• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Help us with our donation goal for a new Chat upgrade!   04/17/2017

Your donations not only help keep the site up and running, but also allows us to expand some functionality and upgrade other features of the site periodically to stay current! We're looking for some community support to help us get a new Chat system (as you know our old Chat is no longer supported by IP.Board). A new system promises to give us many more options and all for fairly little cost, relatively speaking. Please help us reach our April goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
leotychidas

[ASK] realrailways mod on road

11 posts in this topic

I'm confuzzled. Your topic title refers to circles at the end of a road which would be the cul-de-sacs option of a custom install in NAM. Your picture shows a non-matching texture for the rail crossing. The cul-de-sacs can be added by re-running the NAM installer, selecting Custom, and then clicking the radio button to select them. For the texture matching part we'll have to wait for a NAM expert.

i am sorry for the title, what a shame lol

so, there's no option to fix that rrw?

btw thanks for help

1 minute ago, leotychidas said:

i am sorry for the title, what a shame lol

No worries. I see you fixed it. *:thumb:

1 minute ago, leotychidas said:

so, there's no option to fix that rrw?

I imagine there is, but I'm not a guru with NAM. We'll just have to wait until one of them pops in with an official answer. *;)

Just now, CorinaMarie said:

No worries. I see you fixed it. *:thumb:

I imagine there is, but I'm not a guru with NAM. We'll just have to wait until one of them pops in with an official answer. *;)

well, thanks for the answer. i'll be waiting for that :)

Hello Leotychidas

It looks like you have the base level crossings installed for the RealRailway. That is the only one for the RRW in you installation. I can give you the texture number so you can make a Level crossing piece that is too you liking if your in a hurry but NAM 36 should have a few more options.

However there are some new variants coming out with the Automated Re-textureing Project That I am a co contributor too.

This project will change the base texture of the whole network and has a special section for level crossings.

The ones you have where made when the main  maker Willy was in charge. I have taken over the project and will continue to work on it for some time.

So I guess the message here is wait and watch this space.

-eggman121 (NAM Team member)

APSMS, CT14, MeMyself&I and 3 others like this

Actually, the crossing texture you show was almost certainly made by @rivit. Having made the initial RRW release with NAM32, @Swordmaster (Willy), who created RRW went MIA. Unbeknownst to a number of us, he had made many crossing textures, but until around NAM33/34 those that did exist were "lost".

In the interim, there was a pressing need for RRW-compatible crossings and as part of his Rum for RRW mod, Rivit was instrumental in making sure they existed. I also was involved with patching RRW support during that period. These textures made their way into the main NAM mod, but they are not mismatching in any way. The rails, gauge and even the concrete bed was all new and designed specifically for RRW.

Unlike when working with the Maxis and/or other rail styles, texture makers had problems with RRW. Because the rails are too close in colour to the blacks used for many transit networks in the NAM. So the old way of simply layering the rails over the network texture simply didn't give good results. This is why the concrete was added, so the rails don't get completely lost in the texture. Subsequently a complete set of textures based on Willy's intended style have been put together. Once more they include a concrete section, but this is the original vision he had for how such crossings would look:

32602904804_a928496d0c_o.jpg

I am hopeful these will make it into NAM36. The ones shown are part of a upcoming refresh of TGN. These also form the basis for the RRW Reskin crossing textures too.

Depends really, I've seen a lot with Rubber used between the rails here in Germany. Although frankly I barely ever come across a level crossing in my travels.

However, in the case of the RRW Crossings, I thought what you see in the screenshot (no offense to Rivit) simply was of higher quality and more visually pleasing in-game. So I ran with it and spent a lot of time ensure all LHD/RHD US/EU variants are covered. As usual, people will all have their preferences no doubt. But these will be the new default set.

MeMyself&I, matias93, APSMS and 1 other like this

Yes, the "rubber" as you put it, between the rails, is more common here in CA (well, San Diego, at least), though of course numerous variations exist, and old right of way for abandoned rails will sometimes still have the old wooden sleepers for the crossing. In fact, although most of the old rail in SD was simply paved over, or had asphalt laid in between the rails, there is still an area right next to the International Airport that remains untouched (leading into the air freight area) and still has wooden sleepers as the crossing material (as well as other rails that were poorly paved over).

Unfortunately we have a great deal of level crossings, but then again So Cal is hardly a flat, rail friendly place, so it's understandable that avoiding level crossings wouldn't be the highest priority (drivers dealing with train traffic are hardly a concern despite the politicking).

As MGB says, the crossings in RUM were a fill-in because otherwise RRW would have launched without. Concrete slabs embedding rail and separating rail from roadway (often asphalt) was the method around here (OZ) as it allows completely stabilising the rail and the roadway - heavy rain tends to gouge out the road (potholes) gap between concrete strips.  Ultimately I found these ones (as in first image above) too bright and a bit wrong to look at and had in fact made a new set that were grubbier and would have made it into the next RUM if it were not for the decision to take the @swordmaster style above in MGBs shot.

