• Moose
  • Announcements

    • Dirktator

      Need your donations for May & June!   05/01/2017

      We need your support to help keep Simtropolis online. We also need a little bit more this month to enhance the new chat with some features, such as mobile support! Please consider a donation today if you can help out, it would mean a lot! And we'll send you a little gift in return.  Help us reach our May goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins

62 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, rsc204 said:

What, you mean the very thing you are so totally against? Sorry what is your Point?

 iam too lazy to install mods. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, _Michael said:

@Stellaris88

Shamless self promotion, but I  don't  think my cities look boring:

Neither does the work of @Korver, @rsc204, @Feyss, @Akallan and so forth and so forth and so forth. 

I agree so much.People who arent into aesthetics building do not know how many work does it take to produce a quality build

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Abrams124 said:

I agree so much.People who arent into aesthetics building do not know how many work does it take to produce a quality build

 

 simcity 4 cities look ugly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stellaris88 said:

 iam too lazy to install mods. :)

 

If that's the case then I'm afraid SC4 simply won't remain appealing to you. Mods have kept the game's momentum going for 14 years. 

My plugin folder has thousands and thousands of files in it. That takes perseverance and patience and my game is better because of that. 

 

1 minute ago, Stellaris88 said:

 

 simcity 4 cities look ugly.

Check out the work of the users I mentioned in my last post. Let your mind be changed. 

RobertLM78 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stellaris88 said:

 

 simcity 4 cities look ugly.

Sure,tell that to Korver,LN X and Michael...

_Michael likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stellaris88 said:

 iam too lazy to install mods. :)

Wouldn't installing another game be more work?

It's simple really... A developer makes a game, but games development is an expensive and time consuming business. At some point the developer needs to generate income based on their investment, at which time the game gets released. So all such games will have a limited set of tools and number of building options.

Because SC4 was made so well, it's open-nature has nurtured a huge fantastical modding scene, the likes of which no other city builder can come close too. If you can't be bothered to install them, that's your choice, but for me they continue to evolve the game and make it more playable.

2 minutes ago, Stellaris88 said:

 simcity 4 cities look ugly.

I don't know what the purpose of such comments are. Let me be clear, if this thread is going to descend into troll-like behaviour, it will be swiftly locked. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if you truly think that, why on earth do you want to play it?

APSMS likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rsc204 said:

Wouldn't installing another game be more work?

It's simple really... A developer makes a game, but games development is an expensive and time consuming business. At some point the developer needs to generate income based on their investment, at which time the game gets released. So all such games will have a limited set of tools and number of building options.

Because SC4 was made so well, it's open-nature has nurtured a huge fantastical modding scene, the likes of which no other city builder can come close too. If you can't be bothered to install them, that's your choice, but for me they continue to evolve the game and make it more playable.

I don't know what the purpose of such comments are. Let me be clear, if this thread is going to descend into troll-like behaviour, it will be swiftly locked. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if you truly think that, why on earth do you want to play it?

no the do not look good, because simcity 4 is an old game with old graphics. but the game itself is not bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stellaris88 said:

no the do not look good, because simcity 4 is an old game with old graphics. but the game itself is not bad.

32857461585_d1f460bdb0_o.jpg

Note the forums can't display that image in its full glory. Click to see the full 1920x4922 image.

Boring? I think not.

Outdated graphics? Lol, show me another city builder capable of that quality?

Modded? Oh Yes!

RobertLM78, APSMS and eple like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rsc204 said:

Note the forums can't display that image in its full glory. Click to see the full 1920x4922 image.

Boring? I think not.

Outdated graphics? Lol, show me another city builder capable of that quality?

Modded? Oh Yes!

Yes but some mods are difficult to install.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stellaris88 said:

Yes but some mods are difficult to install.

Completely disagree. 

Most 'complex' mods come in easy installers which you just run. Most others are drag and drop. Very few require anymore. 

RobertLM78 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, _Michael said:

Completely disagree. 

Most 'complex' mods come in easy installers which you just run. Most others are drag and drop. Very few require anymore. 

Nope most mods don't work anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stellaris88 said:

Nope most mods don't work anymore.

You simply could not be more wrong. 

I can't think of a single SC4 mod which is incompatible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, _Michael said:

You simply could not be more wrong. 

I can't think of a single SC4 mod which is incompatible. 

some of them are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please give some examples

And if you are receiving error messages when trying to install, it would help if you provide those as well

APSMS and _Michael like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think basically you can either play ugly, (i agree, it is!) unmodded sc4 or you can download mods. I think even making an 'ugly' city with 1 million sims is basically impossible without the things @rsc204 mentioned above.

