• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

March goal: We're almost there!   03/20/2017

Hi Community! We're almost there for our March goals!  I just wanted to keep the momentum going so if you are able to help, please donate and get some gifts in exchange! Thanks so much to those who have helped out this month, we really appreciate it.
Exurbanite

Exurb's Main Street Americana Collection | Flagstaff Brewing Co. Released - 3/26

55 posts in this topic

On 3/9/2017 at 11:35 AM, Matthias King said:

That's looking very nice. Dead simple and plain, but that's exactly what I'm looking for. There are so many of those dotted around a typical downtown.

My only critique would be the bricks could probably be a bit darker. I'm not sure if it's the light, but I was thinking a nice muted brown.

I'm looking forward to seeing this on the workshop, and seeing what you have in store next.

Glad you like it. I''m taking your advice and darkening the bricks as well as the cinder blocks. 

8 hours ago, Bolduck91 said:

Yeah ! This is a lovely generic building !

For me, the only thing would be to add maybe next time a concrete base foundation for that brick to sit on to your texture. Something like 150 or 200 mm from the grade. But it's only a matter of realism.

Beside that, I can't wait to subscribe to it on the workshop ! ;)

I don't think I'll add a concrete base on this model (real life inspiration has brick down to the sidewalk) but I certainly will on some of my future models. 

Shouldn't be long before it's up on the workshop, just have to put together a lod and do a bit more testing. 

Good to hear. I'm anxious to see it.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating. Grand skyscrapers of glass and steel, plunging into the heavens like spires of diamonds are great, but those humble brick and stone buildings, naked, and bereft of glamour or fanfare are what gives a city its soul.

I'm very nearly finished with the model, I just need help with one last thing. As it currently stands the model is centered in the 2x4 grid rather than pushed to the streetfront. Is there a way I can alter settings in Blender so that my model sits perfectly flush with the grid edge adjoining the sidewalk? That way people wouldn't have to mess with it using the Move It mod.

As an aside, could anyone help me with making signs into nightlights? I know how to make diffuse textures glow by using a value of 120, but that is 24/7. I just want it to light up at night.

2 hours ago, Exurbanite said:

As it currently stands the model is centered in the 2x4 grid rather than pushed to the streetfront. Is there a way I can alter settings in Blender so that my model sits perfectly flush with the grid edge adjoining the sidewalk? That way people wouldn't have to mess with it using the Move It mod.

The façade has to be 4m (1/2 tile) in front of the object centre. At least it works for me, maybe there are other ways.

mkU9Uif.jpg

You will have to adjust the pivot, but no idea how you would do that in Blender.

What I do is usually create some planes to show me the grid. Each plane is 8mx8m just like in the game. I have the model sit on top of it and move it to where I want it, then select the center of the grid-model, hit shit + s, "cursor to selected", then select the actual model and hit shift + ctrl + alt + c and pick "Origin to 3D cursor" if that makes sense.

Untitled.png

Thanks for your help, guys, it sits perfectly at the sidewalk now.  Ii was simply a matter of moving the model forward by 1 meter. 

Shall I make the asset a regular RICO or a growable that is RICO ready? If the latter, I will need some pointers on how to do that exactly.

I'd suggest the latter. You'll need this mod to get a thumbnail of the growable and then you can set up RICO settings like on any other building (or leave it as growable and let others do RICO settings if they want that).

The LOD texture is a little big too big for an asset of this size. Keep that in mind for your next building ;)

Great job on this. Really well worked out first asset! *:thumb: Also love the logo.

I just subbed your first building. It looks really good. I'll be putting it in my Oldtown District first thing the next time I load my save.

Great job. I'm looking forward to your next one.

Very impressive for your first building, lovely building. 

Fantastic, can't wait to check it out in-game!!!

Finally we have a worthy successor for Attercap (I wonder where he went...)

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Judazzz said:

Fantastic, can't wait to check it out in-game!!!

Finally we have a worthy successor for Attercap (I wonder where he went...)

Only one building in and already I am bestowed with such a title? The future looks bright. *:P

So far I have 4 untextured storefront models complete right now, so the wait for more workshop releases should not be long at all. 