The compromise we have struck is that street crossings - low traffic zones - will be bare rail in street and the rest stabilised with one concrete strip per rail. We think we've got 'em all and they look sufficiently weathered. Being consistent in style, colour and brightness is probably more important than the style in itself.

And, as they say, if someone is keen on making an alt set - gird your loins - there are hundreds of them...  and they are fiddly to make without mistakes.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

•  
  • Similar Content

• By Simmer2
      SM2 Abandoned Train Stop.
      This train stop has been sitting in my hard drive for too long. Time to release it!.
      Best plopped in those seedy parts of town....or industrial areas perhaps.
      Plop cost 3000
      Bulldoze cost 300
      Power req 44
      Capacity 7500
      It still acts as a passenger station plus it will let freight trains go through it.
      No dependencies and as a bonus it is also Maxis vanilla rail compatible.
      Works like a charm!
      Enjoy.
      Simmer2
    • By CT14
      Welcome to the development thread for CT14 lots and BAT. Here's a quick list of current releases so you don't have to scroll through the thread to find them all:
      North American Freight Sidings
      Llama Terminal Company
      SABER LA River
      Troy Gasholder Building
      FAB Diagonal Industrials

Lowrider Props
      In-N-Out Lowrider Show
      North American Freight Sidings original first post:
      Inspired by the lack of existing lots representing protypical North American freight railroad sidings, I've created a system of lots that can be used to create eye-candy rail sidings. They are transit-enabled for appearance. I have been encouraged to share my progress in a dedicated thread by helpful feedback in the Show Us Your Railroads general thread, especially from SimCoug, T-Wrecks, raynev1. And the whole thing wouldn't exist without the Jestarr props.

Features:
      18 ploppable lots for different railcar types on double track rail Transit enabled connections to make the lots fit in seamlessly anywhere Three prop families to provide a variety from Jestarr's boxcars, intermodal and general merchandise freight ("Junkers") RRW compatibility Known issues:
      Transparent texture bug as described here http://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/42425-transparent-texture-issue/ The lots need custom icons created and added, through Reader as described here: http://www.wiki.sc4devotion.com/index.php?title=Tutorial:Inserting_a_custom_menu_icon_with_the_Ilive_Reader Future development ideas:
      Single Track Rail lots don't match exactly when using textures extracted from the RAM .dat, and I probably need permission to use them separately in any case. So, STR sidings may be a separate release at some point. Four-track lots would be prototypical for large yard trackage, but don't exist in RRW. Custom textures might allow some eye-candy four-track lots in future, this would resemble an updated subset of NCD. Dependencies:
      BSCMegaProps JES Vol01 (v1.0) - http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=342 For RRW, you need the NAM with RRW enabled. Download:
      Please report bugs here. Thanks!
    • By Simmer2
      As requested by @MissVanleider (Thus the MV on the lot name)
      This is the smaller version of SM2 Heritage Roundhouse. (Lot size 14X14)
      The new distinctive name is SM2_MV_Heritage Roundhouse. (Lot size = 8X14)
      Cost to plop = 30,000
      Cost to bulldoze = 3,000
      Monthly maintenance = 220
      Provides 34 jobs.
      This version will not allow trains to pass through however you can still connect the rail and street stubs to the game networks for a better visual effect.
      Dependencies
      The original SM2 Heritage Roundhouse and its dependencies.
      http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3500
      or
      If you don't want the original lot to show up in your rail menu then just remove "SM2 Heritage Roundhouse.dat" from your plugin.
      The rest must remain in the plugin in order to have no issues with SM2_MV_Heritage Roundhouse.
      Enjoy
      Simmer2
    • By Simmer2
      Hello everyone.
      I present you with SM2 Heritage Roundhouse.
      In the past, rail roundhouses were extensively used all over North America as a repair facility for trains, specifically locomotives. They were designed with that characteristic roundish design in order to take less real estate when building a train repair facility. Coupled with a massive turntable, they greatly decreased a rail yard footprint.  There are a few still in operation (very few) and they are mostly used to house old and retired locomotives donated by railway companies. Sort of like a museum for engines. Some have been converted into retail space while keeping the nostalgic feel of days gone past by displaying old engines and equipment on the front of the building.              
      This lot represents months of preparations and lots of specific props making. Together with a detailed and realistic custom base texture, I tried to capture reality as much as possible.
      Vester's latest train engines prop pack fits this lot perfectly due to the many angles he released. Also with the usage of a clever trick, you are now able to pick different textures (companies liveries) from 5 different texture packs he released along the engine prop pack.
      Once you install vester's prop pack you must choose one of his texture colors in order for the locomotives to show properly.
      The lot is 14X14 and is designed to allow either freight and passenger trains to cross the DTR section at the bottom of the lot, the other rail exits/entries will only connect visually and so will the street stubs.
      Plop cost 45,000
      Bulldoze cost 4,500
      Power consumed 190
      Water consumed 120
      Maintenance cost 220/month
      It will also provide 34 jobs.
      You will find it under the rail menu.
      This lot makes use of an extensive array of timed props with multiple angle designs in order to achieve a sort of animation with HD props. There are also many other timed props so that the lot looks livelier throughout the day. Action starts at 7am and keeps going until 6pm (closing time) after that time the lot will look empty because everyone has gone home but for one person and one vehicle, the night security guard on the left lower rail hut area.
      From time to time you may see overlapping timed props, especially at the turntable sequence, this is due to game lag and depending on the speed of your processor you may or may not see it. Wait a few game days and it will correct itself.
      Dependency list.
      BSC - VIP girafe beeches (v1.0)  http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2995
      BSC - VIP Girafe Walnut trees (v1.0) http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3461
      BSC - VIP girafe common spruces (v1.0) http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2945
      BSC - VIP girafe berries (v1.0) http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2888
      BSC - VIP girafe chestnuts (v1.0) http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3049
      BSC - VIP girafe narcissus (v1.0) http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2964
      BSC - VIP girafe sparaxis (v1.0) http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2980
      BSC BAT Props - T1 Vol3.dat http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1764
      SM2 Prop Pack Vol2 http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3434
      SM2 Prop Pack Vol3 http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3499
      VDK GEVo Props.dat http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3472
      VDK Proppack 3 - GEvo Engine Textures Vol 3E http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3477

