• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for July   06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
Cyclone Boom

list
Award Category Ideas: Trixies 2015-2016

57 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, jmsepe said:

Another suggestion I could think of is that should we have a minimum nominees per award? Like at least three (number subject to debate) nominations for Trixie CJ Best CJ otherwise the award will not be given. 

Me again, sorry. But I've been thinking about this too. Also because it's been said, there should be more competition. But then I thought - not to make a Trixie category only because there is only one person on Simtropolis that cares for this and is very good doing this - this would be unfair on the other end, as this person would never have the chance to win a Trixie - and only because he/she is unique, just because no one else is trying to do same. But if someone really deserves it, because he/she is outstanding, it would be quite hard to refuse a Trixie just because his/her talent is to rare. So on participation/motiviation  - a Trixie not given might me worse than a Trixie given without a challenging match.

Just my five cents.

2 hours ago, Whte_rbt said:

How about a "Breaking the Game" award? In my mind this would be for either a mod like SimMaster07's SC4fix dll or for extreme examples of korvering.

I don't think it's a fair approach to think first of users they deserve an award and then creating it to match them. As written before the only nonpartisan way is to forget about people at all - black, white, tall, blonde, north american, south european, clever, likeable. Forget all about the people you know. And then think what kind of ability, what kind of talent, what kind of skill you want to honour.

This - in my opinion - is not the only but a comprehensible way to avoid misscategorization.

"Miscategorization can be a logical fallacy in which diverse and dissimilar objects, concepts, entities, etc. are grouped together based upon illogical common denominators, or common denominators that virtually any concept, object or entity have in common."

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categorization)

Also you can do miscategorizations in an infinite way. If you find 1000 categories most probably it's not because the subject is so complex, but because you're acting by arbitariness. Take f.e. a man to whom the boss is saying: "sort this metal." He sees round metal pieces and rectangular metal pieces. So he sorts them, rectangular right box, round left box.

Did he sort metal?

No. He sorted forms. He missed the point to think about first, what makes metal to call it metal and what are the criteria to sort between different kind of metals. So he did a misscategorization by choosing a category that could be used as a criteria for many other stuff too but isn't by no way specific or closer related to metal.

That's one problem in choosing SimMaster07 as a category. Another - in Aristoteles terms -SimMaster07 is an essence not a species which practically means you can't form a group of different exemplars that have in common to be Simmaster07. But 'category' by definition, in logic is something very close to species in biology. One could say it works as a drawer to sort different things with a common characteristics (Aristoteles: Genos, from witch comes the word 'gender') in.

But you can say, this person created a mod. Mods are also created by other members. So you could use 'mod' as a valid category (a drawer). And also this category is Simtropolis related. It's a difference-maker (Genos) used on this site. You might call it "Best mod" or also "Best modder" or "Best SC4 modder".

And you found a category where Simmaster07 can be nominated for.

It's as simple as for the metal. First to think: what makes metal being a metal. It's their material. So to sort metal means to sort materials. The same: what makes the STEX the STEX, what makes the Forums the Forums. Black people and white people, they are categories for men. But do this categories form anything you find on Simtropolis, can you differ a mod, a post, a picture by havin black or white skin? So this, again, would be misscategorizing.

If you think about things on this site as if those were animals and you try to group this animals into species. This way you'll find Simtrop related categories. You will see this way categories aren't infinite. You will find only a certain amount. Then you beginn to repeat the almost same things differ only in smaller and smaller details. Until you've got a species that is the same as an essence (an individual) and therefore isn't a category anymore.

That was a discussion on the previous page - to make categories not that 'fine tuned' that the species only covers a few or a single exemplar..

You all guys have been having some great ideas for the CJ Trixies I should say. Though very deep inside, I don't really feel there is a need for many more new categories.

