• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Need your donations for May & June!   05/01/2017

We need your support to help keep Simtropolis online. We also need a little bit more this month to enhance the new chat with some features, such as mobile support! Please consider a donation today if you can help out, it would mean a lot! And we'll send you a little gift in return.  Help us reach our May goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
    • Dirktator

About our affiliation with GOG.com   05/23/2017

Simtropolis is now an affiliate of GOG.com! When you use one of our affiliate links to GOG.com, all it means is that Simtropolis has a chance to earn a small commission from any purchases you might make. So if you see something that tickles your fancy, please use our affiliate links and by doing so, you'll help support Simtropolis! Thanks!
Tim The Terrible

released
Cities: Skylines - "Mass Transit" Disucssion

143 posts in this topic

ynK5X1b.png

Release Trailer

The expansion, titled “Mass Transit,” will bring new forms of transportation to the game, allowing mayor-players to offer in-game citizens new ways to get across town by land, sea, and air. With new transit service buildings, mass transit hubs where lines can exchange passengers, new scenarios, new landmarks, and new road types, Mass Transit will provide veteran players of Cities: Skylines with more choices and options to personalize their cities than ever before.

Mass Transit will feature:

• Sick Transit, Glorious Money: Add a wealth of new transit options to your city, and add wealth to your city’s income! Let your citizens get across town in ferries, blimps, cable cars, and monorails
  • Orderly Hub, Bub: New mass transit hubs can bring all of your services together, letting citizens change rail lines in one building, or hop from the bus onto the ferry, or even find their way through a sprawling monorail-train-metro station.
  • Become a Roads Scholar: Explore a set of new challenge scenarios focused on solving traffic problems and adding new transit systems. New road types, bridges and canals adds variety to your city, and new ways to solve its challenges. Become an expert in traffic flow, and then use that knowledge to improve your city!
  • New Hats for Chirper: NEW. HATS. FOR CHIRPER. (and also new unique buildings, policies and achievements. But HATS!)

Per usual, the new expansion will arrive together with a free update to the base game upon release. This free update adds mod-inspired features to traffic management, such as an extended public transport budget, emergency vehicle overtaking and more road features. The patch will also include the much-requested ability to name roads.

Screenshots

Spoiler

cities_skylines_masstransit_10.jpg

screentaketwo_2.jpg

cities_skylines_masstransit_07.jpg

screentaketwo_4.jpg

screentaketwo_9.jpg

screentaketwo_6.jpg

1 minute ago, Avanya said:

Just moved this to General Discussion since that's more fitting. :)

My bad, Modding is my usual hang-out, so I hit 'Start Topic' there ^^ Thank you for moving

Cyclone Boom and mrsmartman like this

5 minutes ago, Tim The Terrible said:

My bad, Modding is my usual hang-out, so I hit 'Start Topic' there ^^ Thank you for moving

Np. I'm the same - Modding is where the cool sneak peaks appear! :P 

mrsmartman likes this

3 minutes ago, Lee Towers said:

But the cable cars may need some hinges... 

You mean they didn't bother to make the cabins hang horizontal? Because I noticed that too. Also the cable could use some more 'hanging', they seems too tight compared to real life.

mrsmartman likes this

Just now, Tim The Terrible said:

You mean they didn't bother to make the cabins hang horizontal? Because I noticed that too. Also the cable could use some more 'hanging', they seems too tight compared to real life.

Yep, that's exactly what I mean. Hopefully they'll fix that before release.

Another thing I just noticed is a road with monorail pillars on them on this screenshot. Is this what they're referring to when they're saying "new roads"?

mrsmartman likes this

2 minutes ago, Lee Towers said:

Another thing I just noticed is a road with monorail pillars on them on this screenshot. Is this what they're referring to when they're saying "new roads"?

