• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Need your donations for May & June!   05/01/2017

We need your support to help keep Simtropolis online. We also need a little bit more this month to enhance the new chat with some features, such as mobile support! Please consider a donation today if you can help out, it would mean a lot! And we'll send you a little gift in return.  Help us reach our May goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
    • Dirktator

About our affiliation with GOG.com   05/23/2017

Simtropolis is now an affiliate of GOG.com! When you use one of our affiliate links to GOG.com, all it means is that Simtropolis has a chance to earn a small commission from any purchases you might make. So if you see something that tickles your fancy, please use our affiliate links and by doing so, you'll help support Simtropolis! Thanks!
Hamish

info
Trixie Nominations Now CLOSED!

39 posts in this topic

All right, two different award ceremonies? I simply assumed 2015/16 would be bleneded into one award show.

Also, two quick things:

1. Your " Submit Trixie Nominations Here!" link sends me to an error page, code 2F176/1. EDIT: FIXED! :D

2. What is the date that nominations close?

Hamish likes this

26 minutes ago, Haljackey said:

1. Your " Submit Trixie Nominations Here!" link sends me to an error page, code 2F176/1

This should be all sorted out and it is now ready for everyone to start submitting nominations :D 

27 minutes ago, Haljackey said:

Was just finalising that as the post was going live, they will close April 3rd. Should give everyone plenty of time :party: 

1 hour ago, Haljackey said:

All right, two different award ceremonies? I simply assumed 2015/16 would be bleneded into one award show.

They will be announced at the same time, maybe even in the same thread (whatever is more accessible).

However, there will be separate awards for both 2015 and 2016.

E.g.

BAT of the Year 2015
BAT of the Year 2016

Etc.

code 2F176/1

That would mean a llama got locked in the server room, so the forum went into self-preservation mode. :ninja:

It's now been carefully moved to safety, and all should now be in working order!

Yes, April 3rd is the closure date, so 21 days from now.

So everyone knows to the minute second, a countdown timer will also be added shortly... :ohyes:

EDIT: Done!

Hamish likes this

Congrats to all those who put in a lot of hard work behind the scenes to get us here.

Trixies Party! :bunny:

Best of luck to everyone.

Hamish likes this

It's here! :rofl:

I have a quick question. For a category such as Modd of the Year, how should I go about nominating members if it's a project that clearly has multiple contributors? Do I just create a topic for Modd of the Year with each individual member?

Hamish likes this

47 minutes ago, kingofsimcity said:

For a category such as Modd of the Year, how should I go about nominating members if it's a project that clearly has multiple contributors? Do I just create a topic for Modd of the Year with each individual member?

Either nominate the team, or nominate a member and write in the description that it's for the entire team. We'll work with teams to make sure an awards resulting from nominations go to all members.

raynev1 and matias93 like this

I'll be at a conference all next week. I plan to use some of the down time to browse the previous content and nominate. :ninja:

6 hours ago, Easy Bakes said:

Some one should Nominate Annoymoose

I'm sure Trixie would want to honour him in some way. That llama was always very fond of him. 

Just a few things to clarify about the nomination process (also added to the OP):

• Multiple or single threads for nominations?
    Posting each nomination in its own thread is preferred, as this helps with the processing.
    Really though, it's up to you. If posting in a single thread is easier for you to manage or edit, that's perfectly fine. At the end of nominations, the Llama Crew will attempt to count anything inside the forum.

• For both years, how many nominations per user?
    In each year, you may nominate any individual member up to 3 times.
    So this means for both 2015 & 2016 combined, you could nominate someone up to 6 times.

• Who can I nominate?
    Any Simtropolis user (member or staff) can be nominated for any award. The processing will determine whether a given user is eligible.

• How many custom "Ad Hoc" awards may I nominate?
    As many as you'd like!
    Feel free to be creative with the title & description if a default award isn't suitable for what you have in mind.

• Is there a limit to how many nominations I can submit?
    Yes, the sky. :8)

Anything else we'll be happy to answer...

With still just over a week to go:

I'm pleased to report the total nominations have now reached the century mark...

14RDzzy.png

Thanks everyone and keep them coming! :thumb:

matias93 and Hamish like this

On 3/27/2017 at 5:17 AM, Cyclone Boom said:

I'm pleased to report the total nominations have now reached the century mark...