See, in my very humble opinion, I have seen a lot of overlapping and ambiguities among several of the categories some of you proposed. For instance: "Best European CJ". What do we understand for "European"? Commie blocks? Kilometers of Autobahn? The sunny beaches of Sicily? What if the author used typical English 1700s houses to recreate an American colony, is that European? What if the CJ is set in an imaginary continent? Just an example so you understand what would be the questions that I would make to myself during the nomination process; which by the way; encompassing 2 years and so much content, is not going to be easy or fast not even for the hardcore Simtropolites. Let's try to pave the way so everyone doesn't need to solve a jigsaw in order to cast their nominations.

It's not my intention to rain in anybody's parade, after all this is the Award Category Ideas thread. But in my opinion, the previous CJ Trixies list was already very complete, it would just need to have the same categories for SC4 and CSL (and perhaps SC2013?).

EDIT: If we have to award the best "Breaking the game" Trixie, please give it right now to Windows 10. Such a good job with that CD-ROM thing!! /irony.

Fantozzi, PhatHead, korver and 2 others like this

We'll never know - if Major Fantozzi's post was liked for his suggestions or simply for him being so dull. Whatever, here are my (not the Majors) suggestions for the

FORUMs. Some, I'm not the first, to sugggest them here (sorry for double mention):

Simtrop Walking Library

Best Aidman

Most bulldog Explorer (my english - not shure if this makes sense - those in mind who report their expierence by persistent tracking/observing/analizing a problem/phenomenon)

Best Custom Content Creator Thread

Best Tutorial

Most valuable (Link-)List, Catalogue or Information Collection

Best Collaboration (minimum two members form one nomination)

Best Tutoring on a Custom Content Project

Best Instructions in Gameplay/Strategies

Best short Answer, Cities:Skylines (maximum 10 words)

Best short Answer, Sim City 4 (maximum 10 words)

Best Picture Post in a "Show us ..."-Thread, Cities Skylines

Best Picture Post in a "Show us ..."-Thread, Sim City 4

Best 'A Picture says more than 1000 words' Picture Post

Most funny 'Look what happend to me' Picture Post

Most Knotty City or Network Layout Kept on Picture

Sadest City Builder Moment cought on Picture

Most promising Announcement, fullfilled

Most promising Announcement, not fullfilled

Most creative but impossible to solve request

Best Pun or Freudian Slip

(The following are on social competence and relationsship only and must be regarded as questionable - I add them just because of sentimentalism.)

Best Captain

Most Humorous Mayor

Most Sensitive Major

Cheer you up Trixie for the most mishap plagued Major

Most Missed Major

matias93 and Cyclone Boom like this

On 23.2.2017 at 9:45 PM, _Michael said:

While I understand that people want more and more Trixies to be given out, I think going too niche will make two things occur:

Another thought on this. As I said, I agree, the Trixies shouldn't spread that far out that the categories become so specialized that no one can recognize himself as a prospect. On the other hand the Trixies don't need necessary to be exclusive to each others. Like on the oscars you have 'best actor' and 'best film' and so the winning actor can be part of the wining film - so those aren't exclusive to each other.

On the opposite - if a member collects 8 or 10 Trixies, this would only reflect his importance for the site as the amount of Oscars for a film project may reflect the overall effort of the project. So again - to think the Trixies have to be equally distributed on the members, imho is the wrong approach. As to have broad categories doesn't necessarily mean to have few categories. I agree, the categories shouldn't be that specialized.

The relationship seems simple to me. If you make few highly specialized categories - this is the situation where the fewest members can participate. If you make many highly specialized categories you get to participate many members but no competition. If you make many broad categories, many members can apply to many categories. So you have many participants and probably still much competition. It seems solvable - to have for many members the chance to participate and also to win many Trixies. But shure, the 'value' of a Trixie depends on how rare they are. But again, if you think of one users winning 5 Trixies in the CJ, a total amount of 15 Trixies just for the CJ isn't that much.

