• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for June & July   06/20/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
Matthias King

Help With Terraforming

5 posts in this topic

I'm looking for some guidance.

I have a save well underway, but I need to do some significant terraforming to continue. I tried creating a map several times, but just found I was terrible at it, so what I did was start with one of the vanilla maps that had one particular area I could start with, then planned to terraform around it. The problem is, after ND came out, terraforming creates massive tsunami waves that before ND would just go inland then eventually wash away with no problem, but now destroy huge chunks of my city.

I need to get rid of all water on the map, then terraform, then bring the water back in the new shape without it destroying the city. Can anyone help me through that? I have the right mods, I just need to know the best way to go about actually doing it without causing a disaster, pun very much intended.

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Matthias King said:

I'm looking for some guidance.

I have a save well underway, but I need to do some significant terraforming to continue. I tried creating a map several times, but just found I was terrible at it, so what I did was start with one of the vanilla maps that had one particular area I could start with, then planned to terraform around it. The problem is, after ND came out, terraforming creates massive tsunami waves that before ND would just go inland then eventually wash away with no problem, but now destroy huge chunks of my city.

I need to get rid of all water on the map, then terraform, then bring the water back in the new shape without it destroying the city. Can anyone help me through that? I have the right mods, I just need to know the best way to go about actually doing it without causing a disaster, pun very much intended.

Thanks.

If you have BloodyPenguin's mods that control water sources you can basically change the sea level height to 0. terraform, then reset the sea level to what you like. 

R3V0, Roadman20 and Avanya like this

Is it that simple? I've messed with the water a little, but I always seem to screw something up, such as when I try to create a lake or pond. Is there anything I should know or look out for beforehand?

Thanks for the reply.

What I usually do is pauze the game while terraforming, and when I'm done I unpauze, and reset sealevel using BloodyPenguin's mod, which flattens all water instantly, avoiding buildings being destroyed.

I tried that, but it seems that when I reset the water to sea level, it would go ahead and reset like it's supposed to, but soon after the water would go ahead and get choppy and create waves. Is there any way to avoid that? The water just doesn't seem to want to stay calm after I terraform.