14RDzzy.png

Thanks everyone and keep them coming! :thumb:

Wow, we have quickly passed that mark! Keep it up guys :8)

Takingyouthere likes this

Hadn't too much time lately to go elbow deep on the last two years of CJing, but will find some time before the nomination period ends. Expect an increase of 20 or so on the counter from me.

Looks like we've just passed 300 nominations!

There's just over a day left to submit your nominations,  so if your still waiting,  now is the best time to nominate :thumb:

*PHEW*, it's been a busy few weeks of RL here for me... but I just managed to get my nominations in today.

To all those yet to make a nomination, please consider a little of your time to acknowledge those who make the community what it is. Not long left.

Fantozzi, Hamish and Cyclone Boom like this

I hope I'll manage to squeeze my nominations in when I'm back from work. :boggle:

EDIT: Ok, that's 13 down, approximately another time as many to go... I wonder if we'll make it far beyond 400? Do you guys & gals think 450 will be reached?

Hamish likes this

Nominations Extended!

OK, as you may have noticed, due to a surge of recent nominations, we've decided to extend the deadline another 48 hours. So if you were planning on submitting any last night and ran out of time, here's a bit more leeway to do so.

This means nominations will now close at 22:00 EDT tomorrow (Wednesday). :8)

(The absolute final, final deadline)

_Michael and JP Schriefer like this

56 minutes ago, Cyclone Boom said:

Nominations Extended!

OK, as you may have noticed, due to a surge of recent nominations, we've decided to extend the deadline another 48 hours. So if you were planning on submitting any last night and ran out of time, here's a bit more leeway to do so.

This means nominations will now close at 22:00 EDT tomorrow (Wednesday). :8)

Cool, definitely a good idea. Btw I've added few more nom's in the placeholder threads I had set up before so please check my page for updated threads if you haven't yet :) 

22 hours ago, T Wrecks said:

Well, I'm exhausted now. Got 26 nominations out - still not half of what I think would deserve a Trixie, but it's the best I managed. :dead:

Agreed, it's exhausting! But much deserved as well. The good thing about putting in a large amount of nominations is that it really forces you to take a look at a wider range of work because of the nomination limit per person(3). But the biggest problem is that we're dealing with is two-years worth of trixies. Though I get the feeling that 2015 will be probably under represented.

I know I argued in favor of it and of course it's too late to change it this time around but I think there needs to be some trimming in future years. One-hundred-and-one trixie's is a bit much imo *:lol: The good thing is I think there is perfect way of pruning out which trixie's categories might be not be needed. Currently we have 437 nomination for a total of 202 trixie's(over two years) which equates to just over 2 nom's per trixie. However some categories are going to have a lot of nominations, such as the best BAT & BATer, best LOT & LOTer, and many of the CJ categories. While others will have very few, possibly even none and that will tell us exactly which trixie's to trim out.

42 minutes ago, Takingyouthere said:

Btw I added about a half dozen more in the placeholder threads I had set up before(might have a couple more today) so please check my page for updated threads if you haven't yet

Think I've got them all. :yes:

They're being counted per thread, and then adding those with multiple nominations inside (I added a special tag on these to find them easily). So as long as it's posted inside, it'll be included in the total. We may see the final count amended slightly once everything is validated, although the current figure should be fairly accurate.

42 minutes ago, Takingyouthere said:

I think there needs to be some trimming in future years.

Since this Trixies is very much a learning experience (especially with the awards list), there's certainly room to tweak the format going forward. Much like the first series of a TV programme, there are mistakes to learn from and refinements possible. For the awards themselves, yes, it's possible that far from all will receive any nominations, and then clusters for the more general awards. I guess a lot here depends on the types of content for each year. As we are dealing with both years, the broader list hopefully has provided greater choice.

But for sure, I guess we'll have to see how it plays out. There may yet be a few surprises... ;)

1 hour ago, Takingyouthere said:

I know I argued in favor of it and of course it's too late to change it this time around but I think there needs to be some trimming in future years.

We will for sure be doing some trimming for Trixies 2017. But it is so hard to get that balance right, 2013 and 2014 had lists which were probably too short,  2015 and 2016 have lists which are probably too long. I think we'll be able to find that balance for 2017. Either way,  the community discussion we had helped us to reform what the base awards are, now we can use nominations to decide which ones are appropriate to continue on to the next ceremony. 

