not a requirement of the game, nor do they fix anything that needs to be fixed.

If this is the only problem you're having, rather than reinvent the wheel, I would suggest that you head over to SC4Devotion where there are forums dedicated to these tools.  There are documented problems that have existed since Windows 7, and there are fixes available for almost all of them.

matias93, APSMS, rsc204 and 2 others like this

Just now, twalsh102 said:

OK, first some semantics:  SC4 Terraformer and SC4 Mapper are tools, not mods.  They are not a requirement of the game, nor do they fix anything that needs to be fixed.

If this is the only problem you're having, rather than reinvent the wheel, I would suggest that you head over to SC4Devotion where there are forums dedicated to these tools.  There are documented problems that have existed since Windows 7, and there are fixes available for almost all of them.

ok

Let me clarify:

No one is forcing you to use mods, and doing so is only a suggestion. Whether to enhance gameplay or visuals, add variety, fix bugs (e.g. the NAM for the broken traffic simulator) or even make the game easier to use. They're not a requirement, and although it may be more challenging and not a simple process, a large city can technically be built without them. It just takes time and a whole lot of perseverance.

It's also true compiling a large plugins set takes considerable time and determination. And really, you couldn't have come to a more helpful community to seek any advice with this. Although it would require effort on your own part, surely as evidenced, the end result would be more than worthwhile.

If not, that's completely up to you. Again the choice is yours... *;)

APSMS, _Michael, TekindusT and 2 others like this

1 minute ago, Cyclone Boom said:

Let me clarify:

No one is forcing you to use mods, and doing so is only a suggestion. Whether to enhance gameplay or visuals, add variety, fix bugs (e.g. the NAM for the broken traffic simulator) or even make the game easier to use. They're not a requirement, and although it may be more challenging and not a simple process, a large city can technically be built without them. It just takes time and a whole lot of perseverance.

It's also true compiling a large plugins set takes considerable time and effort. And really, you couldn't have come to a more helpful community to seek any advice with this. Although it would require some effort on your own part, surely as evidenced, the end result would be more than worthwhile.

If not, that's completely up to you. Again the choice is yours... *;)

ok

My suggestion, Stellaris[=115]88, is to be patient - there is a steep learning curve to this game, but with perseverance, you can make a metropolis of any size, depending on how big your region is, of course.  The last region I worked on I spent 2 years on, spending maybe on average 5 hours a week (it's hard to say for sure - took a couple breaks, but also was at it regularly a few times over that 2 year period).   If I recall that 6x6 large tile region had a population of something like 17 million - I stopped working on that one since I'd messed it up with eternal commuters, so the exact number is a bit foggy.

For a long time the only thing in my plugin folder was an air-purification plant, but then I discovered NAM, which really fixes the game's traffic simulator.  Now days I have about a gig of plugins - but you don't need all that; but I do strongly suggest NAM.

9 hours ago, RobertLM78 said:

My suggestion, Stellaris[=115]88, is to be patient - there is a steep learning curve to this game, but with perseverance, you can make a metropolis of any size, depending on how big your region is, of course.  The last region I worked on I spent 2 years on, spending maybe on average 5 hours a week (it's hard to say for sure - took a couple breaks, but also was at it regularly a few times over that 2 year period).   If I recall that 6x6 large tile region had a population of something like 17 million - I stopped working on that one since I'd messed it up with eternal commuters, so the exact number is a bit foggy.

For a long time the only thing in my plugin folder was an air-purification plant, but then I discovered NAM, which really fixes the game's traffic simulator.  Now days I have about a gig of plugins - but you don't need all that; but I do strongly suggest NAM.

ok

I watched a video a YouTube that showed it was possible to reach a population of 107M (for region) in SC4 without mods.

CS in theory is 1M, but given that the resources are used for vehicles too, I think in practice 0.5M is a more reasonable estimate.

For a 2003 release, SC4 is superb.  You cannot compare the graphics of 2003 with 2015.  CS is still under active development (and has mods).  You cannot compare active development with mods, as development has the source code.

The real issue if don't choose to play both comes down to your desired play style.  (and possibly your PC performance)

What does it matter if your city has 30,000,000 or 50,000?  These are just computer abstractions?

A better question is what is important for you?

Graphics?

Rigid city partitioning (only partial in CS, but can be almost absolute in SC4)?

Play by tile or play in totality?

I think CS is the more approachable of the two as the UI is more modern; also much of the SC4 mods although powerful require more dedication to learning curve, because they are not built-in directly.

CorinaMarie and kim026 like this