And if I think about the reasons, why this shouldn't happen, why I want to divide user groups in fair, justice parts, I find it's only jealousy but not logic. I want to have them all to be equal - I want to make categories in a way no one is preferred. And you begin to think about @korverand @Ln X and how to prevent they gain all the prices and how to make it all fair. But in my opinion - exactly then - you start being unfair. Prizes are for the honor, not to practice justice. And if there are outstanding artists and they collect an outstanding amount of Trixies - this might not be justice but still it's the honor they might deserve. As also talent - nothing is as injustice as talent. It never was distributed equally amongst people, it concentrate always on only some. And I'm unshure if it's good to fix that with adjusting the prizes, to redefine aesthetics untill it matches mainstream.

So when making categories it's best to forget as much as possible about the people - who could win this who could win that. I think it's best to concentrate on the thinking - which kind of action, which kind of content you want to promote on this site. And if it's a hundred things you want to promote then offer a hundred Trixies. Logically, there's nothing wrong in doing so. The problem is: very specialized categories exclude many people from the competition. And this should be avoided.

matias93 and Takingyouthere like this

2 hours ago, Fantozzi said:

Best short Answer, Cities:Skylines (maximum 10 words)

Best short Answer, Sim City 4 (maximum 10 words)

This one is really good! And I'm utterly disclassified from it :no: I've never answered something in less than a couple of paragraphs :rofl:

And BTW, Fantozzi's Oscars analogy makes sense to me, it seems that broad, overlapping categories are the best way to keep competition dynamic and still communicate value. Also, and not in the Oscars analogy, most premiation events on organisations (uni careers, workplaces, family reunions, etc) include some zany prizes, or at least unexpected ones, for the lulz.

21 minutes ago, matias93 said:

This one is really good!

Thanks. And yes - no one can say this was a selfish suggestion *:rofl:.

(12 words)

@matias93 but, you know, it's just because we are so ...

tumblr_mnlygndeeP1stuqhto1_250.gif

matias93 likes this

To complete my embroilment in this - and strangely I feel a relief as if this was an unpleasant work to get done - my suggestion for

Custom Content Awards.

Best Content Creation Artist (overall contribution in a period, not to judge only single files, but also the engagement)

Best Startup or Best 'It's-my-first-upload-here-folks'

Mod or Modding Tool of the Year

Best Innovation (can also be a detail or a conceptional part of something, f.e. RealRailway FlexTrack introduced in NAM35)

Building of the Year, big models, SC4

Building of the Year, big models, C:S

Building of the Year, small models, SC4

Building of the Year, small models, C:S

Map of the year

Best Interchange, C:S

Lotwork of the year, SC4

Themed Set of the Year (SC4 prop and texture packs can enter too, if they are themed, f.e. tree prop packs)

Most beautiful small stuff Addition

Most usefull small stuff Addition

Best Lot-Editor Ressource Pack, SC4

Most Realistic Creation

Most Inventive Creation

Best Attention To Usability

Best Effort in Compatibility

Best Instruction Manual

Trixie of Honor for more than 5 Years Contributing

Note1: The word 'Building' represents the STEX Download Category, that includes also some structures you wouldn't call always a 'Building' in real life.

Note2: On first sight it may seem lotting is underrepresented. I considered: 1. Lotting is well represented in the Challenges. 2. Lotting is a SC4 only category (so are lot/ground-textures) 2. Lotting artists can also be nominated for the first two Trixies and the five Trixies in the last block (they are open to almost every content type). In total there are 9 Trixies on the list lottters can be nominated for.

Note3: I separated big models and small models as small models may have no chance to beat big models. You may ask how to divide them. I answer: by the meaning of the words. If you need to do it  by numbers you could set up a file size. But there is no need to make this a science. At the end, your own gut feeling for what is small and what is big is totally sufficient. Just think of where the chances are better to win and you'll do right. If you take Note1 into account this results in the fact that bigger props (Oiltanks, Cranes, Cooling Towers etc.) are the same as 'small buildings' and can also participate here.

matias93 and Cyclone Boom like this

My opinion is that we shouldn't have like 100 trixies for each game/category,but also not just 4-5 trixies.

