• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

March goal: We're almost there!   03/20/2017

Hi Community! We're almost there for our March goals!  I just wanted to keep the momentum going so if you are able to help, please donate and get some gifts in exchange! Thanks so much to those who have helped out this month, we really appreciate it.

31 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, thought I'd start a thread on my own so I can get some feedback and tips from the community. I've never used PS or modelling programs before so it's been a rough week but I'm enjoying it very much. I settled on Sketchup for modelling and 3ds Max for textures. Maybe some of you will hate that but SU is just too comfortable, fun and easy to use compared to the other stuff I tried although it does have several flaws, but I won't get into those. I got a lot of help from Ronyx69 so a big thanks to him first most. I've written everything down and am now able to produce assets, slowly mind you but something that works does come out in the end (can't make any promises about it's beauty but you gotta love your children :P) I can start to experiment and learn about more functions and other methods if you recommend them so I'll be posting things here as I make them to get your feedback. Hopefully with your help I can become better and maybe start making some things that are worth publishing. If you also model in sketchup your knowledge and tips and triply worthy so please bestow upon me thy knowledge :D

I've put a stop to Columbine, it's gone forever but it has taught me a lot about what I like and want to do and it's just not that. I thought the workshop could use some more rural and low/mid density buildings so I set out on this path with that in mind but everything isn't set in stone. I have an interest in making some Balkan and Mediterranean assets as I felt that most European buildings on the workshop are very German, big dark buildings which you don't really see that much along the Mediterranean. I wanted to make some buildings that represent those found around Albania, Bosnia, Greece, Bulgaria, Turkey and maybe I could go into North Africa & Spain later. I'm starting to make some small rural buildings but hopefully will get into 4-5 story apartments and more unique buildings like mosques, churches and bridges in the future but I'm not even going to think about those until I have 20 assets or so made and finalized. So that's just my vision, it may or may not go that far and all depends on how things go as I'm still a total noob.

Here's the first building I made. It's a.. thing to learn how to model and texture. It's technically the second but we don't talk about "Project Alpha"

200 tris 512x256 tex

And here's the second one 452 tris, 512x512 tex, added color variations on the stucco wall.

I'm just experimenting with different things to see how they go and how necessary each detail is. I think I need to get better at textures for now I'm just using them as is with minor changes for objects such as stamping to remove things and outlining parts, very simple stuff. A "stylized while still realistic" theme may fit better than just using these textures outright and I hope I can make something like that in the future. It would also make things a bit more crisp, I feel these might lose detail as they get bigger. I think I will try to make one with windows on the texture as I'm losing tris for nothing for these. It's probably fine for small things but I need to know how to do it when I make bigger stuff. That will be after a while though since I modeled a couple more already.

3 people like this

Welcome! The learning curve is indeed extremely steep when you start from zero but your work looks very promising! I don't think anybody here will hate on your 3D program choice. I started with Sketchup for the same reasons as you and it's possible to progressively get comfortable with 3ds Max as you go if you want :)

This one's a bit of a disaster.

Sketchup's flaws starting to show early in our relationship.. You measure 5cm, the program has a smart track system that automatically snaps you into place, it's 5cm "I promise". The tracking even tells you "on edge", further guaranteeing your vertex is at a 90 degree angle with color codes. But no, when you export it (in 2008 mode cause it's x10 more funky on regular export) everything it just told you was fake and only a method of viewing that model in sketchup, that vertex actually sits 0.01cm to a side and forms into 7 triangles or some bullshit IRL. Then max has 0 feedback or tooltips so I have no idea why it doesn't connect my vertices and what not, it only works when everything is on the same plane. I don't like using cut either because there's no pressing shift to snap it or anything like in 99% of any program ever made, you gotta eyeball it and then form it into a group and then slide them together and then ... why? Why even bother.. It probably has every function I could've ever wanted but they're all hidden under the interface in a bunch of menus. I have 2 more models to texture and then I'm giving blender another shot, simply because "press F" and all your problems go away, even though everything else is out to eat you and very hungry.

I don't know why this asset turned out so terrible but everything is off and I just rushed it out to get it over with, I can see some of my UV scaling on the right side wall is off but I won't bother. The balcony is broken because of what I mentioned earlier and you can see some of that funkyness on the 2nd story door if you look closely. I matched the texture to camouflage it but it's there.