Nominations Now CLOSED!   :read:

After some more late nominations, the final unratified total stands at:

tggfHa8.png

Thanks to all who took part!

Next begins the counting and validation process, followed of course by the awards ceremony.

There isn't an estimated timescale of how long this may take. It very much varies depending on the types of nominations, and also the extent of background checks required. However one thing is for certain, with the Llama Crew in full force, all will be revealed much sooner than the 5 months needed to announce the 2014 Trixies! :lol:

In the meantime, feel free to post any comments in anticipation below...

How was your experience with the new nomination process?

I'd be curious to see what the delineation was between 2015 noms and 2016 noms. 
Would it be possible to see at a glance if the 528 nominations were split fairly evenly between those two years?

Hamish likes this

At a glance we can't be sure, but we will for sure let you know what the split is when the counting has finished!

Even if 2015 gets a third of the nominations,  that's much better than 2014. But we will let you know what the numbers are when we have them!

There were a lot of default awards this year, we came to these by getting suggestions from the community, taking the ones which were suggested the most, and then pairing these down by staff consensus on what makes the most sense to include. Going forward we will be reducing these again, this time we will use nomination counts to help us make this decision. I think, as an experiment, the list building worked really well, thank you to everyone who helped out. Now it's on us to continue the development of these lists so that they stay appropriate to the content being created and nominated for.

Now, off to start counting! :read:

Yeah, we made it past 500! *:party:

On the award categories, I also noticed some difficulties when nominating. I'm just thinking aloud here now, but maybe it would make sense to follow up the Trixies with a discussion about how the categories worked out for the voters - what was hard to understand or which categories were hard to tell apart from another? Now the impressions are still fresh. In the run-up to the Trixies 2017, much of what has been noticed now may already be forgotten.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

•  
  • Similar Content

• By Cyclone Boom

General Feedback Thread - 

To help pass the time until the Awards Ceremony, here's a place to share your experiences of the new Trixies format. 
      What went well, and how can they be improved for next year? 

As you're likely aware, this Trixies introduced various changes. Not only being the first time multiple years (2015 & 2016) were combined, but notably nominations were accepted in a special forum, allowing you to post and edit them in private. Based on your ideas, the Default Awards List was also created, and intended to provide a suitable baseline to cover the wide range of site contributions.
      In summary, here's a few possible possible topics of discussion:

Award Categories
        Total available default awards: 101 Custom Content: 34 City Journals: 40 Community: 27
        Too little?  Just right?  Too many? Spread between categories. Coverage of types/themes? Any confusion or conflicting awards? Did the descriptions help or hinder?

Nomination Process
        How did you find it compared to years gone by? Were the instructions clear and easy to follow? Was it helpful to edit and view your nominations? Any issues along the way?
        Duration of nomination period: 23 days (including the 2 day extension). Too short?  Just right?  Too long?

Trixies Build-up
        Interviews To what extent were they helpful / enlightening? Types of questions asked? Format / presentation. More for next year?
        Content lists (2015 / 2016) Did they help with your decision making? Were they a useful reference? Should all content have been included in the lists? Grouping per author or per category?
        Community discussion How could this work better in future?
        Anything else which could be done in build-up?

Trixies Promotion
        Too sparse?  Just right?  Too excessive? When did you first become aware of the Trixies this time? How useful was the info banner at the top?  Should anything else have been included? Were the countdown timers helpful? Visibility of the Trixies forum. Should any other banners have been added? Homepage features -- were they useful or too repetitive?

Anything else?
        Post away!  
      We're always looking to improve the Trixies, and this was really a learning experience for everyone. Hopefully it worked well as a comeback after being absent for such a long time. But like anything, there's always room for improvement going forward.
      So if you've any comments or suggestions (even not on the above list), big or small, please post below and we'll take them into consideration. Feel free to post multiple times in this thread to your heart's content.
      And of course, you don't have to answer all the above questions -- they're just pointers.
      Thanks!
    • By Hamish
      As part of the upcoming Trixie Season, the Staff team have been interviewing various prominent members of the community and asking them about their favourite STEX files and City Journals over the past two years, inspiration and creative workflow, along with life outside of Simtropolis. So without further adieu, please welcome our next guest @simmaster07, which many of you will seen around the forums, or you may have downloaded one of his many mods.