It is a monorail :)  Seems like it's in the center of an avenue or something

mrsmartman likes this

Just now, Tim The Terrible said:

It is a monorail :) 

Well of course it's a monorail, I meant to say that they're mentioning new roads in the expansion, and I'm wondering if the road-with-monorail is going to be the only type of new road.

mrsmartman likes this

Stoked for this. The transportation system is one of my favorite aspects of this game and it's great that it is getting an expansion. WP CO! *:thumb:

Now who's gonna mod me a text-to-speech for the first-person-perspective so that it says "Naechste haltbahnhof, Friedrichstrasse. Austieg links!" when a train pulls into a station?:P

spindash_st and mrsmartman like this

I approve the initial scope (muh monorail for Seattle) of the DLC, although I reserve more critical judgement as the dev updates come out closer to release, especially towards new road types and bridges.

Also, +1 for emergency vehicle AI fix, it's about time.

Edit: The only real shortfall I see in this DLC is the lack of implementation of a true flexible light rail network option.  This would resolve so many issues and bridge a lot of gaps for players in building their transit systems instead of all these individual ones.  Light rail as a concept is fairly wide and extensive globally.

mrsmartman likes this

Looking forward to this. I just wonder whether the cable cars should have been included in the snowfall expansion as I usually associate them in snowy mountains. I am intrigued about this blimp - is it actually a mode of transport? I mean I've never seen someone regularly travel by one so I wonder what benefits it will have to your city? Apart from that everything looks great. Where I'm from we have an extensive monorail and they are a brilliant mode of transport, although expensive to construct! They should cost more than trains to build . As always it looks great on paper, but how it's implemented could make or break this expansion. Didn't they also say they will be showcasing it a gaming conference in San Francisco? I can't remember the last expansion they did it for. So I'm hoping that it means it could be quite substantial compared to others. 

mrsmartman, Pluispixel and Avanya like this

This is great!!!. All the features sound awesome. I can tell you right know tho that die-hard realistic transport fans(pretty much everyone on simtropolis)  will probably only use the monorail and ferries, tho having the other ones is nice as well. I know I will. It's also great to hear road naming is gonna be officially patched in. Overall, I'm happy with what was announced. However does anyone think that parking is gonna be made a revenue source?. Well, that and highway's. Toll booths for that. Maybe the new police's there mentioning will make that possible?. What do you guys think?.

mrsmartman likes this

Looks great! I'll definitely get more use out of this than Natural Disasters (which I really only bought for the sake of completeness...)

Hope we get a release date soon!

Avanya and mrsmartman like this

This could just be the expansion I was waiting for! I mean, monorail! And maybe even more important, ferries! And those cable cars! And, and, BLIMPS :D!

...wait, blimps? Not that they're not cool, but I've never seen them as mass transit...

Anyhow, this will definitely add something to the game, and hopefully something more than eternal winter or a day-night cycle which the cims ignore... :( 

Avanya, mrsmartman and gfvsims like this

This expansion looks as if it will hit the bullseye!  Certainly seems to address a number of "wants" expressed by fans - so we have a few days disruption while modders update their work-  sensible realists can work with that- you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs. Stoked for this expansion! Look forward to modders creating the Hindenburg!

mrsmartman, Avanya and gfvsims like this

CO is a textbook example of mismanagement of a video game studio. This trailer looks really amateurish. I can spot a few obvious problems with it. First, a ship in the second last photo is beached. Second, the bridge in the last photo is not realistic. CO needs to understand that most players want transport expansion in highway and railroad instead of other less efficient mode of transportation. Otherwise, the game is still worse than Cities in Motion.

rsc204 and Cork like this

2 hours ago, mrsmartman said:

CO is a textbook example of mismanagement of a video game studio. This trailer looks really amateurish. I can spot a few obvious problems with it. First, a ship in the second last photo is beached. Second, the bridge in the last photo is not realistic. CO needs to understand that most players want transport expansion in highway and railroad instead of other less efficient mode of transportation. Otherwise, the game is still worse than Cities in Motion.

There is always someone that is never happy no matter what..  Maybe CO and Paradox should of done a Simcity 2013 or Simcity 4, make one xpac then abandon the game entirely..

OT This looks great can't wait to try out the new features and good to see CO are still hard at work on the CSL..

catty-cb, gfvsims, Avanya and 2 others like this

5 hours ago, mrsmartman said:

It's a game, and not reality. I also don't like their art style, but at least it is consistent.

