• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for July   06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
Fantozzi

[Development] The Day Major Fantozzi went Farming

156 posts in this topic

@T Wrecks Sorry, my answer yesterday was maybe inappropriate. I didn't try it for real - my thought was that on the borders of the field the animations may extend the tile and the cows will walk around on the streets around the fields. Imagine this I dropped the idear to use animations. But - and this caused my answer - I didn't try it for real and there is no serious argument to not to try it.

But I urgently need a break from this cow thing. I'll do some farms and return later on the cow topic (which doesn't mean in any way idears aren't welcome anymore). 

[EDIT]

So here's another animal, yesterday, watching TV, got this idear:

trout farm:

fishfarm.jpg

OcramsRzr, nos.17, raynev1 and 3 others like this

Good! Simple but effective.

Only one detail: i guess nobody would take the work of planting and maintaining grass around those pools, so maybe it would be better to use the dirt texture that's used on the rural sidewalks...

nos.17, Silur, MeMyself&I and 1 other like this

Well, that's a bit frightening, but i guess it goes to the point of super massive agro development

Silur likes this

18 hours ago, matias93 said:

Well, that's a bit frightening, but i guess it goes to the point of super massive agro development

In Chapter 'Farming in CAM' in the manual for the Colossus Addon Mod InvisiChem writes:

"Stage 9 and 10 Farms
This should be the futuristic and fantasy farms. Huge greenhouses, High Rise grain silos, etc. Imagination is the only limit to what is possible. Fields should be completely done away with at this point. Development will not begin until the industrial regional population reaches (9) 309,682 and (10) 694,592. These lots are CAPPED by all Stage CAPS."

Goldenberg Tobaccos and the Gorgonzola Sisters (you should imagine the Gorgonzola Sisters as a blend of 'The Waltons' and '2 Broke Girls' and the lot is conglomerated, maybe skew-whiff on purpose):

GoldenbergGorgonzola.jpg

MushyMushy, Simmer2, Silur and 4 others like this

Looking great! The Gorgonzola lot might be a little crowded on the anchor, but the blend of elements seems good.

Crops do look very nice on my screen, not too glaring at all.

I am curious about the molecular hydrogen production facility - is there a particular prototype you are following?

I did a little bit of searching and found this neat little setup - it may simply be powering the genset, however.

Wind-Driven-Hydrogen-Production-Plant.jp

Fantozzi and matias93 like this

Oh my gosh, I read it backwards then! So those are vertical hydro gardens. I like it, maybe just a bit more variation in the rows, like blank spots?

Fantozzi likes this

3 hours ago, matias93 said:

and have I praised the crops already?

Blofeld Barn - crops are Cycledogg (seasonal wheat),  Vanderbeek Brewery - girafe wheat.

2 hours ago, CT14 said:

I am curious about the molecular hydrogen production facility - is there a particular prototype you are following?

I once read a SF-novel by Harry Harrison 'Soylent Green'  but it's a badly written book. There was a film with Charlton Heston after this novel that, in my opinion, is far better than the book.  The atmosphere of this film is my inspiriation for level 9 and 10, they will be kind of SF. The name, well, it's like 'hyper field generator'. Just to imagine something very advanced ...

Also on stage 9 and 10 there will be only 2 or 3 different 'farms' ... facilities - so they all will look quite the same. Farm zones may look like desserts made of steel and concrete. They will be very different from the other 8 stages. Those SF-facilities won't appear before.

I spent much time on level 3 (highest maxis level) and I will spend some time again on level 5 (highest SPAM level) with greater diversity. Level 4 will be different with almost 1:1  of 'fields only lots' and farm lots. Then again level 6, I think level 6 will be mainly dedicated to timber industry. InvisiCVhem, in his CAM manual, gave me some inspirations.

raynev1, MeMyself&I, APSMS and 2 others like this

7 hours ago, Fantozzi said:

I spent much time on level 3 (highest maxis level) and I will spend some time again on level 5 (highest SPAM level) with greater diversity.

That is awesome . I use SPAM , so levels 3 - 5 will be in a higher demand . And some as field only sounds great too .

I narrowed the field tracks as @rivit suggested. Please keep in mind they are only some cosmetic pieces not to setup a network but to make divisors between fields. I tried to use some mmps on them.

Now - in which menu I should put them? Actually I have them in the water menu but this gives the water view when using them. I don't like them in the park menu as the park menu is already so crowded. And they don't really belong in the network menues.

Any suggestion?

fieldtracks2.jpg

Simmer2, matias93, raynev1 and 4 others like this

On 21.4.2017 at 7:03 AM, CT14 said:

I like it, maybe just a bit more variation in the rows, like blank spots?

I didn't try it yet, but I think you could do something similar like I have in mind with the field tracks - but on those industrial farms you could use Bipins grunge road instead, contained here:

And put some grunge road in between the vertical farm towers.

Farmfields - to my knowledge - are always 1 job on one tile - so on cam stage 10 it even doesn't make much sense to have large fields as the population/job densitiy is much higher than farm fields provide. That's, I think, why InvisiChem suggested on this level the lot should cover most of the zone.

CT14 and MeMyself&I like this

1 hour ago, Fantozzi said:

Now - in which menu I should put them?

What about the energy menu? Isn't coherent at all, but that one is normally empty and I think it hasn't an special view.

In any case, if the set is too big (i.e. more than 15 ploppable pieces) it would be advisable to make a DAMN menu to download, and an MML.