An Interview with Simmaster07

Hi Simmaster07, how are you?
      Fairly busy but otherwise pretty well, thanks for asking!

What is your earliest memory of the SimCity?
      Oh jeez, I was tiny back then, maybe six years old. I think I was walking through Target or some sort of department store and I was bored, so I dragged my dad to the video games section while my mom did some shopping. For some reason SimCity 3000 was the game that caught my attention, and I guess my parents had no issue with it since it was pretty innocuous.
      Of course as soon as I found the disaster menu I spent a good amount of time spawning locusts and toxic clouds. So much for learning about city planning — though I did manage to get SimCity 4 not long afterward, and that was a pretty good long-term investment.

Has this game helped inspire you at all in real life endeavours?
      Not directly, but I did learn a lot from Simtropolis after finding it through the SimCity BBS. A lot of aspects of modding tied into my interest in programming in some way, and some of my early content was making tools for things like creating NAM packages for Mac installations or automating city backups. In retrospect a lot of the code was absolutely awful, and that content is deleted now since I didn't feel confident that it would function properly now. Still, that was a big part of the process in allowing me to learn more about programming and create the more advanced mods I've made recently.

Recently you've been pushing the boundaries of what mods can bring to the game, specifically around features which were left out of the game. What inspires you to create these mods? How much time and effort goes into researching and developing these files?
      The effort to get DLLs capable of modding the game to work has been an effort that dates back to over six years ago. I was in way over my head but heard that Paul Pedriana was the one of the development leads for SimCity and figured I'd email him about how to implement DLLs like the extra cheats mod.

To my complete and utter surprise, after a bit of back and forth, he did respond with some source code. It was incomplete, but Paul said that it should've been enough to pull it off. My main motivation, up until I got something working, was trying to decipher how to take this code and and get a working program. It took years upon years of accumulating knowledge about programming and debugging to figure it out, and it definitely seems to have been worth it.
      Perhaps most helpful was the community's prior efforts to learn about the game's internals, and I stumbled upon a post from GoaSkinmentioning how the PowerPC Mac port of the game had a lot of debugging information left in the final version. Because of how the game's architecture was modeled, this was actually incredibly helpful in learning about the Windows version and the generic APIs, so I'm extremely grateful that the community documented their findings as well.

You also created a patch for SimCity, a game more than ten years old,  which fixes a substantial issue that was only found after significant modding. What amount of work goes into finding a fix for such a frustrating crash which so many of us experience?
      Again, it takes a lot of cumulative knowledge from both personal experience and the community. SC4Fix requires some understanding of how assembly language works and how to debug a program without any reference code before you can start to build it. Once you have that, it's not a terrible amount of work to build that patch — especially since the TE lot crash is pretty isolated from the rest of the program — but it's still a good amount of work to get to that point.

How rewarding is it when you have this idea and toil away until you eventually get the patch working?
      The very first thing I did when I got SC4Fix working, even in a primitive and virtually unreleasable form, was post on the forum, because I was incredibly excited about the prospect of fixing one of the biggest remaining issues with the game and sharing that with as many people as I could, so it was very rewarding to say the least. Even now, over a year after having released it, it still comes up in other threads with people hailing it as a must-have mod now, which is pretty heartwarming.  

Your work is a source of inspiration for many.  Who's work inspires you?
      Insofar as SC4 modding goes, I've always been inspired by the work of some of my friends and fellow modders here — @Wahrheit, @meister1235, @z1 are a few that come to mind, as well as and especially the NAM Team, which has been here iterating on their work for as long as I've been here, if not longer. They and many other people here piqued my interest in modding the game, and even though I haven't been able to get into BATing or network modding I am glad I've been able to carve out my own niche and contribute that way.
      More broadly, I've been inspired by entrepreneurs like Bill Gates who managed to lead revolutions in how we live and have given back to the global community after achieving that kind of success, as well as programmers like Dennis Ritchie and Linus Torvalds who haven't made billions of dollars but have still contributed with their code and their openness to and advocacy for sharing information.
      (I couldn’t find a way to @ mention bill gates  )

A lot of the work on mods happens behind the scenes, who has been someone that's helped you the most during development in the past two years?
      I only know of one other person who's tried to pull off DLL modding, and they acted independently for the most part, so I can't say there's anyone or anything in the past two years specifically that has helped me. Unfortunately most resources I used go even further back, especially the forum threads that I used for reference.