More pressing matter, I worked pretty hard on another one and I'm really excited to show that one but the game doesn't recognize it. I've done everything, exporting using all the different buttons, just using the model and none of the other maps, it just appears empty in the asset editor, I looked this up and there's some threads but no answers, does anyone know what the issue is?

12 minutes ago, accapulco said:

More pressing matter, I worked pretty hard on another one and I'm really excited to show that one but the game doesn't recognize it. I've done everything, exporting using all the different buttons, just using the model and none of the other maps, it just appears empty in the asset editor, I looked this up and there's some threads but no answers, does anyone know what the issue is?

Does the model not show up (visually) or does the file not show up as an option? In case of the first: Try a scale of 100. My very first import worked, but it was really tiny due to Blender using different units. Apart from that there are many reasons why I won't work. I don't work with Sketchup nor 3DS Max but you might be using some wrong export settings, I'm sure others can help you with that.

I would recommend switching over to Blender as your modeling and texturing software. Imo it makes the workflow much simpler and cleaner. Scaling is also quite simple if you use Blender -- if you set the modeling units to meters and model to a 1:1 ratio, you can import it into the game a default scale of 1.

@Tim The Terrible I can see the file but the picture is blank, changing the scale doesn't affect it though. I tried 999 and flipped all the buttons and nothing, also if I click more than 2 assets it crashes is this just how it is even with -noworkshop? I've done everything exactly the same as the previous ones and there aren't any options for export. My guess is somewhere along the line opening and closing programs 3ds changed an option and now it's not exporting it properly. Just tried with the final model and it's doing the same thing.

13 hours ago, accapulco said:

This one's a bit of a disaster.

Sketchup's flaws starting to show early in our relationship.. You measure 5cm, the program has a smart track system that automatically snaps you into place, it's 5cm "I promise". The tracking even tells you "on edge", further guaranteeing your vertex is at a 90 degree angle with color codes. But no, when you export it (in 2008 mode cause it's x10 more funky on regular export) everything it just told you was fake and only a method of viewing that model in sketchup, that vertex actually sits 0.01cm to a side and forms into 7 triangles or some bullshit IRL. Then max has 0 feedback or tooltips so I have no idea why it doesn't connect my vertices and what not, it only works when everything is on the same plane. I don't like using cut either because there's no pressing shift to snap it or anything like in 99% of any program ever made, you gotta eyeball it and then form it into a group and then slide them together and then ... why? Why even bother.. It probably has every function I could've ever wanted but they're all hidden under the interface in a bunch of menus. I have 2 more models to texture and then I'm giving blender another shot, simply because "press F" and all your problems go away, even though everything else is out to eat you and very hungry.

I don't know why this asset turned out so terrible but everything is off and I just rushed it out to get it over with, I can see some of my UV scaling on the right side wall is off but I won't bother. The balcony is broken because of what I mentioned earlier and you can see some of that funkyness on the 2nd story door if you look closely. I matched the texture to camouflage it but it's there.

Sketchup is cool, though I don't think the scale translates very well. My advice: just keep on making assets. There are so many little things about sketchup, 3d max, texturing, and how the game reads the texture maps that you're only going to be able to pick up from experience. I'm going on a year using sketchup and 3d max and I still struggle with a lot of stuff. Don't sweat the small things, once you're more comfortable with the basics, you'll want to do more and more details. Everything looks great by your screenshots so far though. 

2 people like this

@wasaki Thanks! Don't know if they're awesome but I'm hoping to get there one day :D

@kingleno Thanks, I watched some of your videos they're what gave me the confidence to start with it.

Computer says no...

Tore out half my hair and learned a bit of Blender. Can't model to my liking just yet but I learned the UV mapping. It's a double edged sword compared with the 3ds mapping. On one hand you can mass select all the shitty little face pieces, throw them onto the UV map and mass scale them so they are the same resolution. Hitting E even maps the faces according to how they appear on the model so I don't have to micro align them so textures have continuation from one face to the other. On the other hand scaling is global and to stretch a corner you need to select the vertex or edge one by one, or snap scale to an axis which will do it both ways. Definitely faster than 3ds but I'm not sure, maybe when I get used to it I'll like it more.