I also think that this is, on balance, probably a troll thread which i shouldnt have wasted my time replying to, only really did to add that i agree with the other wise simtropizens :thumb:

APSMS and MeMyself&I like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MissVanleider said:

I think basically you can either play ugly, (i agree, it is!) unmodded sc4 or you can download mods. I think even making an 'ugly' city with 1 million sims is basically impossible without the things @rsc204 mentioned above.

I also think that this is, on balance, probably a troll thread which i shouldnt have wasted my time replying to, only really did to add that i agree with the other wise simtropizens :thumb:

no i am not a troll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With a lack of any specific examples of mods not working and/or being incompatible, lets try this direction:

What are the specs of the computer you're using?

What operating system?

What version of SC4 do you have?  Is it a CD version or a digital version form Steam/GOG/Origin/elsewhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, twalsh102 said:

With a lack of any specific examples of mods not working and/or being incompatible, lets try this direction:

What are the specs of the computer you're using?

What operating system?

What version of SC4 do you have?  Is it a CD version or a digital version form Steam/GOG/Origin/elsewhere?

Windows 8 simcity 4 on steam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, first some semantics:  SC4 Terraformer and SC4 Mapper are tools, not mods.  They are not a requirement of the game, nor do they fix anything that needs to be fixed.

If this is the only problem you're having, rather than reinvent the wheel, I would suggest that you head over to SC4Devotion where there are forums dedicated to these tools.  There are documented problems that have existed since Windows 7, and there are fixes available for almost all of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, twalsh102 said:

OK, first some semantics:  SC4 Terraformer and SC4 Mapper are tools, not mods.  They are not a requirement of the game, nor do they fix anything that needs to be fixed.

If this is the only problem you're having, rather than reinvent the wheel, I would suggest that you head over to SC4Devotion where there are forums dedicated to these tools.  There are documented problems that have existed since Windows 7, and there are fixes available for almost all of them.

ok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me clarify:

No one is forcing you to use mods, and doing so is only a suggestion. Whether to enhance gameplay or visuals, add variety, fix bugs (e.g. the NAM for the broken traffic simulator) or even make the game easier to use. They're not a requirement, and although it may be more challenging and not a simple process, a large city can technically be built without them. It just takes time and a whole lot of perseverance.

It's also true compiling a large plugins set takes considerable time and determination. And really, you couldn't have come to a more helpful community to seek any advice with this. Although it would require effort on your own part, surely as evidenced, the end result would be more than worthwhile.

If not, that's completely up to you. Again the choice is yours... *;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cyclone Boom said:

Let me clarify:

No one is forcing you to use mods, and doing so is only a suggestion. Whether to enhance gameplay or visuals, add variety, fix bugs (e.g. the NAM for the broken traffic simulator) or even make the game easier to use. They're not a requirement, and although it may be more challenging and not a simple process, a large city can technically be built without them. It just takes time and a whole lot of perseverance.

It's also true compiling a large plugins set takes considerable time and effort. And really, you couldn't have come to a more helpful community to seek any advice with this. Although it would require some effort on your own part, surely as evidenced, the end result would be more than worthwhile.

If not, that's completely up to you. Again the choice is yours... *;)

ok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My suggestion, Stellaris[=115]88, is to be patient - there is a steep learning curve to this game, but with perseverance, you can make a metropolis of any size, depending on how big your region is, of course.  The last region I worked on I spent 2 years on, spending maybe on average 5 hours a week (it's hard to say for sure - took a couple breaks, but also was at it regularly a few times over that 2 year period).   If I recall that 6x6 large tile region had a population of something like 17 million - I stopped working on that one since I'd messed it up with eternal commuters, so the exact number is a bit foggy.

For a long time the only thing in my plugin folder was an air-purification plant, but then I discovered NAM, which really fixes the game's traffic simulator.  Now days I have about a gig of plugins - but you don't need all that; but I do strongly suggest NAM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RobertLM78 said:

My suggestion, Stellaris[=115]88, is to be patient - there is a steep learning curve to this game, but with perseverance, you can make a metropolis of any size, depending on how big your region is, of course.  The last region I worked on I spent 2 years on, spending maybe on average 5 hours a week (it's hard to say for sure - took a couple breaks, but also was at it regularly a few times over that 2 year period).   If I recall that 6x6 large tile region had a population of something like 17 million - I stopped working on that one since I'd messed it up with eternal commuters, so the exact number is a bit foggy.