However, I do have an important question: What would be the best method for making low-poly 3D lettering in blender (or rather, which method do other asset creators to make their signs)? I have quite a few neat buildings planned but all of them require extruded letters in order for me to do them justice.

12 hours ago, Exurbanite said:

Only one building in and already I am bestowed with such a title? The future looks bright. *:P

So far I have 4 untextured storefront models complete right now, so the wait for more workshop releases should not be long at all. 

However, I do have an important question: What would be the best method for making low-poly 3D lettering in blender (or rather, which method do other asset creators to make their signs)? I have quite a few neat buildings planned but all of them require extruded letters in order for me to do them justice.

I'm not a creator, so take my advice with a giant grain of salt, but making them separate props might be the way to go. It seems like it would save tris on the main model. Someone who knows their stuff like @Darf or @Avanya would have to come along and say whether that's sound or not.

Alpha map the front (and back if necessary), reduce vertex points for the sides I guess. Not a big fan of making everything in props tbh.

1 person likes this

To prop or not to prop, that's the question! :P Generally I'd recommend you consider what uses it would have as a prop outside the building you're currently making. I'm guilty of making stuff props even though there's really no or little use for it outside the building I made. For 3D lettering it's easy to allow the tris to be alot higher when it's a prop on it's own than if it's part of the building (a prop of 500-1000 tris feels more ok than adding the same amount to the building "just" for the sign).

Actually making 3D letters in Blender is super easy as it supports doing so directly from writing - you can read about it here. If I remember correctly you can even get Blender to tweek the tris count. The trick to get low poly text to look good is smoothing the right parts of letters (more on smoothing here if you need it) and convincing yourself that you don't need that much detail. It's so tempting to make all the round bits nice and smooth and detailed, but for the game we really don't need much since we don't get that close. ;) And if you don't need it then leave out the back of the letters :)

Here's some example of 3D lettering/logos - and the C in CIM could very likely have been less detailed.

Untitled.png

Well, there it is. :P

I think what @Avanya said makes a lot of sense, regarding what use they might have outside your building. If it's a logo for some kind of chain that someone might see fit to use on a number of buildings, like generic shopping centers or the bottom floor of a mix-used building, maybe prop. Otherwise, I guess building into the building's geometry is the better option.

I knew they'd know.

There's a lot to consider when deciding to make a prop for a specific building. If the prop (3d lettering) is an integral part of the asset, then either just model it onto the building, or include the prop in the same asset (which can get complicated) because a huge portion of people simply won't download the prop. 

For this Wing Stop, I had planned to make the logo a prop, specifically because I also plan to make another Wingstop to fit in with my older, nicer shopping center. But at the last minute I just decided to add it to the model because I know the number of people that subscribe to the prop will be significantly less than the number of people that subscribe to the asset. If I bundled the prop with the asset, then once I released the 2nd version, the first version would be a required item.

For my Family Dollar, I decided to use a prop because the logo needed a bigger texture map. I bundled it with the asset, but will have to list the entire asset as a required item if I want to reuse the prop for another Family Dollar. For Bloomingdale's, I used a prop since I was using it 3 times in one asset (which saved a ton of triangles). Overall, there's no specific answer to use a prop or model it into the building. You just have to weigh the pros and cons on an individual case. My personal opinion though would be to just model it into the building, especially if it's a low poly building anyway and you don't have any immediate plans to use it for another building. 

Screenshot 200a.png

5 people like this

I forgot a few other reasons for making something a prop. Like KingLeno said if it's used several places on the asset it's better to have it as a prop. Another good reason is to add variation for especially growables. It can be some chimneys or a balcony or something else, which can be set to only appear sometimes giving some more variation to an asset.

1 person likes this

I like it. Subbed. I may load up my save today and find just the right place for your first two buildings.