So I noticed that exporting from sketchup is the issue even though my first couple of assets are somehow fine. Apparently the program inserts a hidden vertex somewhere into the model when exporting that breaks the model for unity. There's a way to not have it do that which is to use the CS  add on which removes it but then it exports is as ASCII which blender doesn't want to open, meaning you gotta do the uv mapping in sketchup with roadkill which is apparently a P.O.S. so yeah.. no thanks. I went ahead and UV mapped the next model for 2 hours and the game still shows the same problem, even though the un-mapped version was fine. No idea, perhaps someone has run into this issue before and can help me. Anyhow here's what it was supposed to look like (took the pic on the max model since the blender import was a bit broken)

Next one will be Blender made so it might take a couple of days...

"I just want to make a damn box, not the next Pixar movie" - A wise man

I think you are overcomplicating things for yourself. 

You can't learn a software in a few days and decide the best workflow for you, worse yet trying to do that with 3 different programs at once.

I've been using only 3ds max for many years, and I still learn ways to improve today, and still don't use/know all the available shortcuts and best practices.

Exporting/reimporting is going to create even more problems, better to figure out how to fix it in the one software you choose, not jumping from one to the other all the time.

On the topic of the "hidden vertex" - right click your object > properties > uncheck "edges only", this will show the triangulation which might help.

Also you can try adding a vertex weld modifier to your object with a very small distance (0.001), this will combine together vertices that are in the same location.

You can also try manually moving some vertices to find where they are broken, and use target weld to combine them.

I would advise you to take a good look my tutorial concerning SketchUp/3ds, it's really just a matter of best practices used: 

I was gonna say looks like a polygon could be flipped but then I'm guessing that's blender and it looks Japanese to me. I like @Ronyx69 advice, pick one (or 2 in sketchup/3d max) and stick to it. Even me using 3d max as a medium for UV mapping, i basically know nothing about modeling in 3d max. There is soo much to learn, even just with how the game renders and displays textures (which I think is the most important part), that flip flopping programs is time down the drain.    And thanks! Doing videos was such a pain in the ass for me, mainly learning the editing and learning an entirely new program (Adobe Premiere). 

1 person likes this

It looks like you have a concave n-gon around the top left of the balcony. The advice I've read a bunch of times is to stay away from faces with more than 4 vertices. I'm not really sure what kind of things go wrong if you don't, but in the end everything is rendered as triangles. So I think somewhere in exporting the model out of blender and importing it into cities skylines someone decided to fill in the n-gon with different triangles that what blender displayed to you.

You should delete the n-gon and fill in the area with faces with at most 4 vertices. You can use the blender select menu to find all faces in you model that have more than 4 vertices.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Epic Lurker said:

You should delete the n-gon and fill in the area with faces with at most 4 vertices. You can use the blender select menu to find all faces in you model that have more than 4 vertices.

Could you please tell me how to do that, it sounds quite useful ?

@mntoes select -> select all by trait -> select faces by sides. Now adjust selection to number of vertices greater than 4.

My main reason to check out Blender was to see if I could make sense of it now that I have a better understanding of things thanks to that introductory to 3DS Max before I commit to anything. It did make sense and I made that previous building in it but it took 2 days of modelling. Slow modelling that was frustrating and the asset turned out a bit broken to boot. With sketchup I can make 3-4 proper models a day without rushing anything and have fun while doing it (feels fun vs feeling like work) so I think I'll stick to it. I sorted out the issue as well. Basically saving as sketch8 breaks the model, exporting as fbx breaks the model, it needs to be .dae or it doesn't work. The export from blender also has to be .dae. I'll be doing modelling on Sketchup and exporting to Blender for UVs since there I can take some time to clean up the model without too much hassle and then map it. I also figured out some extra things I can do in Sketchup to lessen the hassle of cleanup where I draw out some triangles to force it to triangulate faces the way I want rather than letting the export do it and mess every thing up. There's still a lot of kinks but hopefully I'll get the hang of it. Anyhow, I made 5 models and I'm texturing them now so here's the first one, a little house. I think this will fit into the collection I have in mind to publish so I'll revisit this later to change a few things, add lod and color variation and make it ready.