I'm including one of the texture packs vester released on the dependency list. However you can choose any of the 5 he made.
      Lot custom texture and timed props exemplars are included.
      A big thank you goes to rivit for creating a single template for vester's out of the ordinary exemplars in order for me to make timed ones. Thank you Ron!
      Also, thank you vester for the engine prop pack and girafe for the ever beautiful trees and greenery models!!
      Enjoy
      Simmer2
    • By Fantozzi
      Named this way because it should be used with the Real Railway (NAM).

(07/04/2016) - This file is out of date, please download it's replacement here instead:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      IMPORTANT (07/04/2016)
      The included textures are no longer supported. By the time I did these lots, there were no RRW textures around. Now the RRW is well supported. To reduce the amount of dependencies I strongly recommend to NOT use these textures anymore on future projects. Use Simmer2 textures instead.
      I will upload a new version soon - based on these textures.
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

First, thanks:
      Thanks to Magneto for giving me the needed texture ID range.
      Thanks to Swordmaster to allow me to bungle his great rail textures.

Second, dependencies:

BSC Textures Vol 02.dat
      BSC Mega Props - JES Vol01.dat
      BSCMegaProps - JES Vol05.dat
      PEG-CDK3-SP_SEAPORT_SUPER-PAK.dat
      SFBT_Eisenbahn_Props.dat
      RRW_lottex_FZ.dat (overlay RRW-textures, included in this download)

Third, preface

This small project was strongly inspired by the „SFBT Rangierbahnhof“ by Royal (http://kurier.simcityplaza.de/details.php?file=1020) which I used to built up big railyards. I like them very much. With the new NAM and the Real Railway by swordmaster this lots didn't give good lookiing results as they use the textures by north country dude.

But I like the new RRW giving much smoother results. So in march (2014) I started to make a railyard fitting the RRW.
      I needed to make overlay textures – it isn't that difficult, but I got no good results by editing Sowrdmasters textures. I screw them up, started again and screw them up again.
      So this is important, in case you want to use the included overlay textures for your own projects: they are some kind of messy and not always giving good results. I wrote a documentation to show at least the idear behind. It's included as a PDF. If you're not interested in using the textures furthermore you can delete this pdf.

Fourth, content:

1 x functional freight station, size 5 x 7, capacity 6000 (tons per minute?)

4 x single shunting tracks (right english word?), size 1 x 9. They can be connected to the rail system, but have no transport function. They have a small positive effect on economies.

2 x shunting tracks with junctions, size 3 x 8, can be used alone or in combination with the single tracks.

2 x filler lots, size 1x1.

1 x texture package with 40 overlay texture pieces conforming the RRW.

1 x pdf-documentation for the textures.

Five, assorted things:

As the train models didn't have nightlights except of the freight station I left the lots without light. There are german engines on these lots. I'm aware this can't satisfy everybody. I didn't find a solution to make it look „international“ (like seaports or airports can). But feel free to replace the engines. There are many timed props on the lots. I wasn't able to take a picture where you can see all of them.  

UPDATE TO 1.0 (22.12.2014):

Changed Rep-Value in Transit Switch Traffic Capacity to "0" (for MAC-Users).