Keep it up.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

•  
  • Similar Content

• By RandyE
      No dependencies. All lots are 5x5 ploppables in the Reward menu, available at the start, and are network and transit enabled (capacity: 100)  Maxis lighting.
      This project is inspired by the first version of SimCity (Classic) now called 'Micropolis' developed in the 1980's and released as open source. The 7th preview is an image of a session of playing the Java version of Micropolis that is freely downloadable from github.com.
      In Micropolis there are only three same-sized squares for RCI zoning. I've used the reward system in SC4 to re-lot all 6 of the large commercial office buildings, 2 of the largest high-wealth residential, 1 of the largest high-tech industrial buildings, and 1 agricultural building. All the lots are the same area size like in Micropolis.
      The queries are the same queries used for the buildings as grown in the game.  The associated reward will only be indicated in the reward menu as the item is selected and plopped.
      The lots contain code for both the reward and the replacement building so apparently the lots provide the benefits of the reward as well as the operation of the building. The intent of making these lots is providing access to the buildings so the reward function was not evaluated, but the queries do report capacity usage for the replaced building --no 'goofy stat' for the reward. 
      NOTE:  Residential ploppables may indicate some usage initially, but will quickly degrade to Abandoned Due to Commute Time so are not functional as Residential. 
      Previews of Buildings Featuring Terrain Mods (see Preview and Install.html in zip file)
      Terrain Resources Listed in: Cori's Terrain Shoppe
      Descriptions of the 10, 5x5 Large RCI and 1 Civic Building are included in the zip file:
      The buildings appear in the reward menu with a unique menu icon, the building and reward names.  The Opera House, Farmer's Market and Tourist Trap rewards also appear in the Parks menu.
      • Van Prooijen Trading: Commercial: Convention Center
      • Ong Condos: Residential: Major Art Museum
      • Hurt Enterprise Headquarters: Commercial: Tourist Trap
      • Hogan, Wallace, and White Insurance: Commercial: Resort Hotel
      • Cahalane Communications: Civic: Bureau of Bureaucracy
      • Lind Entertainment: Commercial: Stock Exchange
      • Byall Tower : Residential: Opera House
      • Tubing Facility: Industrial: Advanced Research Center
      • Alvin's Acres: Agriculture: Farmer's Market
      • Pedriana Pharmaceuticals: Commercial: TV Station
      A stage 8 CO§§§ building in the Chicago tileset.  Capacity: 7,103
      I've given this lot project the name MicroProject and made a logo for identifying the lots in the Reward and Parks menus. Each lot appears near the original reward, with a building icon and the logo overlay. The original reward is not replaced. The re-lots are available at the start of a new city.
      Sources:
      Wiki SC4Devotion: http://www.wiki.sc4devotion.com/
      Wikia SC4: http://simcity.wikia.com/wiki/SimCity_4
    • By ESP15
      AXA Equitable Center.

New York , Manhattan , 51-52  Street / 7th Avenue 

229 meters tall.
      54 floors.
      Landmark Version
    • By AmiPolizeiFunk
      Hi Simtropolians,

I'm building my home town, Berlin, with the help of your many mods and assets (I am using 70+ mods and 600+ assets). I started playing Cities:Skylines about 2 months ago and I'm enthused by the activity happening here and in the Steam Workshop. Thank you guys! 

I'm endeavoring to add some of my own custom assets to the Workshop, but I'm new to the entire process. I'm good at photoshop, but I suck at Blender! I booted blender for the first time last week, so I'm at the rough end of a steep learning curve. You guys have been very helpful to get me over a few stumbling points. Now I'm getting ready to publish a couple of items and I'd like to run them by you first. I'm trying to start simple, but even simple objectives seem to morph into week-long efforts. Please let me know how my work can be improved.

I've got a Checkpoint Charlie cooking (check my screenshot stream on steam or on twitter, if you're interested), but let's start with the Rosinenbomber from the Deutsches Technikmuseum:

I found a DC-3 model by Giovanni E and lifted it to the top of the stock library with some prop anarchy:

I was happy to find a DC-3, but the model has some texture problems (the illumination map is always fully on) because it's an old model and was probably made before After Dark. In wanting to fix the lighting problem, I wound up re-texturing the entire model to specifically be the famous Berlin C-47 "Rosinenbomber," as well as adding some propellers.

It's starting to look decent in-game, but I still have some shadowing issues that I'm working on around the windows.

I'd like to improve the body texture so that it looks more silvery and less white in the sun (I'm using PhotoReal3 LUT and Daylight Classic mods).

Here are my current diffuse and spec maps:

How would I go about improving the look of the body surface? I'd like it to be more shiny and silvery.