Something middle like,which allows other people to win too,but not by an easy click.Like 15-30 categories,which LN X mentioned,grunge,airport,details etc.

No city is perfect in terms of detailing,i don't think the awards should be given the way who's city looks fully perfect.Some may not know,but a small area may even take 100 hours to build,which in my opinion is true dedication towards creation and is eligible for an award.

I strongly agree with the ideas of @Fantozzi and @Ln X,having more award groups is good,because other people have chance as well.

I think it's very important also to give people a chance of winning who do not do diorama,instead they do efficiency.Like categories could be:

Most efficient city

Most profitable city

Best working public transport

Best planning

etc...

There's a lot of great idea in this thread so far. Much like with the challenges I really appreciate how the future composition of these major simtropolis events are so open to community input. There are strong arguments to be had for both options re the number of awards. More awards would increase the likelihood that more players would be recognized for their efforts while fewer awards would increase the prestige of winning a trixie. Personally I'm in favor of the former and I agree more with a proposal like Ln X's. I don't think there is a real need to change the precedents that have already been set. In previous trixes there have been large numbers of awards handed out, for instance the last one in 2014 had 79 total awards. This didn't appear, at least from my perspective, to lessen the value of winning a trixie. Imo the level of prestige is the same if you win 3 out of 30 awards or 8 out of 80, but chances are much better you'll have more unique winnings in the larger grouping. More people winning also makes for a higher number of happy and motivated members, I can say this from personal experience *:yes: That can't be a bad thing considering how many years this game has, eventually we'll start to lose more members through attrition but we can slow that down by making people feel that their work is truly appreciated and winning a trixie is one of the few ways to make this possible. Sure there is the challenges but as we just saw they were largely dominated by one individual, deserved so of course. Having said that we should do our best to avoid possible duplicate awards and also niche awards for which there would only be one or two contenders unless they are considered significant enough such as recreating a real world location.

Just throwing out a hybrid list based on previous suggestions from the last page and the previous trixie's awards;

Forums
- most helpful member
- most welcoming member
- most friendly member (< ^ merge these two?)
- most humorous member
- most informed member on real world events
- the member who was everywhere
- most helpful staff member
- The Masters of Ceremony

CJ section (SC4 & C:S together)
- best recreation of a real world location CJ
- most attention to detail 
- most visually realistic CJ (not necessarily real world)
- most aesthetically pleasing CJ (< ^ merge these two?)
- best use of custom content (use of others BATs and lots)
- best custom lotting in a CJ (did their own lotting)
- best presentation 
- best photoshopping in a CJ
- best Asian style CJ
- best America style CJ
- best European style CJ
- best historical CJ (enough contenders?) 
- best science fiction CJ (enough contenders?) 
- best disaster in a CJ (enough contenders?) 
- best urban area 
- best CBD (< ^ merge these two?)
- best suburban area
- best rural/agricultural area
- best natural environment/landscape area
- best use of mmp's  (< ^ merge these two?)
- best industrial work/creation
- best portland (< ^ merge these two?)
- best grimy/grunge CJ
- best roadgeek/use of RHW
- best use of railroads
- best airport
- best application of public transportation
- best road map
- best transportation network overall (< ^ merge these two?)
- best functional CJ
- best city layout
- best city planner (< ^ merge these two?)
- best newspaper 
- best bonus content
- most informative CJ (< ^ merge these two?)
- most entertaining CJ
- best story in a CJ (< ^ merge these two?)
- best narration
- most chaotic CJ
- weirdest CJ (< ^ merge these two?)
- best CJ startup (first entry)
- most Awe-inspiring CJ
- best SC4 CJ overall
- best CS CJ overall
- best CJ overall