For a long time the only thing in my plugin folder was an air-purification plant, but then I discovered NAM, which really fixes the game's traffic simulator.  Now days I have about a gig of plugins - but you don't need all that; but I do strongly suggest NAM.

ok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched a video a YouTube that showed it was possible to reach a population of 107M (for region) in SC4 without mods.

CS in theory is 1M, but given that the resources are used for vehicles too, I think in practice 0.5M is a more reasonable estimate.

For a 2003 release, SC4 is superb.  You cannot compare the graphics of 2003 with 2015.  CS is still under active development (and has mods).  You cannot compare active development with mods, as development has the source code.

The real issue if don't choose to play both comes down to your desired play style.  (and possibly your PC performance)

What does it matter if your city has 30,000,000 or 50,000?  These are just computer abstractions?

A better question is what is important for you?

Graphics?

Rigid city partitioning (only partial in CS, but can be almost absolute in SC4)?

Play by tile or play in totality?

I think CS is the more approachable of the two as the UI is more modern; also much of the SC4 mods although powerful require more dedication to learning curve, because they are not built-in directly.

 

CorinaMarie likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Sign up to join our friendly community. It's easy!  :thumb:


Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now


  •  
  • Similar Content

    • By Evanjs
      I have always loved @RRetail And @nos.17 re-lots so I have stated my own re-lots. More to come soon.
       
      Update 1.



    • By UrbanFoxx
      Minderia
      The land of Technology
       
      On February 4, 1991, the US State of Minderia was granted independence after a referendum on the issue the previous year. Located on a giant island west of Los Angeles, it shares a water border with the United States, and its capital is Minderia City, which was only founded in 1977. This SimCity 4 YouTube City Journal is meant to follow the growth of the seven major cities of Minderia. In the end, (sometime in 2020) we will have a city journal finally worthy of being on the City Journal section of this site (which is probably when ST 10.0 will be released)
       
      Without further ado, here's Part 1 of the series!
       
      Here's a rundown on what has been done in this video. In the first entry to this series, we make the interchange of Highway MA4 and MA7 on the South Split as well as build up a retail park, which will be moved further down south because it doesn't exactly look realistic where it sits now. Other than that, I forgot the skyscraper re-lots from KOSC, yeah. Gonna half to download those before the next episode.
    • By huzman
      I found a couple posts about building roads up some hills, but I couldn't find them again. I followed the "how to grow a gentle slope" but that is on a flat land.
      What I want to find is how to climb a hill with roads upwards. I tried terraforming with RR but that just flatens the terrain, and NOT climb up a hill. I won't go for the 45 degrees climb that Maxis allows, they look ridiculous. Any ideas ?
    • By alborzka
      This thread will focus on improving and revamping the Transport Lines Manager mod, as well as potentially adding features from IPT and/or unique new features if possible.
      Transport Lines Manager Reborn 6.0.1 now in the workshop.
      Bugs as of 6.0.1:
      Renamed depots are not working in the TLM listing and in depot details windows. Bus stations and terminals are wrongly listed as depots. Not show cable car stations on linear map as near transport. Ticket price changes not being implemented. Sort lines by colour not working. OP is below:
      The creator of IPT hasn't been online in over 5 months, and the creator of TLM hasn't been online in nearly 1 month. Mass Transit DLC is coming out in a few weeks, and I don't know how either of these mods will fare with changes being brought to the transit system.
      Is anyone in touch with either of these authors? I would especially hate to see TLM go to the dustbin of modding history considering how many options and useful configurations it provides (plus the aesthetics!) such as changing frequency depending on time of day (such a no-brainer), and IPT has excellent debunching. Now that these two mods are nearly incompatible, and with the DLC coming out soon potentially rendering both useless, something must be done. They're far too valuable to go to waste.
      If we can't get the authors to update their mods or publish their code for others to carry it forward, can we all maybe pitch in and create an entirely new mod from scratch? Is someone working on this already? Even with the improvements being brought with the free upgrade/DLC, I feel TLM/IPT features will still be vital to many player's C:S experience. What do y'all think?
    • By hiddentemple
      I installed NAM version 35 a couple of days ago, and works flawlessly, with little to no problems. However, it seems to be doing something with my roundabouts: the avenue, one-way, and regular road roundabouts seem to completely disappear, and I usually have to bulldoze the whole thing and attempt to rebuild it, with rudimentary results. This is a serious concern for me, as some of my cities are saturated with roundabouts.
      I've included a photo below for reference.
      Thanks in advance for any assistance.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.