Some details are a bit flat so I may revisit them and adjust the normals on those textures as it's already sitting at 436 tris.

yea, sketchup feels like fun to me, and something i can do leisurely, perhaps too much so because I end up playing around with 10 - 20 different models at once. Your stuff is looking real good so far, especially if you've never used Photoshop before or 3d software before. 

Little apartment complex 1162 tris, 1024x1024 textures. I'm happy with the result and I can already see a bunch of things I can do better next time. First there are small faults here and there that will be corrected like the normals on some windows, specially that balcony where I did it fast and didn't want to put 40 boxes with pixel perfect accuracy. The model is also missing seam elements to mark the places where two textures or buildings meet, it looks kind of flat and awkward when there's no transition. This looks weird at the two doors for example. While modelling you can see they're two separate buildings but when the texture goes on and there's no transition element it looks kind of odd. I'm not happy with the windows either . I think I need to take one day and just make some window textures myself as I haven't seen any proper ones yet, they're all real life windows with shadows or slanted models which is not only annoying to work with but ugly as well. Finally I need to learn how to make a big face with windows on it for these kinds of buildings or just leave a lot of space in the diffuse for window variations because the night lights look pretty bad. All those faults aside I'm still happy with the result, there are lots of little elements and ideas in this that I can use for future models.

1 person likes this

Another little apartment this one is 874 tris with a 512x1024 texture. It's designed, if you could call it that, to be tucked between smaller 1-2 story buildings so that mostly the top part is showing. There's a little cafe at the top which I haven't decorated but you can imagine some tables and what not on the terrace could make it look pretty nice. I have an issue with the wooden railing part, it's a plane so as soon as you turn your head it stops showing. I've been told planes just act that way but when you make an alpha on a fence, that fence still shows from the other side so there may be some experimenting to trick the game into showing it. Would like to hear thoughts if someone knows already. I made a color variation on the green part to add some variety. Also the windows are a new experiment, the balcony I took from google and modified it but the windows I made myself. Haven't figured out the nightlights fully, they don't look so great and the cafe window specially looks like it's turned greyscale and then illuminated afterwards. Is there a way to preserve window objects in the nightlight, a setting someone knows? I'm still experimenting obviously and don't really know what I'm doing.

Obligatory broken asset to bring you down right when you feel you're on a roll.

970 tris on a 512x1024 texture in all it's shitty glory. I know why those parts are broken, they have ngons and the game doesn't like it. I can go in and fiddle with it a bit later but I don't feel up to it atm. I want to draw your attention to something else.

In the first image I'm up real close and just as I back off a meter or so you can see parts of the textures start to become blurred, I've marked the seams where they occur in pink. It's really visible on the concrete column, upper half is fine but the lower half is blurred. Basically when you're looking at it from a normal distance most of my textures are blurred depending on your angle and it looks extra bad, any idea why this is? It's not always on faces but it might have something to do with my cleanup. I merge triangular faces on the same plane (so same texture and "material" if you will) in Blender to form rectangles so I can manage them easier when mapping the UV, could this have something to do with the issue here? Could the game be reading them as separate and creating a blur to seam them together but ends up messing everything up?

Apart from that, my texture work is very shitty compared to other assets and that's kind of brought me down. If someone can give me some advice, maybe a few tricks or just a general look or direction I should adopt I'd really appreciate it.

That's just how bad the game looks, the mipmapping is too strong and the anisotropic filtering is too low, use the sharp textures mod.

Also test ingame with all your luts and compare to other assets as well, asset editor is too much of a vacuum to judge an asset.

Just continue making stuff and you will get better.

Look at real life pictures of what you're making.
Compare that to what you have ingame, see what you don't have ingame and what you do have in real life.
Fake it to look like the real thing.

