• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

March goal: We're almost there!   03/20/2017

Hi Community! We're almost there for our March goals!  I just wanted to keep the momentum going so if you are able to help, please donate and get some gifts in exchange! Thanks so much to those who have helped out this month, we really appreciate it.
Matthias King

Help With Terraforming

5 posts in this topic

I'm looking for some guidance.

I have a save well underway, but I need to do some significant terraforming to continue. I tried creating a map several times, but just found I was terrible at it, so what I did was start with one of the vanilla maps that had one particular area I could start with, then planned to terraform around it. The problem is, after ND came out, terraforming creates massive tsunami waves that before ND would just go inland then eventually wash away with no problem, but now destroy huge chunks of my city.

I need to get rid of all water on the map, then terraform, then bring the water back in the new shape without it destroying the city. Can anyone help me through that? I have the right mods, I just need to know the best way to go about actually doing it without causing a disaster, pun very much intended.

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Matthias King said:

I'm looking for some guidance.

I have a save well underway, but I need to do some significant terraforming to continue. I tried creating a map several times, but just found I was terrible at it, so what I did was start with one of the vanilla maps that had one particular area I could start with, then planned to terraform around it. The problem is, after ND came out, terraforming creates massive tsunami waves that before ND would just go inland then eventually wash away with no problem, but now destroy huge chunks of my city.

I need to get rid of all water on the map, then terraform, then bring the water back in the new shape without it destroying the city. Can anyone help me through that? I have the right mods, I just need to know the best way to go about actually doing it without causing a disaster, pun very much intended.

Thanks.

If you have BloodyPenguin's mods that control water sources you can basically change the sea level height to 0. terraform, then reset the sea level to what you like. 

3 people like this

Is it that simple? I've messed with the water a little, but I always seem to screw something up, such as when I try to create a lake or pond. Is there anything I should know or look out for beforehand?

Thanks for the reply.

What I usually do is pauze the game while terraforming, and when I'm done I unpauze, and reset sealevel using BloodyPenguin's mod, which flattens all water instantly, avoiding buildings being destroyed.

I tried that, but it seems that when I reset the water to sea level, it would go ahead and reset like it's supposed to, but soon after the water would go ahead and get choppy and create waves. Is there any way to avoid that? The water just doesn't seem to want to stay calm after I terraform.