STEX/custom content section
- best original lot (single release)
- best relot (single release)
- best lotter (multiple release original lots and/or relots)
- best lot pack (modular lots)
- best automata
- BAT newcomer of the year
- most improved BATer
- most useful creation
- best large scale project
- best BAT team (would there be enough active teams?)
- best terrain map
- best tool or mod
- most important discovery/innovation (< ^ merge these two?)
- best/most useful dependency 
- most helpful member/behind the scenes BAT support
- most anticipated BAT
- Best BAT
- quickest high quality BATer
- BATer of the year 
- highest overall quality in custom content releases (BATs, lots & other mods)

Miscellaneous
- We Miss You; Come Back
- The Simtropolis Triple Crown (overall excellence in all areas; CJ's, custom content & forums)
- In Memoriam
and of course saving the best for last 
- the Best Dirktator award *;)

That comes out to 78 awards, plus 20 if SC4 & C:S are separated in the custom content section which may seem on the high side. But minus 16 maybe more for similar awards or categories which would lack of competitors. In any case whatever the categories may end up being I strongly believe that we should follow the previous precedents rather than abruptly changing the format and dramatically drop the total number of awards.

So from a custom content perspective one thing that I've always disliked about the categories is that they are for individual pieces of custom content, rather than the people making them. 

But I think that for most custom content creators their accomplishments are accumulative rather than singular. Many people release many BATs that are of a good quality but this format is biased towards people who make one or two standout BATs. 

BAT of the Year is a good type of award for a singular work. 

But in general I'd rather have most of them converted to the author. So in the past there was Best Pre-War BAT, but I'd rather that be Best Pre-War BATer. 

I also really like the Most Improved, Highest Overall Quality, and Quickest Quality. And also the Triple Crown. :)

JP Schriefer, Fantozzi and nos.17 like this

23 minutes ago, Jasoncw said:

But I think that for most custom content creators their accomplishments are accumulative rather than singular

I agree, but I also agree with the other side of the discussion. There can be the best batter of the year and the best bat of the year,  these generally won't be the same people. What if we had a couple awards referencing members and a couple referencing content? Best BATer,  and Best BAT?

I also agree with @Takingyouthere's list,  with some of those awards combined. A bigger presence should be paid to the forum awards too. Lots of people exist just to discuss topics,  and I think their achievements are being underrepresented in that list. 

@Fantozzi has some great suggestions too. I wonder if you could combine your suggestions into what you think are your must include awards and we'll all discuss how they fit with previous Trixies awards and suggestions others have made!

This discussion is awesome guys, keep it up :thumb:

2 hours ago, Jasoncw said:

So from a custom content perspective one thing that I've always disliked about the categories is that they are for individual pieces of custom content, rather than the people making them. 

Indeed. 'Best bat' and 'best batter' - these refer on different qualities. And the efford to support the community with custom content can't be measured by a single bat very well. Also I thought not only content but als the motivation to share and to act in community interests should be honored some way - therefore I thought for 'best documentation' and 'best presentation'.

1 hour ago, Hamish said:

A bigger presence should be paid to the forum awards too. Lots of people exist just to discuss topics,  and I think their achievements are being underrepresented in that list.

Prolly need one simply called the RSC Trixie for @rsc204 as the most consistently helpful member. I mean, look at him leading the Weekly, Monthly, and Yearly leaderboards. :thumb:

Fantozzi likes this

4 minutes ago, CorinaMarie said:

Prolly need one simply called the RSC Trixie for @rsc204 as the most consistently helpful member. I mean, look at him leading the Weekly, Monthly, and Yearly leaderboards.

I would take a different approach on this. You know, if people become legendary, prizes don't matter anymore. Instead prizes themselfs carry their names. Like the nobel prize or the pulitzer prize or the Elk of Göttingen. So maybe a trixie for the most rsc'ish member might be the right way to express what @rsc204 means to the community. Or simply the RSC in gold, silver and bronze. Similar as I could imagine a  'A Nonny Moose Award' for an overall attendance in the forums.

matias93, nos.17, MeMyself&I and 1 other like this

1 hour ago, CorinaMarie said:

RSC Trixie for @rsc204 as the most consistently helpful member

Now this is good, The Most Consistently Helpful Member could apply to many people. It could be considered from anywhere on the forums, so I would suggest adding this to the list.

