• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for June & July   06/20/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
Fantozzi

[Development] The Day Major Fantozzi went Farming

156 posts in this topic

Nice! (Particularly the sparse cows). But I thought you would keep the "cows' levels" on different stages *:???:

5 hours ago, matias93 said:

But I thought you would keep the "cows' levels" on different stages

Well, I have to cover 10 grow stages and I want on every stage something new - not completely new, not that every field grows only on one stage - there probably will be fields appearing only on one or two stages. But there also will be fields growing on 4 or 5 stages or maybe more. So most probably it will happen that cows low will grow on stages 3 to 6, cows high density will grow on stages 4 to 9 and ultra will grow on 8 to 10. So there will be most probably overlapping stages for most of the fields. The fields will have stage ranges within they grow. And some fields will have very wide ranges. So, hopefully, even non-CAM users will see a bigger part of the fields ottherwise they would see only 30% of the fields I make.  

fields4.jpg

From left to right: gooseberry (Cycledogg), greenhouse lettuce (Nexis/Pegasus), growing tunnels (DocRohrlach), olive groove (Cycledogg).

matias93, CT14, simmytu and 2 others like this

Those are looking good, I like the flexibility of having greenhouses everywhere when the zone develops. Can leave rows in certain places, rezone for another field type next to them, etc. Same deal with the hoop houses, although they "breathe" just fine with a field full.

Fantozzi and matias93 like this

Looking good! Might I suggest forrestry/tree farms? BTW, shouldn't dense cows be hooked up to modern dairies, or are you working solely on fields now?

matias93, CT14 and Fantozzi like this

14 minutes ago, OcramsRzr said:

Might I suggest forrestry/tree farms?

Yes, they are on my list.

15 minutes ago, OcramsRzr said:

BTW, shouldn't dense cows be hooked up to modern dairies, or are you working solely on fields now?

Yes and yes. Don't look at the lots. They are only place holders atm, want to collect and finish the fields first. So far all together (external + mine) they are 24. On 10 growth stages and ~100 lots I think still some more will be needed.

CT14 and matias93 like this

43 minutes ago, OcramsRzr said:

forrestry/tree farms

With a small logging camp or base of operations as the anchor lot, this could be quite epic. Could use a large lot which included logging road props and matching trees to make the anchor visually extend into the zone.

12 hours ago, CT14 said:

With a small logging camp or base of operations as the anchor lot, this could be quite epic. Could use a large lot which included logging road props and matching trees to make the anchor visually extend into the zone.

Thanks - you gave me the idear trying to create 1x5 or even longer lots with a dirt road an log piles along the side - so the lot may look like a forest aisle. What do you think?

CT14 and MeMyself&I like this

1 hour ago, Fantozzi said:

Thanks - you gave me the idear trying to create 1x5 or even longer lots with a dirt road an log piles along the side - so the lot may look like a forest aisle. What do you think?

Maybe a 5x3 or 6x3 in which the street-side tiles are full with tree props, letting a 2x3 or 3x3 empty space with logs and some logging machinery, then creating an ilussion of a narrow path through the woods.

In any case, I remember @Silur and @Ln X had done very detailed and accurate logging campaments with MMPs, so maybe they are more capable of suggesting how to replicate their work on the lot editor. Nevertheless, this development is fantastical and will make this level of realism much more reachable to less talented players, like me :P 

CT14 and Fantozzi like this

8 minutes ago, matias93 said:

very detailed and accurate logging campaments with MMPs

If you stumble upon a nice CJ picture- don't hesitate to link it here. Now I'm doing the fields and with no. 25 and 26 I'm almost out of idears. So I appreciate it, doing suggestion for the lots, before I started with them.

Another, completely different thing: I'll use the custom querry windows from Pegasus with my field lots (as the SPAM ressource pack is already a dependency because of the props - so I thought why not using the included query window too?). Is there a SPAM user who can tell me if there is also another custom query window for SPAM farm lots?

fields6.jpg

From left to right: almonds (new props), potatoes (new props), chickens (Vnanoed), chicken houses row (new props).

I think I'm finished with the fields for the moment. I will start the farms now.

Both phases look great and I'm really impatient to see what will come from the farms themselves!

Those look great! I'm impressed how good these look, not to mention the speedy pace of your progress!