1 person likes this

These last two are my favorites out of the lot so hopefully the next one also works without issue. This one is 436 tris on a 512x1024 texture. I can see the textures on the bottom faces of both the green and white wall are kind of smeared. The face sizes and uvs are all the same so I don't know why it's picking on the bottom ones specifically. I experimented a bit with roof decorations as well as shapes. The one on the left is just 2 rectangles lifted on the edge they meet, 8 faces and simple to arrange the uvs to make the textures look like they continue off one another. The one on the right is 4 edges meeting on an elevated point also with 8 faces but 2 of them have wonky uv shapes so the textures don't match perfectly. I think I'll prefer simpler roofs like the left one in the future and think up some decorations, also make some flat roofs as well. Although it doesn't look like it, all the previous roof textures were slightly different (the game loves to color them this weird color in the asset editor, this isn't their real color). This is a flat asphalt texture and looks so much better than the clay ones. I think the flat-ness of my textures is a little less alarming on smaller buildings like these so I might continue with this size for a while.

Turned out alright, hip hip huray! I left the bottom space on the left open for some fruit stalls but can't enable assets so you'll just have to imagine for now. 732 tris on a 512x1024 texture. This was the last one so now I can start on some new models, I had a special project planned so I might start on that.

Made some props, I hope you guys like fish :P

They're all 70-120 tris with 128x256 textures, the awning is at 234tris with 512x512.

Couldn't get the styro box to look right, it's still too bright so might omit that one. The fish on the very left is a modular piece, I'm also going to make some vegetable versions of it so you can plop what ever you want on those tables and I should also increase the size just 1 more notch. I have stacked versions of the blue crate as well but I wasn't happy with it's plastic texture so I didn't want to make it too visible, I'll make stacked ones of the wooden crates instead as I'm also going to use those for vegetables.

5 people like this

Not sure how viable detail this tiny is really, unless you're extra zoomed in with the mod you can't really make it out. Scrapped the initial version and made these double ones that fill both the boxes on the table, they're 24 tris on a 64x64 texture. Made a stacked version of the crate which I think I should make a little bigger like the regular version even if it's unrealistic, just so you can see the detail better. Also a little dolly for carrying them around.

Another little commercial joins the fight, 200 tris on 512x512 textures. The sign is kind of crappy but it's not like you're going to be zoomed in staring at these buildings while you play. I think detail is good where it's seen and these buildings are going to be cramped together and stuck between bigger buildings, not so distinguishable individually but coming together as a whole so I think this is good enough for this one.

I wanted to make some better looking shops but the lack of semi transparency hurts and shop pictures aren't that great even though I'm constantly using them. That's why I'm trying to make this theme of small open air market decorations just so you can add some more liveliness around the town and make it look more alive. Have some fun things planned for the next posts.

I really like your market props! The amount of details seems perfectly adequate: the optimization is excellent and the textures are good for first-person shots taken from a couple of meters away (even the city painter that I am must admit that being able to read the price tags would be a bit overkill for this game anyway). As for the dimensions, I personally prefer realistic dimensions because otherwise the bigger size is really noticeable in first-person view (Soldyne's fruit stands are a good example of that, they are pretty huge). However this game originally isn't supposed to be played that way and a perfectly realistic scale does make some assets barely visible in standard view, so it's really a matter of taste.

You're right with growables: they are part of a whole so they don't need an incredible amount of details (something I should improve on because I take way too long to make a single growable and it isn't sustainable if you want to make a whole building style)...

About your work in general, it's looking great so far. The learning curve is extremely steep at the begining so it's normal if everything isn't immediately as good as you'd like... Keep it up and you'll see yourself improve maybe slowly (for your taste), but surely! :)

1 person likes this

Ignoring the flipped normal.. 1kg of old cheddar you say? Of course monsieur..

Here's a little charcuterie I made today. It's jam packed with nutritious goodness at 243 tris with 512x512 textures. The cheese fridge is a separate prop that's 185 tri at 256x256. The ice cream version is coming as well ^___^

Well, here it is!

Really tried to put my mind to this one and I think it came out very nice. The building includes the porch and the awning and it's 513 tris at 512x1024 textures. I tried to make something interesting with the awning but it looks kind of weird so might have to tweak that or scrap that idea, don't worry if you can't see it. The ice cream fridge is a prop and I left it and all other props (tables and what not) out of the building so you can make your own design. It's 117 tris with 256x256 textures. This asset taught me quite a bit, I figured out how to properly reduce tri count in blender after import and fix pretty much all the weird issues I've had in the past.
2 people like this