Do you get to sit down and actually play the game very much anymore?
      Sometimes on really long plane rides, but I find myself more fascinated by the game's internals than by the game itself now and so I don't ever really play the game so much as I have it running in the background while I use a debugger and a code editor to dig deeper.
      I used to have a huge Plugins folder with over ten gigabytes of content, but looking at it now it seems I just have the NAM, a few lots, and the extra cheats DLL, which is probably a good analogy for how much I play the game properly now.

What's a quality piece of work from the last two years which you think has been overlooked?
      I wish I could answer this but I haven't been watching the forums or the STEX closely at all. Generally speaking I notice @CorinaMarie and @rsc204 contributing regularly and probably deserve some recognition, but I might also be just a tad biased since they've tagged me at least a couple of times and their posts usually give me an excuse to investigate some part of the game internals I hadn't considered looking at before. 

Has here been a STEX file review/comment from the past two years which you absolutely love, or find incredibly funny?
      Not particularly, but it is also generally nice to see people like @T Wrecks consistently offering positive and constructive comments.

Lastly, what would be your perfect Sunday?
      A good Sunday would probably just be doing something new with my friends.

Thank you for joining us! We can’t wait for the opening of the nominations which is now just a couple of days away 
    • By Hamish
      As part of the upcoming Trixie Season, the Staff team have been interviewing various prominent members of the community and asking them about their favorite STEX files and City Journals over the past two years, inspriation and creative workflow, along with life outside of Simtropolis. So without further ado, please welcome our next guest @Prophet42, a long time Simtropolis member and moderator. You may have seen him around the forums at some point over his 13 years here with us.

An Interview with Prophet42
      Hi Prophet42, how are you today? 
      I'm doing great.  Justing relaxing by the fire.

What do the trixies mean to you?  
      The trixies are a chance to showcase the great talent we have in the community.  For me, it is a great chance see content from members that I may have missed and also inspire me to build better cities.

What's the best part of celebrating others achievements over the past year? 
      The best part is that it gives well deserved recognition to members for their contribution and hopefully inspires them to continue creating great content.

How did you first discover SimCity?  
      Back in the mid 90's, a friend of mine recommended SC2000.  So I went out a bought a copy.  I have been addicted ever since.  By far, SC4 is my favorite city simulator, and probably my favorite game of all time.

What would be the most substantial project that has left a meaningful impression on you from the past two years? Why is that?  
      @Ln X city journal My SC4 CJ Scrapbook has really made an impression on me.  His attention to detail, and realism has made me strive to be more creative when building my own cities.

What's a quality piece of work from the last two years which you think has been overlooked? 
      I think Modern Row Home #4 from @gutterclub has been overlooked.  It is a nice detailed residential piece that doesn't seem to have been downloaded all that much.

Has anyone's content surprised you from the last two years?  In what way was this a surprise? 
      @Diego Del Llano has uploaded some great content in the last two years.  What kind of suprised me is that the quality and variety of the BATs has been good from the beginning.

Simtropolis is organized into ‘player' and ‘builder' categories. Regarding the ‘player' section, do you have any favourite CJers that you enjoy following? And what piece of content from them in the past two years would you recommend to others? 
      For CJers, I enjoy @Ln X's SC4 scrapbook journal and @korver's True Earth journal. 

As far as content, I would highly recommend @madhatter106 Middies Office Pack 7.  It fits seamlessly in with the rest of SC4 buildings and provides essential C$$ buildings.

Who is an up-and-coming member that we should look out for next year?  
      I think the recent work of @Aarsgevogelte is exceptional.  I would look for continued great work from him in the following year.

You spend a lot of time commenting on forums, specifically forum games. Who is someone which always has a funny or witty remark?  
      @Toothless Stitch always seems to be able to provide humor and wit to the games.

What forums games these past two years have been exceptionally fun? And are there any that you'd recommend people new to the forum games section get involved in to introduce themselves to the concept? 
      I especially like "Why should the person above you be banned?" and "How is the person above you going to die?"

A good game to get started with would be "Guess who’s Next"

Lastly, if there was anyplace you'd want to go, where would you go and why? 
      Australia.  I am fascinated with the culture, geography, and unique life forms.

Thanks for your time, here's to a great trixies season!