The way you came up with this is how we've come up with awards in the past. Look for member behaviours and give that a title, then see if it potentially fits the contributions of other members. :thumb: 

Has this actually been an award in the past, or could I be thinking of something else? 

1 hour ago, Fantozzi said:

A Nonny Moose Award' for an overall attendance in the forums

I like the idea behind this, but I wonder what the other admins might think. It seems like an award we should give out because of the sensitive nature of the meaning behind it. Although this would be difficult to find a quantifiable way to assign this to someone. Food for thought I suppose :???:

Fantozzi likes this

Excellent ideas everyone!

Perhaps something notable concerning an individual would be better suited as a Custom Award. Like with previous Trixies, these will again be an option when nominating. So if a broader default award (e.g. Helpful Forumer) doesn't fit a particular member, you can think up custom title, and submit it for consideration along with your reason for nominating.

The Trixie Committee will then decide which of these make it into actual awards. Usually they will be ones which are deemed especially pertinent, and have a deeper or significant meaning. Also catchy or humorous titles & descriptions won't go unnoticed either. Be creative! :D

There may of course be other 'surprise' awards which literally come right out of nowhere...

8 hours ago, Jasoncw said:

But I think that for most custom content creators their accomplishments are accumulative rather than singular. Many people release many BATs that are of a good quality but this format is biased towards people who make one or two standout BATs. 

BAT of the Year is a good type of award for a singular work. 

7 hours ago, Hamish said:

A bigger presence should be paid to the forum awards too. Lots of people exist just to discuss topics,  and I think their achievements are being underrepresented in that list. 

Super-agreement with this two ideas!  While I think that sometimes an specific work would deserve a prize by itself, even if not in a all-encompasing category, the idea of recognising creators is both more holistic and more aware of the fact that most creators are very tematic too: just a few members of the forum are dedicated to different kind of activities, game-related. If any, a prize would be deserved for a member whose creations span several styles and forms, something like a DaTrixie prize?

8 hours ago, Jasoncw said:

the author. So in the past there was Best Pre-War BAT, but I'd rather that be Best Pre-War BATer. 

Would you believe me if I say I was wondering by days at what this means? I've just recently realised that 'the war' was the WW2, and not some internal catchy name for some event on the community or something like that. I guess outside of Europe and the Commonwealth that bit of history is much less present; If you like, maybe we could try with a more self-evident name: best pre-1945 BAT? Or if we go to more picky extremes, maybe the category is for non-modernist and another one for modernist+postmodernist BAT architecture? And where would be the Bauhaus on this? Nah, too much offtopic...

Fantozzi likes this

8 hours ago, Cyclone Boom said:

The Trixie Committee will then decide

What a lucky man I am to frankly spread out the chaos of my fantasy here and not to have to carry the weight of rendition. You know, communities acting always as the god of light. And being in their service to watch over their business most of the time you end up with your feathers scorched to black. No need to do something evil - it's some kind of collateral damage of the job. 

matias93 likes this

9 hours ago, matias93 said:

I've just recently realised that 'the war' was the WW2, and not some internal catchy name for some event on the community or something like that. I guess outside of Europe and the Commonwealth that bit of history is much less present; If you like, maybe we could try with a more self-evident name: best pre-1945 BAT?

I must confess, this category to me, related on SC4. makes only sense if you want to promote buildings of a certain period and origin. As pre-war doesn't mean 'ancient' or 'medieval' for example in terms of cultural history. It covers roundabout the period from baroque to the wilhelminian era. And eras are formed by culture, by stylistic characteristics - and shure they are different around the world and to apply european eras like the 'middle ages' on different cultures is ... old fashioned?. All those scientific explorers, they started with their ships from europe - bringing exotic animals and art 'back home'. And so culture was absorbed into the 'european time scale'. But what does 'middle ages' mean regarding China? Wouldn't you use completele different categories - dynasties f.e. - to discribe eras in China? But how to make dynasties a categorie for Trixies? 