Might I suggest paper birch, bamboo, palm, and eucalyptus? Paper birch unfortunately grow a little slower than every year a harvest but maybe the winter trees could be barren 1-storey tall and the fall trees be full sized? Bamboo on the other hand would have 2 harvests a year and you could probably just recolor spring bamboo to get fall bamboo. There are eucalyptus trees which can be harvested for wood or paper every year and there are types of palm trees that can be harvested for wood or paper every year and other palm trees that can be used for dates, coconuts, or sugar.

I'm planning on possibly making a whimsical mod that adds Truffula trees, Truffula parks, Truff-U-La Juice vendors (CS$$), Truffula Plantations, Thneed mills, and Thneed stores (CS$$$). I was wondering if that would be too whimsical?

matias93 and Fantozzi like this

@OcramsRzr maybe, if I find a free 3D model I can assault, I might ad a bamboo field. I like the idear.

But a Tuffula plantation? Not shure if SC4 is the right environment - sounds like turning the Lorax into a Llama. But, well  - as usual - on games I tend to say: whatever you consider to be fun, you should give it a try.

I'm wondering; would it be feasible to have some space between the house and the crops though?  Maybe some open space or a 'work' yard of sorts?  Perhaps even a shed and some tools lying about?  Otherwise I think it's terrific!  Love the look of the fields and the house both!  :thumb:

matias93 and Fantozzi like this

@MeMyself&I

Those tiny farm houses will appear only on stage 1 and 2 - the higher the stages the bigger and more industrial the farm lots will be and also as @T Wrecks suggested there will be less of them but more 'crops only' lots growing. Also the pictures were only for showing the fields. Those small farm houses will remain this way but other farms will have more space around of course. I still have to think of appropriate farms for the bamboo but the combination shown above, the small house with the bamboo, I won't do for release.

@T Wrecks

I made some 1x1 farm lots looking the same as the fields but they didn't grow so far. How did you influence that they grow more often so you get the effect of only some farms and more fields around them?

MeMyself&I, CT14 and matias93 like this

In my limited experience so far, it seems like the "capacity satisfied" value is the one that determines how often something pops up. Higher capacity satisfied for the same real estate means more growing.

Of course this doesn't account for growth stages, Etc.

Fantozzi and T Wrecks like this

^ Yes, this seems to be an important factor. Strangely enough, even with identical values I had some farms grow far more often than others - not sure about the reasons.

I didn't care too much about interference with other farm lots in my personal modding endeavour because I chose a rather radical approach: I only used no-building lots as growables, and made some ploppable farms with buildings that I could scatter across the landscape in whatever way I wanted.

Fantozzi likes this

23 hours ago, CT14 said:

In my limited experience so far, it seems like the "capacity satisfied" value is the one that determines how often something pops up. Higher capacity satisfied for the same real estate means more growing.

Yes ... but ... they have already the capacity of one worker, I can't lower it more. T Wrecks is right, I made 12 lots for stage 1 and if I make 10 zones, I never get 10 different farms, only 3 or 4 or so different grow once in a time. I have to bulldoze and re-grow and re-bulldoze to see more variety ... but those 1x1 farms, they are worst.

And what about lotting bigger "empty" farms? It would only require to repeat the same props more times, and maybe solves the issue...

Fantozzi likes this

1 hour ago, matias93 said:

And what about lotting bigger farms? It would only require to repeat the same props more times, and maybe solves the issue...

I'll give this a try.

1 hour ago, matias93 said:

The selection of cut trees is also great, really matching the ones still growing!

Thanks - had to make them myself as I couldn't find such props.

matias93 likes this

1 minute ago, Fantozzi said:

Thanks - I had to make them myself as I couldn't find such props.

Really?! Wow, I didn't know you had those skills too! You should definitely release them as standing trees too, maybe as MMPs

MeMyself&I likes this

Hey, that looks exactly like what I was imagining for the tree farm. Great work. The winery also has a good choice of props and realistic overall appearance.

It sounds like the scale of "Capacity Satisfied" is hitting a wall at 1. Consider increasing values for this exemplar across the board, in order to have more room for relative placement of lots within the scale.

Fantozzi and MeMyself&I like this

19 hours ago, matias93 said:

And what about lotting bigger "empty" farms?

You were right. If I make them 2x2 instead of 1x1 they grow. Thanks.

18 hours ago, matias93 said:

Really?! Wow, I didn't know you had those skills too!

To be true - I pick up the models here and adjust them in B.A.T. to my needs and texture them. I don't have major modelling skills. 

matias93, CT14 and MeMyself&I like this