CT14 likes this

@Fantozzi Dang! I was working on something similar but model based so that it would include diagonals for perfect fit and with custom made shrubs and trees...oh well. Great set!

I would create an MML like I did for my pipe set and drop it in the landmark menu but put the pieces in the park menu. They will only appear when you drop the MML.

Simmer2

Fantozzi likes this

Oh, and about the pieces, maybe you can take some inspiration from the SFBT park sets for the paths, they are very simple but much smoother than the traditional 90° turn.

Fantozzi likes this

4 hours ago, Fantozzi said:

Farm fields - to my knowledge - are always 1 job on one tile - so on cam stage 10 it even doesn't make much sense to have large fields as the population/job densitiy is much higher than farm fields provide. That's, I think, why InvisiChem suggested on this level the lot should cover most of the zone.

Farm fields can have as many workers per tile as you desire but typically have 1-4.

Fantozzi likes this

1 hour ago, Simmer2 said:

@Fantozzi Dang! I was working on something similar but model based so that it would include diagonals for perfect fit and with custom made shrubs and trees...oh well. Great set!

Not shure if you can still plopp mmps over it, if you're doing it as models?

1 hour ago, matias93 said:

Oh, and about the pieces, maybe you can take some inspiration from the SFBT park sets for the paths, they are very simple but much smoother than the traditional 90° turn.

Using 2-tile pieces in between the farm fields and then again 1-tile pieces will make the farm field look verry tattered, I think. The track itself may  look smoother but the edges of the lot still will be an edge and not smoothen the same. Those curves, in between the farm fields - like shown in the picture - don't really make sense. They may be used more like corner pieces around the field. Making a complex network is far beyond my scope

matias93 likes this

46 minutes ago, OcramsRzr said:

Farm fields can have as many workers per tile as you desire but typically have 1-4.

Well, I didn't care much about this - as to me it doesn't feel very realistic to have the fields crowded with workers. So - what would you suggest for the higher CAM levels - the vertical farms f.e. - should there be more workers per tile then?

2 hours ago, Fantozzi said:

Well, I didn't care much about this - as to me it doesn't feel very realistic to have the fields crowded with workers. So - what would you suggest for the higher CAM levels - the vertical farms f.e. - should there be more workers per tile then?

If you're going for high tech farms with very few actual differences at that level you may want to have fewer jobs but they would be much higher paying jobs.  Farms of this level of advancement would most certainly have engineers, technicians, biologists, chemical biologists, botanists, and possibly even veterinarians and vet techs as opposed to typical laborers.  Many more advanced farms currently have these professionals on their payrolls already.  They also use more machines and less intensive labor but there are skilled technicians who run and maintain the machines and computers.

I love what you've done so far and where you're going with all this!  It also seems as though there are a lot of helpful people in the community who are eager to see this through with you and I think that is just awesome!  I love how @Simmer2 is just itching to build some cool stuff for your farming visions.  You're definitely giving the whole farming aspect of the game a lot of well deserved and long overdue love.

Your visions garnered from Harry Harrison are great and I had to smile when you said that because I see it too.  Keeping in mind though that "Soylent Green" was a movie loosely based on Harrison's book "More room, more room!" and they were, in essence, two completely different stories, the concept of a dark and gnarly but technologically advanced future were the middle ground for both and you definitely grabbed that concept with your Hydro-Molecular Plant.  It's still farming, just in a futuristic and less natural way.  I've always been rather fond of the idea of futuristic farming being similar to the Douglas Trumbull movie, "Silent Running" starring Bruce Dern with it's geodesic domes keeping the botanicals going strong, even in deep space.  They could be a bright spot here on a rather dark and dismal futuristic Earth too.

I really like the narrowed paths a lot.  Good idea there!  Veldenbeek Brewery is top notch and I think everyone will want that somewhere in their cities.  I'm very happy that you have taken this on and I'm eager to see more!  :thumb:

Fantozzi, raynev1 and matias93 like this

@MeMyself&I - thank you for the kind words. I already forgot how I got into this mess. I think it was because CAM farming itself seemed not well organized to me - to cover all grow stages with downloads in a balanced way (to have diversity on all levels and to have some kind of development through the different stages). Instead of searching and collecting for a month all around the net, I'll do it myself, I thought, that's quicker. How naive.

I've completed level 1-4 this weekend. So far there are 51 different farms (including fields only lots).

On level 5 I started with some slaugtherhouse:

Miyazaki & Lector:

Miyazaki&Lector.jpg

(after taking the picture I redid the upper left corner and removed the small Simgoober shed. The pigs are JENXFAUNA and animated. Sometimes they escape their murders by beaming through the fence. So a life of a pig in SC4 is pretty kafkaesque. Standing there and waiting for the butcher or beaming through the fence into the free world ... just to be knocked down by a passing truck . That's the choice they have in the game until someone invents automata braking for them. Or some animal rights activist prop blocking the street).

In order to hire higher paid workers as @MeMyself&I suggests, you would need your anchor lot to be part I-HT. However, you can just assume the workers are drones and just hire more people (uneducated R$).

MeMyself&I and matias93 like this

Now on to some toxines.

Sir Thomas Distillery.

It's pure romance that the first buildings of this distillery were founded by Thomas More. But true is - they have barrels in their secret basement stash from 1508.

SirThomasDistillery.jpg

Cabana Castro. They roll cigars there (Smoke? Yes, to speed up fermentation process the barns are heated).

cabanacastro.JPG