About that ship: That's a prop that was released with the free update a few months ago.

Also, how do you know that they didn't add new highway and railroad features? There is a large multi-track train station on one of the pictures. "New road types, bridges and canals" are also mentioned in the description. And maybe there is more that was not shown yet...

I really would like to know the max. dimensions for assets on monorail, any ideas ?

Rails are the most important to know, since they are passing through cars 

mrsmartman likes this

I am kind a little bit disappointed that they wont add Trolleybuses in the game. Since this is a "Mass Transit" after all.

mrsmartman likes this

On 04/03/2017 at 6:17 AM, ghosty20 said:

There is always someone that is never happy no matter what..  Maybe CO and Paradox should of done a Simcity 2013 or Simcity 4, make one xpac then abandon the game entirely..

Yes everyone must be happy, descenting voices will be drowned out because CO are the cat's pyjamas.

I'm sorry, I just am not happy. I liked the game, but the updates have brought little of substance so far. Everything feels unpolished and worst of all, so many bugs that are never going to be fixed.

So what if Maxis only made one expansion for SC4... frankly at least the game we did end up with for the most part works as intended. So much of Skylines doesn't, of course "modders will fix everything"... well let me know when that happens. Presumably I'll need a supercomputer at that point to run the game acceptably?

In the meantime performance gets worse with every update. The last one was so big, I can only assume the entire game was being re-downloaded from Steam. So that's 2 hours wait to play a game installed on my system? I'm sorry, this is OK for you? Not to mention, what change is so big that it can't be handled with a simple patch? Or was that patch really in the realm of 1.4GB? The entire world doesn't have 100MB connections you know? I don't care about downloading a 1.4GB update, so be it, just don't force it upon me. Let me have the option to say no thanks, I'd like to play right now.

When it arrived, memory usage hit 13GB in game, I don't have the assets to require anything like this. Frankly I didn't bother to try and resolve this problem, I just sighed and quit once more, to the familiar CTD because closing an application is apparently too much to ask of it? I don't know what's going on, but for me the game is a hideous broken mess. I've lost all interest in playing it that I once had.

I just want to build transport and have a functioning city around it. But if none of it really works, what's the point? I know, let's add yet more poorly functioning networks, that'll solve it! Even traffic flow is bizarre, the roads in-game aren't sufficient to keep up with traffic. The solution, install a mod and remove the traffic lights, now traffic flows properly? How is that not broken if simply removing the traffic lights makes it work? But since the entire simulation relies on traffic flow to work, that distilled becomes the essence of game play, traffic flow. Again I'm sorry, but I find that to be boring and tedious.

So much is right with the game, if only it functioned as it should, but it just doesn't. I want to love Cities Skylines, I want it to be the game it had the potential to be. But not all of us are so happy with the direction it's taken. Perhaps if we could debate these points without potshots being fired from all directions, it might actually prove beneficial? Instead I think most players are so focused with making eye candy cities that they've forgotten what makes games fun, the GAME part.

mrsmartman, Cork and Danny McGregor like this

7 hours ago, KnightSentry said:

I am kind a little bit disappointed that they wont add Trolleybuses in the game. Since this is a "Mass Transit" after all.

What's so special about trolleybuses? They function exactly like buses or trams

1 hour ago, rsc204 said:

I'm sorry, I just am not happy. I liked the game, but the updates have brought little of substance so far. Everything feels unpolished and worst of all, so many bugs that are never going to be fixed.

So what if Maxis only made one expansion for SC4... frankly at least the game we did end up with for the most part works as intended. So much of Skylines doesn't, of course "modders will fix everything"... well let me know when that happens. Presumably I'll need a supercomputer at that point to run the game acceptably?

I plan to fix some of them when CO stops updating the game. Well-written mods do not decrease the performance of the game. We can access and modify 98% of the code, which gives us all the possibilities.

1 hour ago, rsc204 said:

Instead I think most players are so focused with making eye candy cities that they've forgotten what makes games fun, the GAME part.

I agree with you. The simulation is totally unbalanced, not challenging and not realistic. The majority of the modding community and the playerbase has focused on eye candy, which is really sad.