From me there arises the same problems as if you do Trixies for 'asian bats' or 'american bats' - you don't know how to end and get completeness, how to make shure you don't do discrimination by forgetting an era or world region (and time and space is always related to each other). But then suddenly the categories become too narrowed. If you say pre-war you have to say 'ancient' too to make shure not excluding someone. And then, what's about prehistoric stuff? But - are there enough batters to have a competition on ancient (greek and rome)?So it's almost impossible to set up these kind of categories in a fair way. Or you do them complete - then you get a problem with competition - or you do them selective - then you get a problem with exclusion. As for Africa or Middle East - sometimes there is stuff, rarely, but there is. And we don't want to treat it like imperialists, don't we? So you can't exclude them but you can't make a special category for them. So maybe better to drop the idear making Trixies related to periods or world regions. Even if this is a nearby thought.

But I agree on the other hand - basically there are three types of buildings, regarding the STEX and SC4 content. There are those tall, classy skyscrapers. There are those smaller houses, often of older times, with oriels and windows decoration and there are eye catching monuments. One could say these are the aesthetics which came from the game - deviding in monuments, residentials and commercials. And maybe there is a fourth one, a little bit underrepresented: civics. Civics didn't develop their own aesthetics the same way, I think. But sometimes it seems to me this game categories channeled certain aesthetics.

And in my opinion it's not good to have them in competition - skyscrapers with those small houses and monuments. I would assume therefore a Trixie for pre-war bat was created. To get the skyscrapers out of competition here. So this wasn't bad thinking in my opinion.

So it's the name of the category to be thought over.

What would be a good category to separate skyscrapers from these 'pieces of jewelry' like buildings - to give them an own category? I ended up with dividing in small and big bats - but that's quite too brash. Imagine you win this Trixie, a Trixie for the best bat in the small bats categorie. Sounds like you are 'dwarf of the year'.

What about 'nugget of the year'?

matias93 and JP Schriefer like this

Yeah the pre and postwar categories always had that problem but discussions never lead to any way of doing it better. But there is a description to the trixies that explain more. I think the description was something like "architecture styles that are predominantly associated with the period before/after world war 2". The issue of the bauhaus and other modernism from that period didn't happen in practice, but I think people would agree that it would fit the spirit of the award better in the post war category. 

The game itself has the same problem where they wanted to make groupings of architecture styles and give them simple names that people would understand. But even though to me it's crystal clear that tilesets are describing styles and not geography, a lot of people were putting shiny skyscrapers into the Chicago 1890 tileset because they were physically located in Chicago, and putting renaissance buildings in Euro because they were located in Europe. 

But anyway, while prewar and postwar are very standard ways of describing things in the US, I think combined with the description pretty much everyone around the world understands what it's really getting at. It's the difference between the government buildings in Rio vs in Brasilia or Chandigarh vs New Dehli. 

Probably a bigger issue for the pre and postwar groupings is whether that's how people actually BAT now. Back in the day BATers usually focused almost exclusively on one of those things. Bixel or paulvmontfort only did new buildings. JBSimio only did old buildings. It was the main niche that divided what kinds of buildings people made, and it was notable when someone did something different. Like Dylan going electric. :P 

JP Schriefer, matias93 and Fantozzi like this

For reference, all ideas have now been added & sorted in lists on the opening page:

Duplicates should be removed, although there may be suggestions similar in nature, all of which will be considered.

Like @Hamish explained in an announcement of the extended schedule, this thread will be closed after Wednesday March 8th. So be sure to post any ideas before then. After this, the internal process will begin to develop the official list of Award Categories.