My next question is, what is a good approach to make the LOD model?

Thx for looking & thx in advance for your suggestions.
      -Ami
    • By Lost_Gecko
      I've just released my first assets and I decided to create a post not because there is much to see, but rather because as an inexperienced modeler it will be a good place to collect feedback and ask for advice. (I would like to keep the forum clean from my numerous questions!)
      So my project is a modular medieval wall that is currently made out of 7 parts of a 6m high set. This is the short version, which is suitable for town walls, but a 12m set is planned. I might also do a 9m version but don't quote me on that.
      The wall parts are based on the great "stone wall" template of Sparks, so they can be placed freely and conform to terrain. I tried to make their stats balanced in terms of entertainment value. I wanted the towers to avoid flattening the terrain and as I'm not good with playing with building's properties, I went with a water tower template without stats. It's not the most convenient but it works. It's also worth noting that the assets only really work well with an anarchy mod (especially the gates that I made without roads for more freedom).
      Here is the link to the collection: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=718095394
      New short pieces and the tall set are on the way, but probably not before the end of July. You can leave suggestions or feedback so that I can improve my future assets!

• By RandyE
      These textures are freely useable and distributable for any SC4 user created content, if they are used in lot-making it is better to refer to them as a dependency and link back to this file to keep file space on the STEX free of mulitiple repeated content.  The texture data file is located in the FOLDER: Elements Textures DAT, 3 sample lots are in the FOLDER: Elements Sample Lots, and 1 7x8 test lot showing all 55 textures  is now included in the FOLDER:  Test Lot 7x8 Park. Also included are the 2 previews showing all the textures and this text in readme.txt and HTML.
      The texture '.dat' file size is 498K with 55 textures.  This volume is called 'Elements', including diagonal, broken, patterned and squared stone, dirt, grass, metal, pavement, sand, water and wood.  Also included are 3 sample lots found in the Parks Menu, each have been made functional for radical purposes of helping with start-up cash, reducing pollution and garbage, and recovery from nuclear meltdown.
      DAT FILE INCLUDED:
      FOLDER: Elements Textures DAT
      FILE: SC4_BaseTextures_Vol01_1_Elements.dat
      FOLDER: Test Lot 7x8 Park
      FILE: A0A_Base_Textures_Vol01_Elements_55_Test.SC4Lot
      This is one lot with all 55 textures in a 7x8 grid.  This lot may be used to preview the textures in-game, then delete. 
      FOLDER: Elements Sample Lots
      ---------------------------------------------
      1.) Subfolder: Patterned Grass (Anti Pollution)
      Menu description: Base Textures Elements (Anti-Pollution)
      Vol. 1: Grass Texture.  This lot is a sample which also provides some radical relief from pollution and garbage.
      Vol. 1: Elements, Use this lot as a registration mark for color and contrast.   In RGB, Red (255,0,0), Green (0, 255, 0), Blue (0, 0, 255), and Gray 50% (127, 127, 127).  This lot will radically decrease radiation.  Use this lot in the event of a nuclear power plant meltdown.  When you plop this lot you will see the Maxis 'Sparkles of Purification'.
      Vol. 1: Elements. 55 Textures: Stone, Dirt, Grass, Metal, Pavement, Sand, Water, Wood.   Use Lot Editor to see all the textures. This lot will radically increase your income by 50,000 Simoleons a month,  Use this lot to help get your city started, then bulldoze it.   When you plop this lot it will appear as a 'Business Deal' in your budget panel.

The texture images are derivatives of images from a variety of commonly, freely shared sources, hand re-worked for use with SC4.  The design of the textures leans toward lower contrast, saturation and brightness as more usual in realism, and for dimmer screens.  
      If using them for creating and distributing SC4 lots the '.FSH' file may be extracted and included as a '.DAT', but don't re-distribute changed associations between the image and the ID (instance) as that could impact another user of the file.  No crediting is required, but no claim of original artwork should be made if redistributing them with SC4 lots.
      The Texture ID Range was assigned by the BSC Texture Index at SC4 Devotion.  http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2101.0  To redistribute variations of the textures or to make your own, request and use a unique personal Texture ID Range at SC4D.
      ---/---