Noice, those are looking like some very comprehensive lists right now I can't really think of anything obvious that could be missing but you never know. The total awards are a little high but I'm sure that'll be solved with merging similar ones together.  

On 25/2/2017 at 6:29 AM, Fantozzi said:

Cheer you up Trixie for the most mishap plagued Major

@Abrams124 this! I guess it could be related to the oddities thread, or simply to an active player affected by some file corruption. I think is a great way to remember them that many people love their work and is expecting a glorious recovery instead of a sad fading into the background noise

On 5.3.2017 at 2:37 AM, Cyclone Boom said:

For reference, all ideas have now been added & sorted in lists on the opening page:

I know, you might believe - it's Major Fantozzi talking with a classic sadistic work just to punish you because you don't obey - but I think the list needs to have comments for each suggestion.

And I think these comments could be structured. This means, for each entry in the list it should be indicaded f.e. if it's an award for a member or a performance. As a member can do many performances - I would guess there should be about 20% Trixies for special members and 80% for specieal performances.Roundabout.

Also, maybe, the  entries could be indicitated, if they refer on a single performance, a continous performance through the period or a 'lifetime' (memory awards f.e.).

Maybe its also possible to indicate for each entry, if it's on 'beauty/pleasure', on 'technical skills', on 'merit', on 'innovation' or on 'Enthusiasm' on 'strengthen community' or just a 'social trixie to tell someone 'we like you' etc. To give a short (one word) description of the kind of Trixie. So we could see if there are many of this kind and less of that kind.

As I think the list is already pretty long it's about to find reduncances now and to see, which suggestion points at almost the same but with different perspective etc.

While I was thinking on this, I came up, that between 15 or 20 Trixies for each section is sufficient if you think about how the categories appear there. Interestingly I found for myself, that the forum needs the most different types and therefore the most trixies, CJ is something in between and STEX uploads need slightly lesser Trixies to cover the action there. This might stern from the fact, that forums is the broadest an most unspecific section, with many types of information, entertainment, development, while CJ and STEX - what to do there is more bordered, more restricted to a certain usage. One has to see that 'forum' is some kind of 'mother/platform' to the other sections - most CJ-authors and most content creators appear also on the forums and discuss their work or showing it there.

So even if a (shure theoretical) distinction is made creators = STEX, users = CJ, one has to see, they come together in the forums. But on the other hand on the STEX and in CJ you really have to think about different categories for C:S and SC4. F.e. lotting (SC4 only), intersections (C:S only) or 'Nature' (mostly SC4). So the relations have to take in account that in some cases the Trixie has do be doubled - you do a Trixie for lotting (valid for SC4) you do on the other hand a Trixie for intersection creation (C:S) so you have them balanced in some way. So even if you need the most Trixies on the forums to cover the many different - and in some way bundleded (as you find CJ like artistry and content creation showcases and this means derivates of both other - the amount wouldn't differ that much for this reason. But then all social Trixies would focus on the forum as on batting and CJ-making 'social competence' might not create evident prizes. And all those aspects equal at the end and the forum remains in some way the platform where every active member is starting and landing.

Therefore I came up that a total amount of Trixies of roundabout less or equal to 50 would do fine. And splitted up, this would mean Forums = 19, CJ = 16,  STEX = 15. Roundabout - for orientation. Maybe.

Again one have to consider that a single member - depending on is interests and enthusiasm - could always gain more than one Trixie, in an extreme case he could win trixies in all three sections. And the fun - like at the oscars - should be a doubleded one - who gain this or that trixie but also: who gain the most, who is the supertalent of Simtropolis?

So don't worry, there have to be 50 people - also as most of the trixies should be avarded for performances and only an explict smaller part for members. To award 50 members is a total different thing than awarding 50 performances. As there aren't that much active members but many of them really doing great work - I think with 40 trixies, awarding some to the overall commitment, some to a special performance and some to honour a member and some just for the fun how unique Simtropolis is - well I think this could be a good balance.

matias93 and Edvarz like this